I'm struggling in second year of university

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
hi there, ever since December I have been struggling with university due to factors outside my life such as catching omricon twice, family problems, alongside my pre-existing mental health issues.

As a result, i have been struggling to complete my four assignments that i had planned to do ASAP from the beginning on of December. i currently have only done 2/4 with one of them last week due to me not being in the right state of mind....i did not reference properly/edit words from sources which i may get in trouble for....

has anyone else experienced hard times like this at uni and what advice would you give me
Anonymous #2
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
hi there, ever since December I have been struggling with university due to factors outside my life such as catching omricon twice, family problems, alongside my pre-existing mental health issues.

As a result, i have been struggling to complete my four assignments that i had planned to do ASAP from the beginning on of December. i currently have only done 2/4 with one of them last week due to me not being in the right state of mind....i did not reference properly/edit words from sources which i may get in trouble for....

has anyone else experienced hard times like this at uni and what advice would you give me
Get off here, stop whinging, stop wasting everyone's time and get on with it then
Anonymous #3
Report 3 months ago

hi there!

first of all, i'd just like to say, please ignore that anon who just replied to you - your feelings are valid and having a place to vent and seek advice and comfort is far from a waste of time! it is something every student needs, sometimes there just isn't space to breathe!!

What you are going through sounds incredibly tough, even making an attempt at your work must have required alot of strength. You can't be expected to put in your all when you are not in the right state of mind. It might mean your grades will be affected but you know you have the potential and your intelligence is not defined by any number on a piece of paper.

And you are definitely not alone! i can only relate to the family problems and mental health issues but i was in a similar very dark place last year (the final year of my degree) - i was borderline suicidal, heavily unmotivated and thought i wouldn't even be able to graduate... i was on route to a first at the beginning of final year, but in February i got the result for an exam and it shattered me as it was quite low. It was still possible for me to get a first but it made me so depressed and i lost every organisational skill in my body..... my uni had a policy because of covid where we could not complete a module and "first sit" it in the summer uncapped. (this is also the case if you have ECs) I was so brain dead from family issues, my mental health, being cooped up in my tiny box room for a whole year, that i ended up not even attempting an exam, a 3k essay and i didn't even submit my non-existant dissertation.....i was able to submit these later in the Summer and while It took longer than it should have and the route wasn't exactly ideal, i did eventually graduate and with a First!! I never thought it was possible OP so never give up hope and even in my regressive state of mind, the want and need to do well pushed me to do my work to the best. It wasn't exactly how i planned it, but being able to do my coursework in the Summer really really helped me as i was not in the right state of mind from March-June.

Do you still have your motivation OP? It's okay if you don't right now, but this is your reminder to find it - you will only be able to perform well if you want it enough. If it is possible for you to take some time out or get extenuating circumstances, i would recommend it. Your mental health comes first, always.

I literally want to work in mental health research so i will stand by this conviction!
Anonymous #4
Report 3 months ago

Hey man. Fully ignore what anon 2 just said. That's so damn unhelpful and they probably have never experienced mental health problems before as they clearly can't empathise with how hard uni is on its own let alone struggling with mental health problems.
I'm in a similar situation at the moment and have spoken to my year lead. They were really supportive and have arranged for us to have a meeting this week and discuss though things in person. I'm still pretty nervous about this as I don't want to be penalised in any way but I think talking to it with them honestly and before things get any worse is the best way to go.
So yeah, I'd advise talking to anyone of your academic staff that you trust about what's going on for you and then maybe also seeking some other support from either friends, family or student counselling services just to talk things out or get some more support.
Its kinda daunting getting help I find but its better to be proactive and honest and im sure they'll help you out.
Best wishes
Anonymous #5
Report 3 months ago
😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂😂🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
Get off here, stop whinging, stop wasting everyone's time. Go do something productive instead of being a utter miserable spack spamming emojis as if you’re 10.
Anonymous #1
hi there!

first of all, i'd just like to say, please ignore that anon who just replied to you - your feelings are valid and having a place to vent and seek advice and comfort is far from a waste of time! it is something every student needs, sometimes there just isn't space to breathe!!

