Don't know what to do after A-levels.., /Creating goals and passions?

Watch this thread
Bakugo27
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I don't have any goals and I'm not interested in any careers. I don't know what to do. I do all sciences for A-level and i applied for civil engineering at uni because my parents told me to but now I have no idea about what i want. I'm cancelling an interview i have for an apprenticeship which is tomorrow. I applied for an engineering/ tech one even though im not interested because I've gotten used to only considering jobs that pay lots. I have no hobbies either. I don't know what to do about my future
Last edited by Bakugo27; 3 months ago
heretohelp13
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Bakugo27)
I don't have any goals and I'm not interested in any careers. I don't know what to do. I do all sciences for A-level and i applied for civil engineering at uni because my parents told me to but now I have no idea about what i want. I'm cancelling an interview i have for an apprenticeship which is tomorrow. I applied for an engineering/ tech one even though im not interested because I've gotten used to only considering jobs that pay lots. I have no hobbies either. I don't know what to do about my future
Hey man, sorry to hear you are having this issue. It happens to a lot of people. Don't chase a career for money only, there is a high chance it will make you unhappy. And ignore what your parents want you to do.

What would you do if nobody cared and everything paid the same? Also how old are you? I'm guessing around 18? If so, that is way young to decide what you want to do for the rest of your life. Have you thought about taking a gap year?
Bakugo27
Rep:
(Original post by heretohelp13)
Hey man, sorry to hear you are having this issue. It happens to a lot of people. Don't chase a career for money only, there is a high chance it will make you unhappy. And ignore what your parents want you to do.

What would you do if nobody cared and everything paid the same? Also how old are you? I'm guessing around 18? If so, that is way young to decide what you want to do for the rest of your life. Have you thought about taking a gap year?
Hmm i'll think about it. Yes I'm almost 18. So am I just supposed to think about what i want to do for now? I have thought about it but I'm not sure i'd be allowed to. Thanks for your reply btw
heretohelp13
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Hmm i'll think about it. Yes I'm almost 18. So am I just supposed to think about what i want to do for now? I have thought about it but I'm not sure i'd be allowed to. Thanks for your reply btw
I think you need to be allowed the space and support to make your decision. Your late teens and twenties is the best time to explore different career options. When you say you’re not sure you’d be allowed to, do you mean your parents? As in they might not approve of it? If so, I get it. 18 is a weird time because you’re in a sort of in between where you’re not quite a fully fledged adult but not a child either.

Have you thought about talking to your parents? If you could explain to them you’re not sure what to do and don’t want to jump into something that might help. This has to be your decision what you do, it’s your life. And having science a levels is great because it gives you the maximum amount of choice. If you totally have no idea what to do then I wouldn’t make any major decisions.
Last edited by heretohelp13; 3 months ago
TriplexA
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Hi there.

You're not alone in this situation believe me. I recommend trying your best at A levels to help secure the best grades possible which can help keep your options open. You could take a gap year and perhaps find a job, volunteer, learn to drive/cook and learn other important life skills whilst also taking time to discover what you truly want in life.

Spending 3+ years at uni just for a job with good pay may not be wise as you could find gaining motivation to do work difficult - as uni needs hard work.
It'd be pointless if you were to drop out of uni, due to lack of motivation to work, so perhaps explain this angle to your parents to convince them about the benefits of you taking a gap year.

Best wishes.
Bakugo27
Rep:
(Original post by heretohelp13)
I think you need to be allowed the space and support to make your decision. Your late teens and twenties is the best time to explore different career options. When you say you’re not sure you’d be allowed to, do you mean your parents? As in they might not approve of it? If so, I get it. 18 is a weird time because you’re in a sort of in between where you’re not quite a fully fledged adult but not a child either.

Have you thought about talking to your parents? If you could explain to them you’re not sure what to do and don’t want to jump into something that might help. This has to be your decision what you do, it’s your life. And having science a levels is great because it gives you the maximum amount of choice. If you totally have no idea what to do then I wouldn’t make any major decisions.
yeah i meant my parents. Thank you so much
Bakugo27
Rep:
(Original post by TriplexA)
Hi there.

You're not alone in this situation believe me. I recommend trying your best at A levels to help secure the best grades possible which can help keep your options open. You could take a gap year and perhaps find a job, volunteer, learn to drive/cook and learn other important life skills whilst also taking time to discover what you truly want in life.

Spending 3+ years at uni just for a job with good pay may not be wise as you could find gaining motivation to do work difficult - as uni needs hard work.
It'd be pointless if you were to drop out of uni, due to lack of motivation to work, so perhaps explain this angle to your parents to convince them about the benefits of you taking a gap year.

Best wishes.
thank you!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (71)
66.98%
No (26)
24.53%
I didn't use it to prepare (9)
8.49%

Watched Threads