Worried about Uni

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I'm currently in Y13 and going to enter university next year (probably UCL for medicine).

Firstly, I'm quite introverted and don't have a lot of interests in common with most guys my age. I'm worried I'll struggle to make friends, especially since UCL doesn't really have a tight-knit community (or so I'm told).
Secondly, I'm gay: will this alienate me from making friends? Will I be able to have a relationship without being judged by them?

Will people like me fit in at uni, specifically at UCL? Will I be able to make friends easily?
Anonymous #2
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I'm currently in Y13 and going to enter university next year (probably UCL for medicine).

Firstly, I'm quite introverted and don't have a lot of interests in common with most guys my age. I'm worried I'll struggle to make friends, especially since UCL doesn't really have a tight-knit community (or so I'm told).
Secondly, I'm gay: will this alienate me from making friends? Will I be able to have a relationship without being judged by them?

Will people like me fit in at uni, specifically at UCL? Will I be able to make friends easily?
I have a relative who goes to UCL and he's bisexual and as far as I'm aware he's had a great time and has been able to make loads of friends. I know a lot of people who were introverted when they first went to university but the environment made them come out of their shell! I'm sure you'll be able to make friends and you might even find like-minded people who share interests with you, try and stay positive. I wish you all the best!
OnlyTheQuack
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
London is probably the most diverse place in the uk (this doesn't mean accepting, just diverse). Based on the fact that the population of london is roughly 9 million, you'll have a large population to find and make friends with. Make sure you go to dorms, as you can find friends quite easily there!
Anonymous #1
I have a relative who goes to UCL and he's bisexual and as far as I'm aware he's had a great time and has been able to make loads of friends. I know a lot of people who were introverted when they first went to university but the environment made them come out of their shell! I'm sure you'll be able to make friends and you might even find like-minded people who share interests with you, try and stay positive. I wish you all the best!
(Original post by OnlyTheQuack)
London is probably the most diverse place in the uk (this doesn't mean accepting, just diverse). Based on the fact that the population of london is roughly 9 million, you'll have a large population to find and make friends with. Make sure you go to dorms, as you can find friends quite easily there!
Thank you both, this is very encouraging to hear
Anonymous #3
Report 3 months ago

Hey! I completely understand your concerns But I promise London is so big and there are so many students and different types of people that it will be easy to find people you have things in common with! Yes UCL as a non campus uni lacks the same close knit sense of other places but if you try and become more extroverted or even just try and chat to a few people and join facebook groups for your uni course and stuff I'm sure you'll be fine! Uni is often the time people come out of their shell and remember people will be introverted and nervous just like you - Hope this helped a little bit.. Best of luck for your a levels!
UniversityOfSunderland
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago

Hi there,
Firstly, all the concerns and worries you currently have are totally normal. All students feel this way before starting university and you are not alone. Joining a club or society can be a great way to find friends with similar interests and you never know, you may get on really well with your coursemates and flatmates naturally. London is a big city filled with people from all walks of life so it's very likely you'll find someone you get along with great. Joining a facebook freshers group now will also help you establish some connections beforehand.
Good luck!
Uni of Southampton Students
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 months ago

Hello,

You're definitely not alone with what you're feeling. I know I had my fair share of worries before coming to uni especially because I was anxious to meet new people. Now, though, I have been finding it a lot easier and I think being at uni has definitely help me develop my social skills! I know someone who has gone to uni in London and he's had a great time making friends and getting to know lots of people.

I would suggest looking at the kinds of societies that your uni has available and see if you can find some that look new and appealing to you, or related to your own personal interests. You could even consider looking at communities outside of your uni as London is a big place with lots to do. I'm sure UCL has communities or societies for its LGBT members, and maybe you'll find it easier to make friends here and find support if you're struggling or got any worries. The university itself will also have a support network for all kinds of issues including discrimination if you ever need it (which hopefully you don't!).

Hopefully we've all in this thread been helpful and maybe eased some worries a bit. Please feel free to ask any more questions if you've got any!

Charles,

Official Southampton University Representative
Pars1885
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 3 months ago

Hey
Totally normal for people to feel apprehensive about Uni, regardless of their sexuality or whether they are intro/extroverted.
As a few people have kindly pointed out, London is the most diverse place in the UK and although you may not feel you have lots in common with other guys your age, I can guarantee you there will be plenty other guys in the same boat (and girls).
I would suggest trying to find out what societies the Uni has that do appeal to you and your interests, that way you will find like-minded people who you share common ground with and may feel easier to connect with.
Lastly, regarding being gay, this isn't coming from experience as I am straight - but it really shouldn't alienate you and is not a big deal nowadays (and rightly so!). The sort of people who it may alienate/judge you are the sort of people who you don't want to be spending time with anyway, but I wouldn't get hung up on it, it is their problem not yours. Just be yourself and you will be fine
University of Bradford
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 3 months ago

Hey!

Like others have said below, I wouldn't worry or put too much pressure on yourself! So many others will be in the exact same boat and worried about making friends - I know I was, I was very shy and decided to focus on my studies rather than going out. There's no right or wrong way to experience university life, it's different for everyone

I'd definitely recommend joining clubs and societies, that way you will be around people with common interests. You could also look into volunteering, part-time jobs on campus or becoming a student ambassador - all fab ways of meeting new people.

You'll be able to access your university support services if you do struggle with anything, but I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine and have a fantastic time at uni!

Good luck with everything,

Becky
Anonymous #1
Thank you everyone!
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago

Hiya,

This is a very common concern when moving to university. It seems so daunting, and anxiety can really make it seem quite hopeless, but I promise it's not. Everyone has this same feeling, and most people fit right into their social groups and make friends very easily. University is where you'll meet so many different kinds of people from all over, so it's really the best opportunity for you to make friends in your life yet. Constant social events, societies, new courses, everything is in place for you to meet people that you just click with.

Also, regarding your second point, no. This will in no way alienate you from making friends. Would you really want to be friends with people that would alienate you for this anyway? Definitely not. You should never ever let something like this worry you too much. It's so important that you don't let this aspect of you hold you back, it's something to be celebrated if anything. You will find your people, and I wish you all the best!

Hope this helps,
Quinn - Student Ambassador
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (23)
18.25%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (13)
10.32%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (9)
7.14%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (22)
17.46%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (33)
26.19%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (26)
20.63%

Watched Threads