BurntToast_
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi
I was just wondering if there was a way of finding out which universities for specific courses have had places available in UCAS Extra the past few years. Or do I have to write to each one individually under a FOI request?
Is there a thread about UCAS Extra places from the previous years on TSR? I couldn't find it, sorry.

Many thanks in advance
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
Why are you interested?

There's no easy way to find out (and often universities won't keep records of this and so won't be able to respond to an FOI).
BurntToast_
Rep:
(Original post by PQ)
Why are you interested?

There's no easy way to find out (and often universities won't keep records of this and so won't be able to respond to an FOI).
I have my reasons on why I am interested. I was just wondering if there were threads on this in previous years as I couldn't find them, as when I put in UCAS Extra as a search topic, lots of threads come in. I was just hoping someone could point me in the right direction if such threads did exist.
But thanks anyway.
Last edited by BurntToast_; 2 months ago
ecolier
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by BluePanda_)
I have my reasons on why I am interested, probably because I have more rejections than offers to yet come in so UCAS Extra looks like a reality to me but thank you for your helpful reply. I was just wondering if there were threads on this in previous years as I couldn't find them, as when I put in UCAS Extra as a search topic, lots of threads come in. I was just hoping someone could point me in the right direction if such threads did exist.
But thanks anyway.
For Medicine I have kept a record (in the form of a thread), I don't know if any other courses people have done the same here on TSR.

If you're relying on UCAS having a publicly-available list, then I'm afraid you may be out of luck
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
The last 2 cycles have been very unusual so even if there was a list, they would not be a very accurate as to what might happen this year.
BurntToast_
Rep:
(Original post by ecolier)
For Medicine I have kept a record (in the form of a thread), I don't know if any other courses people have done the same here on TSR.

If you're relying on UCAS having a publicly-available list, then I'm afraid you may be out of luck
Thank you ecolier - my friend is a medic applicant and has said you have been amazing in giving so much support to applicants. She says she would have been lost without your advice! It isn't medicine though.
BurntToast_
Rep:
(Original post by Admit-One)
The last 2 cycles have been very unusual so even if there was a list, they would not be a very accurate as to what might happen this year.
Very true. Thanks. I am clutching at straws, I know!
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Very true. Thanks. I am clutching at straws, I know!
No, it makes sense to try and get as much info as you can. I am just conscious that the last 'normal' cycle was 3 years ago now. There is still some doubt as to how AL's will be awarded this year, so unis themselves really aren't going to know what is available until quite late in the day.
PQ
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I have my reasons on why I am interested, probably because I have more rejections than offers to yet come in so UCAS Extra looks like a reality to me but thank you for your helpful reply. I was just wondering if there were threads on this in previous years as I couldn't find them, as when I put in UCAS Extra as a search topic, lots of threads come in. I was just hoping someone could point me in the right direction if such threads did exist.
But thanks anyway.
There's nothing to stop you from contacting universities that you're considering and asking if they're likely to have your course in UCAS Extra.

Sometimes they'll be able to give a definite "yes" or "no" if they know if there's likely to be space or not - although often the answer will be "we don't know yet".
BurntToast_
Rep:
(Original post by Admit-One)
No, it makes sense to try and get as much info as you can. I am just conscious that the last 'normal' cycle was 3 years ago now. There is still some doubt as to how AL's will be awarded this year, so unis themselves really aren't going to know what is available until quite late in the day.
Thank you, this is helpful. I do like to have as much info as possible as it makes me feel a bit more in control. And I do know that you can have all the stats in the world, but this doesn't mean the same will happen this year! It is just a control thing!

Thanks for your time replying. Really appreciated.
Last edited by BurntToast_; 2 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (23)
19.01%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (13)
10.74%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (8)
6.61%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (20)
16.53%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (31)
25.62%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (26)
21.49%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed