The Student Room Group

Damaged paint on walls

Made the typical halls of residence mistake.

Put LED light strips on my wall and when I removed them, it ripped off some paint.

Can't find the matching colour to touch it up.

We didn't put a deposit down so I may be charged.

Anyone who's had something similar - how much were you charged?
Hi,

It might be worth contacting your landlord/whoever you are in contact with regarding your house. They can give advice and if it recently happened, it might not be a big charge since it is only paint.

All the best
Sara (Coventry University student rep)
Reply 2
Original post by Iamatuniversity
Made the typical halls of residence mistake.

Put LED light strips on my wall and when I removed them, it ripped off some paint.

Can't find the matching colour to touch it up.

We didn't put a deposit down so I may be charged.

Anyone who's had something similar - how much were you charged?

We can't really advise on charges because damage charges can be made up by the landlord depending on what day of the week it is!

The fact there wasn't a deposit put down may not be in your favour here, as that means there's no deposit protection scheme and so no access to free adjudication on whatever amount the landlord decides to charge.

However, even without a deposit, unreasonable deductions should not be paid and so you should dispute any unreasonable deductions that may arise.

I suggest sending a photo of the issue to the landlord by email and asking them whether they have any leftover paint from when the wall was painted and offering to collect the tin & brush from them and touch it up yourself. Little work for the landlord (which is what they like :smile: ).

If they refuse, ask what brand and colour was used by email and buy a little pot from a DIY store.

If they won't say, buy the closest colour you can find (get those strips of card with colour on to find a good match) and touch it up yourself by buying a little pot. Even if it's not perfect, they may not notice on the check-out inspection. If you are at this point they may be intending to wait until you move out and then charge you whatever they think they can get away with. Take the proactive actions set out above and that will be helpful evidence for you to use in any future dispute. Worst case scenario would be you touched up with a slightly wrong colour and you then have proof that was because they were obstructive.

Let us know how you get on.
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest