The Student Room Group

How many GCSE subjects 10 or 11

Hi everyone,How many subjects should I choose for my GCSEs? My school is offering a choice between 10 and 11 subjects but I am confused how many to take.Does more number of GCSEs taken benefit me at University level or it doesn't matter?Do good Colleges and Universities prefer students with higher number of GCSEs taken?Am I at a disadvantage if I pick 10 subjects but my peers have picked 11?
It won't matter at university level at all. You can do 11 if you want I guess but I wouldn't say there's any point to it. I got 10 and have never ever been at a disadvantage because of it.

It wouldn't be fair to view it differently. Some schools will only offer 9, some do something ridiculous like 14. You can't be judged on that.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by SupposedlyIronic
It won't matter at university level at all. You can do 11 if you want I guess but I wouldn't say there's any point to it. I got 10 and have never ever been at a disadvantage because of it.

It wouldn't be fair to view it differently. Some schools will only offer 9, some do something ridiculous like 14. You can't be judged on that.

Thanks for replying. I don't understand why it is so varied then, if it doesn't matter at University. What is the reason for students going for more subjects at GCSEs? Just widen their horizon or impress Unis or just because they are very capable?
Original post by Shikha2811
Thanks for replying. I don't understand why it is so varied then, if it doesn't matter at University. What is the reason for students going for more subjects at GCSEs? Just widen their horizon or impress Unis or just because they are very capable?

I'm gonna be honest I don't even know myself. I think maybe they think it gives students more chances to get high grades, or maybe makes the school look better? I really don't know to be fair lol.

Just trust me, most things want a strong pass in English Language and Maths. There are degrees and universities that may want to see more, but I've never seen anywhere actually require a certain number of GCSEs. I assume some things will but yeah the difference between 10 and 11 GCSEs is like nothing.
You don't need 11. It's really up to you though.
Reply 5
A few years ago, the way league tables worked meant that schools encouraged students to take a lot of GCSEs - so you may see people here in their 20s saying they have 12 or 13 (and I can think of some people who took 18). The way schools are assessed changed a few years ago and now most people do fewer and that's what is expected.. 8 is plenty for university and I'd say most people do 9 or 10. Taking more than 10 is not that common, except possible in grammar schools where they may average 10-11. Only do 11 if they are subjects you really want to study.

Quick Reply

Latest