Maths -Exact trig values

Watch this thread
Sb2005
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
How do you work out exact trig values using the ones you already know ,without a calculator ?
e.g- the exact trig value of cos 360°
Any videos regarding this would be helpful
Last edited by Sb2005; 3 months ago
RDKGames
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Sb2005)
How do you work out exact trig values using the ones you already know ,without a calculator ?
Bunch of things to keep in mind.

Firstly, know your usual sines/cosines/tangents of typical angles 0,30,45,60,90,180,360.

Then, keep in mind periodicity of these functions. Sine & cosine repeat themselves every 360 degrees, so you can freely add/subtract multiples of 360 onto/from the argument ... so cos(420) = cos(420-360) = cos(60). Tangent repeats itself every 180 degrees so the same idea holds just with multiples of 180 instead.

Secondly, keep in mind some identities such as:

* sin(-x) = -sin(x) [ e.g. we can say that sin(-30) = -sin(30) ]
* cos(-x) = cos(x) [ e.g. we can say that cos(-45) = cos(45) ]

* sin(x) = sin(180-x) [ e.g. we can say that sin(120) = sin(180-120) = sin(60) ]
* cos(x) = cos(360-x) [ e.g. we can say that cos(315) = cos(360-315) = cos(45) ]

* tan(x) is ....(by definition) ... sin(x)/cos(x) ... so knowing the above sine and cosine tricks is sufficient to also adress tangent angles [ e.g. tan(-330) = sin(-330)/cos(-330) = sin(-330 + 360)/cos(-330 + 360) = sin(30)/cos(30) = tan(30)]

* sin(x) = cos(90-x) ... [ e.g. sin(120) = cos(90-120) = cos(-30) = cos(30) ]
* cos(x) = sin(90-x) ... these two are useful if you want to convert from sine to cosine and vice versa.
Last edited by RDKGames; 3 months ago
ElMoro
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I'd like to suggest a different approach to remembering the graphs of \sin and \cos. Namely, the idea of the unit circle.

That is, consider a circle centred on the origin with a radius of 1:

What's so important about the unit circle?

There is one very simple thing to remember about the unit circle which makes deriving trigonometric values and identities very easy.

That is: If you draw a line from the origin to a point on the circle such that the angle between the line you drew and the x-axis is t (anti-clockwise) then the point on the circle will have coordinates (\cos t, \sin t).

As the say, a picture's worth a thousand words:

Let's see how this diagram can help us determine some common trigonometric values.

Let's say we want to work out \sin 90^{\circ} and \cos 90^{\circ}.

Let's draw a line at 90° to the x-axis:

Clearly, the point (on the circle) we touch is (0, 1) so that means we can conclude that \cos 90^{\circ} = 0 and \sin 90^{\circ} = 1.

Now, let's say we want to work out \sin 0^{\circ} and \cos 0^{\circ}.

Let's draw a line at 0° to the x-axis (i.e. along the x-axis):

In this case, the point (on the circle) we touch is (1, 0) so that means we can conclude that \cos 90^{\circ} = 1 and \sin 90^{\circ} = 0.

Have a go at determining \cos 180^{\circ}, \sin 180^{\circ}, \cos 270^{\circ}, \sin 270^{\circ} using the unit circle.

Eventually, you'll likely just be able to recall these values due to familiarity but I found the unit circle an invaluable tool to derive values to build that familiarity.

It's also useful for deriving trigonometric identities:
Spoiler:
Show
For example, suppose we have an angle \theta and want to determine which other angle "has the same \sin".

Well, we know that \sin \theta is given by the y-coordinate of a point on the circle. Suppose \theta is acute:
We can see that, by symmetry, there are at most two points on the circle which have the same y-coordinate:
Name:  Screenshot 2022-01-26 at 22.53.06.png
Views: 14
Size:  55.9 KB

The point at the end of the red line and the point at the end of the blue line. The anti-clockwise angles are \theta and 180^{\circ} - \theta.

This gives us the identity \sin \theta \equiv \sin (180^{\circ} - \theta ) (we assumed that /theta was acute for the diagram's sake but this identity holds more generally).

Have a go at:
(i) Deriving a similar identity for \cos \theta using symmetry
(ii) Determining a relationship between \sin \theta and \sin (360^{\circ} - \theta )
Attached files
Last edited by ElMoro; 3 months ago
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Sb2005)
This is a GCSE topic - post #2 is far too complex.

What have you been taught about this?

https://mathsmadeeasy.co.uk/gcse-mat...nd-worksheets/
Sb2005
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Thank you very much to all of you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (8)
21.62%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (3)
8.11%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
10.81%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (4)
10.81%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (8)
21.62%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (10)
27.03%

Watched Threads