A level chemistry?

Watch this thread
cupboardfrog
Badges: 4
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
What is it like? I don't need to take it, as i'm not interested in a career in medicine,or anything to do with chemistry really i just really enjoyed it at gcse and wondered if its worth taking at a level. im also interested in geog, geology, english lang/lit and biology. i've heard chemistry is a big step up from gcse though and its very heavy and hard.
sciencelover37
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by cupboardfrog)
What is it like? I don't need to take it, as i'm not interested in a career in medicine,or anything to do with chemistry really i just really enjoyed it at gcse and wondered if its worth taking at a level. im also interested in geog, geology, english lang/lit and biology. i've heard chemistry is a big step up from gcse though and its very heavy and hard.
(Year 12) I take Chemistry, Biology and Maths, and I’ve been really enjoying Chemistry! It is quite a big step up but manageable. You do lots of practicals and learning of mechanisms and molecular structures. Could you talk to your Chemistry teacher about possibly taking it?
CalciPharm_900
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Heya! I'm currently an A-level chemistry student (year 13). It's great that you're enjoying chemistry GCSE, but as you said, yes, A-level chemistry is quite a step-up from GCSE chem. There are a lot of equations, reagents, mechanisms and conditions that you have to learn. Some are fine once you get your head around them, but some people find it really confusing. The syllabus might differ slightly depending on what exam board you're using obvsly (I'm WJEC), but it is generally mostly the same and there are a lot of extremely helpful recourses online you can use (some of them genuinely saved me from failing) I'm finding chemistry hard although I got pretty good GCSE grades, especially the inorganic chem unit where you need good numeracy skills. All in all, though, it is very interesting and the experiments are fun. You get to know why some things work the way they do. It is absolutely passable if you are into it yk.
But, as you're not really thinking of going into med or chem, I don't think it is worth taking, unless you really really want to because you enjoy it. You can take it as a fourth A-level, see how it goes and if you're finding it hard you can just drop or swap it. Let me know if you want more details
good luck
Last edited by CalciPharm_900; 3 months ago
booklover1313
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Chemistry is not 'easy', but it by no means impossible! If you enjoy it, then go for it! It gets so much more interesting after GCSE
flollr
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by cupboardfrog)
Hey. I'd say it's a big step up, but can be really interesting. It kinda depends on whether you'd want to take it further which it sounds like you're not too fussed about it. However, I can strongly recommend A-Level Geology if you currently like GCSE Physical Geography - that's what got me to take it and now I've got offers from Durham, Leicester, Exeter, etc. to do it. It's a lot of application, but if your teacher's good you'll have no issues at all =) Hope this helps
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (133)
43.04%
Not yet, but I will soon (54)
17.48%
No (122)
39.48%

Watched Threads