will i be caught plagiarizing?

Watch this thread
username5890700
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
i’ll make this quick. my friend’s sister (who doesn’t attend my school) sent me her coursework that she got an a* in in 2019. if i were to base my coursework on hers with basically the same ideas and opinions, will i get caught plagiarizing? do exam boards keep old copies of coursework? it isn’t available online
Hazzahawk
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
I'm guessing they do does t sound worthwhile.
biamcc25
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Most likely not. Unless your sisters work was posted as an article. Still be cautious.
username5890700
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
i worded this badly lol

i’m not copying her word for word, i just liked her idea. would carrying out the same research be seen as plagiarism?
biamcc25
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by zahra19xo)
i worded this badly lol

i’m not copying her word for word, i just liked her idea. would carrying out the same research be seen as plagiarism?
Nope, Just maybe consider asking your sister where your sister got the information. And then put it work
booklover1313
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by zahra19xo)
i worded this badly lol

Yes it would if part of the research is for it to be your idea and something original. You can do something in the same area but you can't carry out the same research if it needs to be yours.
Funtimes01_
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by username5890700)
i’ll make this quick. my friend’s sister (who doesn’t attend my school) sent me her coursework that she got an a* in in 2019. if i were to base my coursework on hers with basically the same ideas and opinions, will i get caught plagiarizing? do exam boards keep old copies of coursework? it isn’t available online
Hello.
Although this is 2 months old, I could perhaps provide some late insights for you and anyone else that may be reading this.
Exam boards only check at GCSE, A level and BTEC a sample of course work, controlled assessment and other non-exam assessment pieces. This process is usually picked at random. The rest is all internally marked by your teachers and they just submit the grades to them. Only if the coursework grades for your center's subject is all around higher or lower than previous years, may they request to moderate all of the subjects coursework pieces for that year. It does depend on the exam board as I know AQA moderate more coursework samples than others, but for exam boards like Pearson, WJEC and OCR they usually tend to only mark a smaller sample.
The sample that the exam boards moderate, they may not submit to built in plagiarism checkers like Turnitin, but they might if suspicions are raised or allegations of malpractice by the center about a candidate(s) are reported to the moderating team. It depends on the exam board and their processes of doing it. Those samples again depending on the exam board, if they've been submitted to a plagiarism checkers database like Turnitin, will stay on there. I'm unsure as to whether all exam boards keep copies of the moderated work they've looked at (I know Person (which also owns Edexcel) doesn't for example).
Regarding whether or not you'll be done for plagiarism if your piece of work was moderated, I doubt it unless you've copied the argument word for word and your style is all over the place. They have to allow some leeway for plagiarism according to JCQ guidelines in non-exam assessments which is usually about 50% from what I've read. Sometimes examiners/moderators if they believe the style of a piece of writing has changed, they may run it through a plagiarism scanner. Sometimes these are software like Turnitin, other times they may just be online plagiarism checkers. Overall though, if you take ideas and put them in your own words, this part is important. And make sure you reference properly and quote anything that you've taken from somewhere, it should be fine.
Last edited by Funtimes01_; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (121)
41.72%
Not yet, but I will soon (53)
18.28%
No (116)
40%

Watched Threads