The Student Room Group

British culture

What's tragic about it. It's repressive. The formality, the protocol, the expectations of deference and people knowing their place. The idea that no-one can speak up unless they are in important positions, the self-importance, the cap-doffing and class prejudice(even as far as old and new money). The stuffiness, emotional repression. Envy and pulling people down.

All ways in which the Americans have it right and we have it wrong.

Discuss.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't think Americans necessarily have it (100%) right.
Reply 2
naivesincerity
What's tragic about it. It's repressive. The formality, the protocol, the expectations of deference and people knowing their place. The idea that no-one can speak up unless they are in important positions, the self-importance, the cap-doffing and class prejudice(even as far as old and new money). The stuffiness, emotional repression. Envy and pulling people down.

All reasons why the Americans have it right and we have it wrong.

Discuss.

i agree. this country sucks. every time i go abroad on holiday and get more smiles, friendly gestures, ''hello, where are you from?'' from total strangers in 10 minutes than in my whole life in the uk i just believe it even more.
Reply 3
I think most people who complain about this country being reserved and unfriendly have only ever lived in the south/south-east..
Reply 4
Erik.
I think most people who complain about this country being reserved and unfriendly have only ever lived in the south/south-east..

I live in the South-East and I only occasionally complain about this country being reserved and unfriendly.
Reply 5
Erik.

quoted for truth
Reply 6
naivesincerity

All ways in which the Americans have it right and we have it wrong.

Discuss.

Come up north.
Perhaps in the towns and cities, but living in a small village in East Anglia, I've always found people to be very friendly (if a little nosy).

Edit: grammar
Reply 8
I live in Manchester and people are perfectly pleasant. What is the problem with us, i just dont understand?
Reply 9
Nah, that is a pretty slanted view.
It might be like that in some places, but obviously not everyone/everywhere is like that.

I find my uni town (north west) far friendlier than my hometown (south east) :yep:
Reply 11
British culture can be summed up with three points:

- The pint measurement
- Chavs
- Stigma on friendliness.

There are places I'd much rather be. And hopefully will be within the next few years.
Reply 12
I hate the emotional repression, it's contagious though!
that ain't the britain i live in.
I don't think we're that repressed. I think we were and now we are becoming more internationalised and friendly. At least that's what I'm doing.
Reply 15
Rinsed
I've only ever lived in the south/London, and that is far from what I have ever experienced.

Ok, I'll give you stuffiness, but some what you've just written is in fact ridiculous.

The grass is always greener isn't it?

Very true.
Planto
British culture can be summed up with three points:

- The pint measurement
- Chavs
- Stigma on friendliness.

There are places I'd much rather be. And hopefully will be within the next few years.

lol lol agreed. I moved into this country 9 years ago, still can't get used it it.
more
-racism
-violent culture
-government sucks
-slutty girls
I'm sure there are people in Los Angeles thinking how America has it wrong with fat people and guns everywhere and how Britain has it right. :rolleyes:

You cant make such baseless generalisations because you've seen a tiny section of a countries culture.
silverwolfalpha
lol lol agreed. I moved into this country 9 years ago, still can't get used it it.
more
-racism
-violent culture
-government sucks
-slutty girls

You live in a rubbish area then. That doesnt apply to the whole country.
Reply 19
I've never been to america so I dont know how it compares to the UK, but I love British culture, sure it has it's down points, but which culture doesn't? From what Ive seen of America from the media eg, examples of extremism, high crime rates, the fact that people are allowed to carry guns, capital punishment etc, I'd rather live in the UK any day of the week :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending