The Student Room Group

Should I apply for two courses at the same university, if I would prefer one option?

I want to get into a specific University to study digital media. However, they're also offering a Communication and Media course which would be okay too. I prefer the digital media course significantly, but I have a free space in my application and want to get into this Uni.
Would it hinder my chances of getting my preferred course if I applied for another one? Would it hinder my chances of getting into the university altogether?

If anyone has any input please let me know.

Thanks
(edited 2 years ago)
It would probably neither hinder nor benefit your application. However if they have the same entry criteria, are offered by the same department, and the same uni then you would likely end up with either 2x rejections or 2x acceptances (unless they have a policy of only making one offer per applicant, in which case you may just get one offer which might just be whichever course is less subscribed and so that would LOWER your chances of getting onto your desired course) so there probably isn't much benefit in applying to both at the same uni, unless one has considerably lower entry criteria than the other (or if one uses other metrics e.g. a portoflio, interview, audition, admissions test etc).
(edited 2 years ago)
Thank you very much @artful_lounger, that was extremely helpful :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending