aliyah.04x
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
what enzyme catalyses NAD being reduced to reduced NAD?
TriplexA
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by aliyah.04x)
what enzyme catalyses NAD being reduced to reduced NAD?
Hi there

NAD coenzyme. Although I don't think you have to remember this.
Last edited by TriplexA; 3 months ago
aliyah.04x
Rep:
(Original post by TriplexA)
Hi there

my teacher asked me in class today and i was so lost i tried googling and i got mixed responses. thank you!!
aliyah.04x
Rep:
(Original post by TriplexA)
Hi there

she also asked me why oxygen is referred to as the “terminal oxygen acceptor” in respiration and i was even more lost. do you have any ideas?
A.B72
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
she also asked me why oxygen is referred to as the “terminal oxygen acceptor” in respiration and i was even more lost. do you have any ideas?
do you mean electron acceptor? its because in the electron transport chain, it accepts the electrons and protons, forming a water molecule so there aren't just low energy electrons lingering in the mitochondria- its terminal because this is the last thing that happens to the electrons during respiration
TriplexA
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Hi again.

I believe that the term she wanted simply describes the role of the enzyme. As I said knowing the enzymes name isn't essential I imagine, this is perhaps why she wanted this response and why google is telling you the actual name.

I wouldn't worry too much so long as you understand the process of respiration. If you do need to remember it but don't I think you'd only really drop 1 mark.

Hope this makes sense.
Last edited by TriplexA; 3 months ago
Mashbrohi
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Hi Aliya, do u mean in Glycolysis?
aliyah.04x
Rep:
(Original post by A.B72)
do you mean electron acceptor? its because in the electron transport chain, it accepts the electrons and protons, forming a water molecule so there aren't just low energy electrons lingering in the mitochondria- its terminal because this is the last thing that happens to the electrons during respiration
haha yes sorry that’s what i meant, alevel respiration is no joke kinda overwhelmed rn
aliyah.04x
Rep:
(Original post by Mashbrohi)
Hi Aliya, do u mean in Glycolysis?
i thought it was krebs but it could be that i’ve been so lost recently
BlueChicken
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
i thought it was krebs but it could be that i’ve been so lost recently
oxygen as the final electron acceptor is the final step in oxidative phosphorylation (so after the Krebs Cycle - the reduced NAD comes from the Krebs Cycle (or glycolysis or the link reaction) and goes into OP)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (12)
21.82%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (5)
9.09%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
7.27%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (6)
10.91%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (15)
27.27%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (13)
23.64%

Watched Threads