i dislike the indian culture??

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
don't get me wrong, there are SO MANY aspects of it that i like too. but as an Indian girl myself, the culture that my family has brought me up in really pisses me off.
the fact that sex is seen as a terrible thing to my parents and having a bf is seemed to be worse than anything?? it doesn't make sense. the concept of love clearly isn't a thing as there are arranged marriages and when i talk about love in general my mom tells me that i'm 'stupid' and for me to 'grow up'.
i'm almost restricted on things i can do too. i haven't really been out with my friends alone in SO long. i think the first time i went alone with my friends was when i was in yr11, whilst everyone else went out in yr7. i felt so left out.
I hate the fact that I'm almost being forced to listen to Indian music too, and I'm considered to be 'white washed' by my own family just because i listen to mainstream things ... just to fit in with my friends. it's almost as if forcing me to listen to Indian music is making me not want to listen to it even more.

might sound white-washed by the sound of it, but i do love so many things about the Indian culture at the same time: the Bollywood movies, the food, the parties and gatherings!
anyone else partially relate?
Anonymous #2
Report 3 months ago
cant blame u, went on twitter and saw a bunch of old indian men getting pansy because they wanted to make marital rape illegal as it was within their rights to rape their wife if married.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Anonymous)
cant blame u, went on twitter and saw a bunch of old indian men getting pansy because they wanted to make marital rape illegal as it was within their rights to rape their wife if married.
yepp, it's annoying.
and how indian men are pretty much always considered as pedophiles??? i don't get that
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
Many of my desi friends feel the same way.
Some asian friends are so fed up of having centuries of their family traditions, ancient religious customs and traditional elements of asian culture shoved down their throats that they have rejected it entirely by cutting all ties & decided to assimilate into other cultures that they enjoy.

Direct imposition and the slightly more subtle tactics aimed to facilitate coercion carry a very high risk of failing in the original objectives.
Often backfiring quite spectacularly into the faces of those who crossed the line and managed to people off to the extent that they rejected most of the culture or were scared away from it forever.
Same with emotional blackmail and ultimatums.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by londonmyst)
Many of my desi friends feel the same way.
Some asian friends are so fed up of having centuries of their family traditions, ancient religious customs and traditional elements of asian culture shoved down their throats that they have rejected it entirely by cutting all ties & decided to assimilate into other cultures that they enjoy.

Direct imposition and the slightly more subtle tactics aimed to facilitate coercion carry a very high risk of failing in the original objectives.
Often backfiring quite spectacularly into the faces of those who crossed the line and managed to people off to the extent that they rejected most of the culture or were scared away from it forever.
Same with emotional blackmail and ultimatums.
it's almost like i'm being controlled by my parents so they can have the life they wish they had. it sucks
candydiva
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
Sorry to hear that. Ofc I know nothing about Indian culture just I like the food who doesn't. And the saris the colors r amazing! But I get it that this is superficial stuff and as always it's how cultures treat women that reveals how welcoming they really r. I luv Parmindar Nagra's role as Jess in Bend It Like Beckham and her strict dad tho' in the movie there's a happy ending... prolly it wouldn't be like that irl.

I am tricultural too but my xp is totally different than urs. My fam background is Latin American but thankfully our culture is rlly open towards sex and that has never been an issue. Where my fam comes from there r probs like corruption but in terms of how it affected me, I am happy to belong there. There is an element of machismo but most women larf at guys who pull that card. I remember sitting with my buds in Sao Paulo and someone was showing us her Tinder chats...one dude was aggressive and sent D-pic with the usual boastful stuff... she showed us so we all made a group voice msg for him and yelled... he vanished immediately from our friend's feed LOL! It's true btw that we live on the beach in Brazil and it's rlly great there.. there's always caipirinha kiosks and great food on the beach and the party there is eternal lol!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (17)
23.29%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (8)
10.96%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
5.48%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (10)
13.7%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (16)
21.92%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (18)
24.66%

Watched Threads