What you are going through sounds incredibly tough, even making an attempt at your work must have required alot of strength. You can't be expected to put in your all when you are not in the right state of mind. It might mean your grades will be affected but you know you have the potential and your intelligence is not defined by any number on a piece of paper.

And you are definitely not alone! i can only relate to the family problems and mental health issues but i was in a similar very dark place last year (the final year of my degree) - i was borderline suicidal, heavily unmotivated and thought i wouldn't even be able to graduate... i was on route to a first at the beginning of final year, but in February i got the result for an exam and it shattered me as it was quite low. It was still possible for me to get a first but it made me so depressed and i lost every organisational skill in my body..... my uni had a policy because of covid where we could not complete a module and "first sit" it in the summer uncapped. (this is also the case if you have ECs) I was so brain dead from family issues, my mental health, being cooped up in my tiny box room for a whole year, that i ended up not even attempting an exam, a 3k essay and i didn't even submit my non-existant dissertation.....i was able to submit these later in the Summer and while It took longer than it should have and the route wasn't exactly ideal, i did eventually graduate and with a First!! I never thought it was possible OP so never give up hope and even in my regressive state of mind, the want and need to do well pushed me to do my work to the best. It wasn't exactly how i planned it, but being able to do my coursework in the Summer really really helped me as i was not in the right state of mind from March-June.

Do you still have your motivation OP? It's okay if you don't right now, but this is your reminder to find it - you will only be able to perform well if you want it enough. If it is possible for you to take some time out or get extenuating circumstances, i would recommend it. Your mental health comes first, always.

I literally want to work in mental health research so i will stand by this conviction!
Hi there, thanks for taking time and effort to reply to me!

I feel incredibly comfortable knowing I am not the only one to have experienced these types of difficulties within my university studies. I'm glad you were able to graduate! Congrats!

At the moment I don't really feel that motivated or interested in my course especially since I may have submitted an essay that contains a slight bit of plagiarism last week since I want in the right state of mind!

At the moment I'm just pushing through to get my essays out the way - I really need a Mental break !!! Almost there on course to complete 3/4 essays I've had to do
Anonymous #1
Hey man. Fully ignore what anon 2 just said. That's so damn unhelpful and they probably have never experienced mental health problems before as they clearly can't empathise with how hard uni is on its own let alone struggling with mental health problems.
I'm in a similar situation at the moment and have spoken to my year lead. They were really supportive and have arranged for us to have a meeting this week and discuss though things in person. I'm still pretty nervous about this as I don't want to be penalised in any way but I think talking to it with them honestly and before things get any worse is the best way to go.
So yeah, I'd advise talking to anyone of your academic staff that you trust about what's going on for you and then maybe also seeking some other support from either friends, family or student counselling services just to talk things out or get some more support.
Its kinda daunting getting help I find but its better to be proactive and honest and im sure they'll help you out.
Best wishes
Thanks for the comfort and help! Unfortunately due to my mental health I've made a mistake with my essays submission! Pray for me that I get off leniently.. I wish I had your advice earlier where I could have took time off submitting essay's at this time!
University of Salford
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
Thanks for the comfort and help! Unfortunately due to my mental health I've made a mistake with my essays submission! Pray for me that I get off leniently.. I wish I had your advice earlier where I could have took time off submitting essay's at this time!
Hi there,

First of all, I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling! Please do ignore some of the negative comments on this thread - how you feel, and your mental health, is extremely important.

Most universities will have some form of wellbeing services and are there to support you - I really do recommend checking this out as they might be able to offer support and to signpost you to other services too!

In terms of your essay submission, I would recommend having a chat to a personal tutor/academic and see if there is anything they can recommend. Some Universities have things called something like 'Personal Mitigating Circumstances' and it's worth seeing if there is anything that can be done retrospectively and, if not, thinking about upcoming work you have ongoing and if there is anything they would recommend.

