Home-Ed OCR A Level Classical Civilisations Help & Resources

Watch this thread
Kelseyy<3
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi everybody,
I'm thinking of independently teaching myself OCR A Level Classical Civilisations, but before making this decision, it would be great to hear other people's experiences with the subject and finding out if anybody has any resources or teaching material.

I am currently a home-ed year 12 student and have already taught myself the majority of History, English Literature and Biology, so I am already used to teaching myself without the help of a teacher. However, these topics seem to have a lot more resources than there are for Classics and I'm not too sure if the textbook will be enough.

I'm thinking of choosing the topics:
The World of the Hero: The Odyssey & The Aeneid
Culture and Arts: Greek Theatre
Beliefs and Ideas: Greek Religion
Has anybody taken these topics? Are they interesting but also relatively straight forward to get your head around? Would other topics be a better option?
Also, does anybody have an online/pdf version of the textbook that they could share?

Although I've found a couple of videos around the topics non-specific to A Level, it would be really great if anybody had some PowerPoints, workbooks or worksheets that I could add to my lessons

Thank you for taking the time out to read my post
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
Sorry you haven't had any replies to this. I've been keeping an eye on your post, hoping you might get some responses from someone that may be more useful than mine, but I guess home Ed A Level Class Civ doesn't seem all that commonplace amongst TSRians.

My daughter self-taught GCSE Class Civ last year, and I took A Level Class Civ at sixth form college (and I'm currently distance learning BA Classical Studies with the OU), but I don't have any specific advice on home edding your way through A Level Class Civ.

My daughter getting through GCSE Class Civ using the textbook material was quite straight forward. Having gone through that with her (I helped with her revision), and having been through A Level material myself (albeit at sixth form), I can tell you that there's no real reason why you wouldn't be able to self-study A Level Class Civ. It's much the same as GCSE only there's just MORE of it, if that makes sense. More temple plans, more statues, more vases, more plays... more to remember. But it's not particularly hard to wrap your head around.

The Odyssey and the Aeneid are both great books. The Odyssey is the easier one, the Aeneid is a bit heavier, but both are rich in mythology and the stories are enjoyable. You have to look past the surface layers, and analyse what sort of messages Homer and Virgil are trying to convey with them.

Definitely buy the official textbooks, but here a few website resources which might help as well:

https://www.stevenhuntclassics.com/w...7wrOWajsIPXF5A

My daughter is going to be doing A Level Class Civ at sixth form college from September, and this is the resource info she's been given from the college:

https://www.notredamecoll.ac.uk/stor...vilisation.pdf

Hope this helps in some way.
Kelseyy<3
Rep:
(Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
Sorry you haven't had any replies to this. I've been keeping an eye on your post, hoping you might get some responses from someone that may be more useful than mine, but I guess home Ed A Level Class Civ doesn't seem all that commonplace amongst TSRians.

My daughter self-taught GCSE Class Civ last year, and I took A Level Class Civ at sixth form college (and I'm currently distance learning BA Classical Studies with the OU), but I don't have any specific advice on home edding your way through A Level Class Civ.

My daughter getting through GCSE Class Civ using the textbook material was quite straight forward. Having gone through that with her (I helped with her revision), and having been through A Level material myself (albeit at sixth form), I can tell you that there's no real reason why you wouldn't be able to self-study A Level Class Civ. It's much the same as GCSE only there's just MORE of it, if that makes sense. More temple plans, more statues, more vases, more plays... more to remember. But it's not particularly hard to wrap your head around.

The Odyssey and the Aeneid are both great books. The Odyssey is the easier one, the Aeneid is a bit heavier, but both are rich in mythology and the stories are enjoyable. You have to look past the surface layers, and analyse what sort of messages Homer and Virgil are trying to convey with them.

Definitely buy the official textbooks, but here a few website resources which might help as well:

https://www.stevenhuntclassics.com/w...7wrOWajsIPXF5A

My daughter is going to be doing A Level Class Civ at sixth form college from September, and this is the resource info she's been given from the college:

https://www.notredamecoll.ac.uk/stor...vilisation.pdf

Hope this helps in some way.
Sorry I didn't see the notification for this

Thank you so much for your reply I was a little bit worried about doing classics without a teacher as i haven't done the subject before, so it's great to hear that it's do-able. I really enjoy English literature (as well as history) so hopefully analysing the texts won't be too tricky. Also, thank you for the links they're really helpful
I hope you have a great weekend,

Kelsey
PinkMobilePhone
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Kelseyy<3)
Sorry I didn't see the notification for this

Thank you so much for your reply I was a little bit worried about doing classics without a teacher as i haven't done the subject before, so it's great to hear that it's do-able. I really enjoy English literature (as well as history) so hopefully analysing the texts won't be too tricky. Also, thank you for the links they're really helpful
I hope you have a great weekend,

Kelsey
If you want a study buddy at any point, let me know. As I say my daughter will be doing A Level Class Civ from September. Yes she'll be in college, but it's the same subject, and she's been home ed all through high school so she's got that experience of knowing what it's like to self-study in general. I'm sure she'd be happy to compare notes and so on.
Last edited by PinkMobilePhone; 3 months ago
Kelseyy<3
Rep:
That would be brilliant, it would be great to have somebody to talk about the course material with and compare notes. I also do History, English Lit and Biology if she wanted to talk about those subjects too
PinkMobilePhone
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Kelseyy<3)
That would be brilliant, it would be great to have somebody to talk about the course material with and compare notes. I also do History, English Lit and Biology if she wanted to talk about those subjects too
She's going to be taking English Language and Art, so not quite the same subjects unfortunately, but still at least you'll have Classics in common.

I'll PM you.
Kelseyy<3
Rep:
(Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
She's going to be taking English Language and Art, so not quite the same subjects unfortunately, but still at least you'll have Classics in common.

I'll PM you.
That's great it would be cool to have somebody to talk about classics with,

i've sent you a PM
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (23)
19.17%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (13)
10.83%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (8)
6.67%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (20)
16.67%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (30)
25%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (26)
21.67%

Watched Threads