software engineering apprenticeship assessments

Watch this thread
*T_H*
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
i am going to be starting a degree apprenticeship in software engineering (DTS). the current info i have is that you are working as well as working on the modules in your own time. how much time is spent on this? i.e. do you have to spend a day of your weekend just doing uni work?
Chris2892
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
I did a mechanical engineering degree apprenticeship.

When we were given a lot of assignment work and had exams coming up, I was working and studying 9am to 10pm most week days, and doing uni work 20 hours a weekend for 1-3 months.

When things were calmer, it would be a couple of hours a day after work studying or doing assignment work and tutorial work.

I used 1 or 2 evenings after work during the summer holidays to catch up on the apprenticeship portfolio work.
Last edited by Chris2892; 3 months ago
*T_H*
Rep:
wow, I didn't imagine it would be that time consuming.
Chris2892
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by *T_H*)
wow, I didn't imagine it would be that time consuming.
It’s all basically self taught, so what you get out of it is what you put in. Nobody will chase you up, if you get bad marks or don’t hand something in, you won’t get any sympathy unless you have extenuating circumstances.

Best advice I can give you:
1. Do the tutorial questions and review lecture slides the best you can before lectures. No matter what. Makes life so much easier, especially exams.
2. Accept you know nothing. You’re going to feel like an idiot, and everyone does in the beginning. If you treat everyone as a potential teacher and take advice and criticism constructively, you’ve got nothing to lose.
3. Find a new hobby/activity to help you take your mind of studies. It’s easy to let your mental health slip and it always feels like it wouldn’t happen to you until it does. I nearly broke down a few times and had physical stress symptoms.
You can join your student union, or sometimes join a different uni’s union as a guest. I joined the hiking and salsa dancing societies (the latter being completely out of character). It gave me the student social experience, helped me with social skills for work, got me a new friend circle, and helped me shut off from studies.

Don’t be put off, it’s a lot of work, but you’ll have more support than a full timer and it’ll be worth it at the end (mine definitely was).
Hope this helps.
Last edited by Chris2892; 3 months ago
*T_H*
Rep:
(Original post by Chris2892)
It’s all basically self taught, so what you get out of it is what you put in. Nobody will chase you up, if you get bad marks or don’t hand something in, you won’t get any sympathy unless you have extenuating circumstances.

Best advice I can give you:
1. Do the tutorial questions and review lecture slides the best you can before lectures. No matter what. Makes life so much easier, especially exams.
2. Except you know nothing. You’re going to feel like an idiot, and everyone does in the beginning. If you treat everyone as a potential teacher and take advice and criticism constructively, you’ve got nothing to lose.
3. Find a new hobby/activity to help you take your mind of studies. It’s easy to let your mental health slip and it always feels like it wouldn’t happen to you until it does. I nearly broke down a few times and had physical stress symptoms.
You can join your student union, or sometimes join a different uni’s union as a guest. I joined the hiking and salsa dancing societies (the latter being completely out of character). It gave me the student social experience, helped me with social skills for work, got me a new friend circle, and helped me shut off from studies.

Don’t be put off, it’s a lot of work, but you’ll have more support than a full timer and it’ll be worth it at the end (mine definitely was).
Hope this helps.
thanks very helpful
Mythical Pingu
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Hey,

If you still need some help head over to our Q&A running this week on apprenticeships, we have experts available to answer your questions:

National Apprenticeship Week Q&A

MP
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (146)
66.67%
No (47)
21.46%
I didn't use it to prepare (26)
11.87%

Watched Threads