I really hope that you are feeling better soon,

Rowan
- University of Salford Rep
Toast210
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
I agree with what others have said, just wanted to say fair play to you. Getting 2 assignments done despite the circumstances is a warrior spirit right there, pushing through even in the worst of times. Try to get to wellbeing services and maybe try ask for an extension, but I can see that you're giving it everything you can in a dark time. That hard work does not go unnoticed. Just like a quote out of Naruto, keep that fighting spirit.
Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 3 months ago

Hi there,

My name is Eleanor and I'm a Student Ambassador at Coventry University who also struggles mental health.

I'm sorry to hear you've been in a bit of a down patch with your mental health, that never feels good and is almost frustrating at times.

I wondered if you asked for a deferral or an extension on your assignments as that'll help ease the stress off and Universities will always understand if you need extra time- that's why extensions exist!

Fortunately for me, when my mental health got at it's lowest, it was when the pandemic just began and my first year of University had just finished and so I had the time to be unwell and focus on me. I know I would of struggled at University though in that state as I couldn't even sit down and draw -I study Illustration & Animation- which would of probably made me fail second year if I didn't luckily get better before Uni began again.

What I did to get better was finally face my issues head on- I have been avoiding what triggers my anxiety for so long as I found ways to hide it from others but like most mental illness, this didn't help and in fact made the worries bigger until it exploded on me. I decided it was time to get better and finally listen to myself- I began taking sertraline and did CBT.

I would highly advice CBT if you've done a lot of counselling. Counselling is all about talking about the trauma whilst CBT Therapy is about finding your cycle of illness and destroying it, and realising: you don't need to live within the routine you've given yourself to avoid triggers.

If you're interested in looking into CBT therapy, here is a link to the NHS discussing it: https://www.nhs.uk/mental-health/tal.../how-it-works/

At Coventry University, we take mental health very seriously and have a lot of helplines and help to offer in the faculties- maybe your university has more to offer? For example, I have a mental health mentor who talks to me weekly to make sure I'm coping, looking after myself and staying on top of my work. This helps extremely and doesn't interfere in me feeling capable and independent.

I hope this helps, good luck on your work, I'm sure you'll ace it.

El
Pars1885
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 3 months ago

Hi!

1st of all I would echo the sentiments of the majority of this thread by saying I would pay no attention to the unhelpful comments on this thread.

2nd I would say you are definitely not alone, Uni is demanding at the best of times, never mind family troubles and back to back bouts of Covid - I hope you are fully recovered now?

As some have suggested its important not to keep the way you feel to yourself, Uni's do really have your interests at heart, despite the large demands in terms of coursework and deadlines. It would be worth speaking to someone at the Uni who could provide guidance. If you aren't comfortable discussing it with your tutors, then I would suggest finding out who it is at the Uni you would need to speak to. Members of Staff at Uni's will have had similar conversations countless times and are well placed to give advice/support and suggest ways forward.

Entirely different set of circumstances but I considered dropping Uni throughout second year as I realised it just wasn't what I wanted to do as a career. I spoke to some of the guidance counsellors at the Uni and they were great for listening and explaining why I felt the way I felt. I ended up staying and dot regret it either. Whilst this is different to your own experience what I can say is there is people at Uni's that will be more than willing to help.

As some of the other responses have explained, deadlines are not necessarily set in stone and mitigating circumstances may possibly apply which would give you a little breathing room.
Hope things improve soon
Anonymous #3
Report 3 months ago
Hi there, thanks for taking time and effort to reply to me!

I feel incredibly comfortable knowing I am not the only one to have experienced these types of difficulties within my university studies. I'm glad you were able to graduate! Congrats!

At the moment I don't really feel that motivated or interested in my course especially since I may have submitted an essay that contains a slight bit of plagiarism last week since I want in the right state of mind!

At the moment I'm just pushing through to get my essays out the way - I really need a Mental break !!! Almost there on course to complete 3/4 essays I've had to do
Thank you!

That's totally understandable, it's not uncommon for students to resort to plagiarising when they are facing alot of trouble. I know that plagiarism cases sky-rocketed at my university during the pandemic. I'm sure if you submit Extenuating Circumstances you will be able to wave the penalty - you definitely have valid circumstances and it's clear you weren't doing this out of laziness or to pass someone else's work off as your own.

