Future Career

Watch this thread
Lunaring
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Right now I am doing my A level on sociology , biology, psychology, and geography. So I am really confused what I should choose after 6th forum
Last edited by Lunaring; 3 months ago
lol2468
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Lunaring)
Right now I am doing my A level on sociology , biology, psychology, and geography. So I am really confused hat I should choose after 6th forum
use this website and put your A levels : https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/a-level-explorer
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Good careers website with *hundreds* of job profiles - https://www.prospects.ac.uk/job-profiles
NHS roles - https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/explore-roles
Apprenticeship search - https://www.apprenticeships.gov.uk/a...prenticeships#

List of Uni courses from two different Unis, look at courses that interest you to see what A level subjects are needed :
Newcastle - https://www.ncl.ac.uk/undergraduate/subjects/
Sussex - https://www.sussex.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/
Uni of Southampton Students
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Right now I am doing my A level on sociology , biology, psychology, and geography. So I am really confused what I should choose after 6th forum
Hi Lunaring

Choosing what to do after A-levels can definitely be really tricky! It took me a while to decide.

Personally, I did Biology, Chemistry and Geography at A-levels and chose to do a Biology degree as that was the subject I enjoyed the most. If you are interested in going to university, think about what course you currently enjoy the most and would be happy to study for another 3 years. Also do you know where you want to end up after university? If you have a specific career in mind, have a look at what qualifications you need to get to that position - do you need a certain degree? Choosing just one subject is hard so also consider doing a major/minor degree, such as Biology with Psychology. Look through each universities courses and read about them. You may find a course you didn't consider before such as marketing or business.

There are also other options too that are not university based. There are many apprenticeships you could apply for. Many big companies, such as Pfizer and M&S, have apprenticeships on offer which will provide you with all the skills you need to succeed in a career with them whilst earning at the same time. You can also do pharmacy NVQs etc - there are many opportunities out there.

What do you enjoy learning about the most?

Lauren
(Student Ambassador - BSc Biology with Year in Employment)
user432
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
bio and geo would be ur best options as what could you realistically do with the others?
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Hi Lunaring!

No worries about being confused! It's a big decision for everyone. For my A levels I did Biology, Geography and Environmental Science. I decided to study Geography at university because out of all my A levels, it was the subject I most enjoyed studying. I also liked the look of the course and the variety of careers I could go into with Geography. I enjoyed Biology, but since that was my only science and I did not do Chemistry, I knew my options and flexibility in both study and careers would be limited.

Some questions would be what did you enjoy studying most? A pros and cons list of each subject can help you rule out which subjects you'd rather pursue or not pursue. You should also do some research into future careers for the subjects you enjoy, so you may like studying psychology, but you may not like the sound of some of the jobs available. This can also be beneficial to help you know what requirements is needed if you do have a specific job in mind.

The best advice can also come from your teachers! They've taught you all this time and would have not only a good sense of your strengths, but can also give you some insight into what their experience of studying a certain subject was, what career options you may have, and what would be your best next step to take. That's what really helped me with deciding to choose to study Geography since I spoke to my Geography teacher and she was able to talk about what it was like to study at university and her job ideas.

Finally, you also have options other than uni, if you feel that tertiary education may not be the path you want to take, so talk to your parents/guardian and see if they can help guide you!

Hopefully this lessens your confusion about what you should do, and if you have any more questions feel free to post them!

Jade
An Official University of Southampton Rep
Last edited by Uni of Southampton Students; 3 months ago
Lunaring
Rep:
(Original post by Uni of Southampton Students)
Hi Lunaring!

No worries about being confused! It's a big decision for everyone. For my A levels I did Biology, Geography and Environmental Science. I decided to study Geography at university because out of all my A levels, it was the subject I most enjoyed studying. I also liked the look of the course and the variety of careers I could go into with Geography. I enjoyed Biology, but since that was my only science and I did not do Chemistry, I knew my options and flexibility in both study and careers would be limited.

Some questions would be what did you enjoy studying most? A pros and cons list of each subject can help you rule out which subjects you'd rather pursue or not pursue. You should also do some research into future careers for the subjects you enjoy, so you may like studying psychology, but you may not like the sound of some of the jobs available. This can also be beneficial to help you know what requirements is needed if you do have a specific job in mind.

The best advice can also come from your teachers! They've taught you all this time and would have not only a good sense of your strengths, but can also give you some insight into what their experience of studying a certain subject was, what career options you may have, and what would be your best next step to take. That's what really helped me with deciding to choose to study Geography since I spoke to my Geography teacher and she was able to talk about what it was like to study at university and her job ideas.

Finally, you also have options other than uni, if you feel that tertiary education may not be the path you want to take, so talk to your parents/guardian and see if they can help guide you!

Hopefully this lessens your confusion about what you should do, and if you have any more questions feel free to post them!

Jade
An Official University of Southampton Rep
Hi Lunaring

Choosing what to do after A-levels can definitely be really tricky! It took me a while to decide.

Personally, I did Biology, Chemistry and Geography at A-levels and chose to do a Biology degree as that was the subject I enjoyed the most. If you are interested in going to university, think about what course you currently enjoy the most and would be happy to study for another 3 years. Also do you know where you want to end up after university? If you have a specific career in mind, have a look at what qualifications you need to get to that position - do you need a certain degree? Choosing just one subject is hard so also consider doing a major/minor degree, such as Biology with Psychology. Look through each universities courses and read about them. You may find a course you didn't consider before such as marketing or business.

There are also other options too that are not university based. There are many apprenticeships you could apply for. Many big companies, such as Pfizer and M&S, have apprenticeships on offer which will provide you with all the skills you need to succeed in a career with them whilst earning at the same time. You can also do pharmacy NVQs etc - there are many opportunities out there.

Lauren
Thank you so much ! I would definitely try talking with my teachers
Lunaring
Rep:
Hi Lunaring

Lauren
Thank.you so much ! I like psychology and biology
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Thank.you so much ! I like psychology and biology
Both great subjects!

If you cannot decide between them, have a look at what career you would like after university. There are a range of careers you could go into with either degree such as medical communications, pharmaceutical industry, research/academia, teaching, clinical psychologist, forensic psychologist ..plus many more. Working backwards is sometimes easier than trying to work in chronological order!

Let us know which course you decide to to.

Lauren
(Student Ambassador)
Lunaring
Rep:
Thank you so much for your suggestions.❤️
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (23)
20.18%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (12)
10.53%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (8)
7.02%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (20)
17.54%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (28)
24.56%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (23)
20.18%

Watched Threads