Moving Away for Degree Apprenticeship - Funding??

Watch this thread
EV16
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I have applied to a few degree apprenticeships which would all require me to move away from home. I understand that the company/government cover the cost of the degree, however what if the salary you earn is not enough to be able to afford to live where you need to move to? Are there any loans degree apprentices can get? sort of like a uni maintenance loan but for apprenticeships?
Any help would be great
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
It depends on the employer - some do pay enough to move out on your own. I'm sure that will be a minority of the apprenticeships though.
EV16
Rep:
(Original post by ajj2000)
It depends on the employer - some do pay enough to move out on your own. I'm sure that will be a minority of the apprenticeships though.
Do you know if you can still live in a student accommodation as a degree apprentice? Not the ones that the universities own but like private halls?
ajj2000
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by EV16)
Do you know if you can still live in a student accommodation as a degree apprentice? Not the ones that the universities own but like private halls?
I don't know - I'm not sure if you are entitled to the council tax discount studying a degree apprenticeship which might be a factor. Hopefully someone can advise. I know that one poster on these boards who did an engineering degree apprenticeship got a student card so he could go the the local student union and attend clubs/ events to meet people. Not sure if thats generally feasible.
Chris2892
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by ajj2000)
I don't know - I'm not sure if you are entitled to the council tax discount studying a degree apprenticeship which might be a factor. Hopefully someone can advise. I know that one poster on these boards who did an engineering degree apprenticeship got a student card so he could go the the local student union and attend clubs/ events to meet people. Not sure if thats generally feasible.
I think this is referencing me.

You would get a student card like any other student, which includes access to all the facilities any full timer would have. However, I’m not sure part time students are eligible to live in student halls in first year (most full timers do this, meet friends, then move into shared accommodation). I don’t see any issue with standard shared accommodation, with either other students, or young professionals (graduates).

A couple of the apprentices I started with moved into shared rented accommodation. Though in summary and to give you something to action, I can suggest 2 things…

1. Identify the university the apprenticeship employer would be sending you. You can contact the student help desk to ask about accommodation options, or drop a message on the university sub-forum here on TSR. It should help you gauge if it’s a feasible option.

If you go into an interview with this information, it also shows initiative on your behalf. Arguably the most important quality in an applicant.

2. If you progress to the next stage of your application, ask your interviewer if they’re taking on multiple apprentices, or if they have a grad scheme or student placement scheme. You might be able to find shared accommodation with one of these groups.

All our grads and student placements are connected on a group chat once successful and offers are given. This allows them to chat about potentially sharing accommodation.

(Council tax relief is typically 25-50% depending on who lives in the property. I’m not sure how this works for shared accommodation)

Hope this helps.
Last edited by Chris2892; 3 months ago
EV16
Rep:
@Christ2892 thankyou so much! I'll make sure to ask at the interviews, its good to know that you can still do shared accommodation in a way to still get that social aspect
Chris2892
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by EV16)
@Christ2892 thankyou so much! I'll make sure to ask at the interviews, its good to know that you can still do shared accommodation in a way to still get that social aspect
Happy this helped

Definitely join the student union, either at the university you’re studying at as a student member, or at your nearest university as a guest member (if they allow).

Each society will typically have a give it a go “GIAG” session to kick off the academic year and get new members - I recommend going to all the ones you find interesting. They also usually have social events outside the standard classes / meet ups.

It’s a great budget friendly way to build new hobbies, skills, and friend circles. It was the highlight of my apprenticeship and I really wish I tried more things.

It’s a shame this option for apprentices isn’t more well known - there’s no reason to lose the “student experience” by separating yourself from full time students. You definitely need the mental break societies offer during an apprenticeship.
Last edited by Chris2892; 3 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (156)
41.82%
Not yet, but I will soon (69)
18.5%
No (148)
39.68%

Watched Threads