That's great that you're pushing through - you've got this!! You definitely deserve a mental break. I hope everything works out for you!! Do try to see if you can get some sort of an extension on future work, so that you can find your motivation and energy again - you can only be expected to do well when you're at your mental and physical best!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by University of Salford)
Hi there,

First of all, I'm sorry to hear that you're struggling! Please do ignore some of the negative comments on this thread - how you feel, and your mental health, is extremely important.

Most universities will have some form of wellbeing services and are there to support you - I really do recommend checking this out as they might be able to offer support and to signpost you to other services too!

In terms of your essay submission, I would recommend having a chat to a personal tutor/academic and see if there is anything they can recommend. Some Universities have things called something like 'Personal Mitigating Circumstances' and it's worth seeing if there is anything that can be done retrospectively and, if not, thinking about upcoming work you have ongoing and if there is anything they would recommend.

I really hope that you are feeling better soon,

Rowan
- University of Salford Rep
Thank you so much Rowan for the words of comfort!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Pars1885)
Hi!

1st of all I would echo the sentiments of the majority of this thread by saying I would pay no attention to the unhelpful comments on this thread.

2nd I would say you are definitely not alone, Uni is demanding at the best of times, never mind family troubles and back to back bouts of Covid - I hope you are fully recovered now?

As some have suggested its important not to keep the way you feel to yourself, Uni's do really have your interests at heart, despite the large demands in terms of coursework and deadlines. It would be worth speaking to someone at the Uni who could provide guidance. If you aren't comfortable discussing it with your tutors, then I would suggest finding out who it is at the Uni you would need to speak to. Members of Staff at Uni's will have had similar conversations countless times and are well placed to give advice/support and suggest ways forward.

Entirely different set of circumstances but I considered dropping Uni throughout second year as I realised it just wasn't what I wanted to do as a career. I spoke to some of the guidance counsellors at the Uni and they were great for listening and explaining why I felt the way I felt. I ended up staying and dot regret it either. Whilst this is different to your own experience what I can say is there is people at Uni's that will be more than willing to help.

As some of the other responses have explained, deadlines are not necessarily set in stone and mitigating circumstances may possibly apply which would give you a little breathing room.
Hope things improve soon
Thanks for taking your time to respond... really appreciate you sharing your circumstances!🙌🙌
Anonymous #1
Thank you!

That's totally understandable, it's not uncommon for students to resort to plagiarising when they are facing alot of trouble. I know that plagiarism cases sky-rocketed at my university during the pandemic. I'm sure if you submit Extenuating Circumstances you will be able to wave the penalty - you definitely have valid circumstances and it's clear you weren't doing this out of laziness or to pass someone else's work off as your own.

That's great that you're pushing through - you've got this!! You definitely deserve a mental break. I hope everything works out for you!! Do try to see if you can get some sort of an extension on future work, so that you can find your motivation and energy again - you can only be expected to do well when you're at your mental and physical best!
Wow! I feel so comforted knowing that I am not the only plagiarised (despite not meaning it) ....as I've felt so awful over the past few days! Thanks for this hopefully I will get away with it lightly.
Pars1885
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Wow! I feel so comforted knowing that I am not the only plagiarised (despite not meaning it) ....as I've felt so awful over the past few days! Thanks for this hopefully I will get away with it lightly.
If it makes you feel any better I accidentally plagiarised my own work once!
Doing coursework for two different modules and one of the subjects was slightly intertwined in the essays I was writing for each.
I wrote a couple of paragraphs that I was happy with for the first one, copied it into my other essay and then "reworded/paraphrased" the to make a similar point in essay number 2, with the plan of deleting the copied paragraphs out. Unfortunately I accidentally deleted my new paragraph out and left the copied ones in - oops!
I explained the situation to my tutors straightaway and whilst i couldn't resubmit they took it into account and thankfully didnt come down to harsh on me as they understood I obviously didnt mean to copy my own work.
Anyway - these things happen, at least you accidentally managed to plagiarise correctly! Try not to feel too bad about it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (61)
34.46%
The paper was reasonable (70)
39.55%
Not feeling great about that exam... (28)
15.82%
It was TERRIBLE (18)
10.17%

Watched Threads