A level chemistry

Watch this thread
yhh65
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
15.0g of SiO2 and 8.5g of carbon are heated together to form silicon carbide and carbon monoxide.SiO2 3C = SiC 2CO. Can somebody tell me why silicon dioxide is an excess reactant in this reaction
Last edited by yhh65; 3 months ago
bl0bf1sh
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
using the respective masses and Mr, can you work out the moles of SiO2 and C present?
yhh65
Rep:
(Original post by bl0bf1sh)
using the respective masses and Mr, can you work out the moles of SiO2 and C present?
Yes and I got
Moles for SiO2=0.25 and C= 0.7083
bl0bf1sh
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
have a look at the ratio SiO2:C in the equation
using your calculated numbers, how many moles of SiO2 are needed to react with the C present (or vice versa)?
yhh65
Rep:
have a look at the ratio SiO2:C in the equation
using your calculated numbers, how many moles of SiO2 are needed to react with the C present (or vice versa)?
0.25 moles of SiO2 is needed to react with 0.2361 or 0.24 moles of C
bl0bf1sh
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
and how many moles of C are actually present?
yhh65
Rep:
and how many moles of C are actually present?
bl0bf1sh
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
so which is the limiting reagent?
(i.e. the other must be in excess)
yhh65
Rep:
so which is the limiting reagent?
(i.e. the other must be in excess)
carbon
bl0bf1sh
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
so SiO2 is in excess! boom well done
yhh65
Rep:
so SiO2 is in excess! boom well done
Thank you
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (25)
18.94%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (15)
11.36%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (10)
7.58%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (22)
16.67%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (34)
25.76%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (26)
19.7%

Watched Threads