Troubles inserting a tampon

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Kinda TMI warning but idrc at this point, you saw what the title is about so I don't want any immature comments I just need advice.

So I've always wanted to try making tampons work because I hate the feeling of pads and want to go swimming whenever, but for some reason I've always had trouble with them. The first time I tried them was around 2 years ago and it took me ages to get it in but I managed. I was shaking really bad after. It did hurt and was uncomfortable when I sat down. I never used them again after this until a couple months ago.

So I tried again a couple months ago and managed to push the applicator in but then as soon as it was time to push the plunger part for the actual tampon to go in further, it starts to feel like really weird and kinda hurt, and it feels much tighter idk? Anyway I committed and kept pushing and it did go in eventually but as soon as I stood up I felt really dizzy, started feeling really faint and took it out straight away. Lied down for a while and felt better after a while.

Anyway now we are in the present and I just tried again. Managed to put the applicator in smoothly but then as soon as it was time to push the plunger thingy again, the same thing happened. It felt really uncomfortable and there was more pressure; this time I obviously didn't force it in further and took it out. But I don't know what to do. Has anyone else had this problem? It's so frustrating.
silkypokemon96
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
I think this might be Vaginismus maybe? But I'm a guy so I don't know, sorry if this was kinda useless.
Anonymous #2
Report 3 months ago
The key is just to relax and with first trials use lots of lube (ky or savlon or one of the many tubes for lubrication) Don't rush and if you don't succeed don't give up.

I would suggest using applicator free tampons if you feel ok with this? In the long term they are smaller, less bulky and easier to use but it is what ever you find best.

Wash your hands and keep everything clean.

Stand and put one foot up on a stool, step or just crouch. Feel all around your vaginal opening and at first just place a finger inside and then remove it. Your vaginal walls can be dry when you first try and insert a tampon and this can stick painfully to your vaginal wall. If you can insert a finger into your vagina you can insert a tampon

Make sure the tampon string is secure (give it a tug) and then push the rounded end into your vagina entrance vertically (up toward your belly button) Push on the square end of the tampon until the tampon is really high up in your vagina (or if using an applicator until the ends of the push part are nearly level with the entrance to your vagina) You can't push it in too far upwards, the higher the better as the upper end of your vagina is blocked by the start of your uterus (womb) - so its not going anywhere.

If you don't insert the tampon high enough into your vagina you will feel it when you sit down and it will hurt. If this happens just reinsert your finger and push it higher up. You should not feel the tampon at all when it is fully inserted properly.

The freedom tampons give you is worth the effort to keep trying just to be successful. Take time and relax

The tampons with applicators are ok but sometimes its easy to 'pinch' your sensitive skin between the two moving tubes. Ouch

Definitely keep trying but the secret is to use lots of lubrication or just saliva to help things along

Wash your hands again afterwards

Change your tampon every three to four hours. You may need a higher absorbency tampon overnight to get 8 hrs un-interupted leak free sleep but it is trial and error. You will also find that some makes of tampon are far more effective at being leakproof than others.
elixirhtc
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
The key is just to relax and with first trials use lots of lube (ky or savlon or one of the many tubes for lubrication) Don't rush and if you don't succeed don't give up.

I would suggest using applicator free tampons if you feel ok with this? In the long term they are smaller, less bulky and easier to use but it is what ever you find best.

Stand and put one foot up on a stool, step or just crouch. Feel all around your vaginal opening and at first just place a finger inside and then remove it. Your vaginal walls can be dry when you first try and insert a tampon and this can stick painfully to your vaginal wall. If you can insert a finger into your vagina you can insert a tampon

Make sure the tampon string is secure (give it a tug) and then push the rounded end into your vagina entrance vertically (up toward your belly button) Push on the square end of the tampon until the tampon is really high up in your vagina (or if using an applicator until the ends of the push part are nearly level with the entrance to your vagina) You can't push it in too far upwards, the higher the better as the upper end of your vagina is blocked by the start of your uterus (womb) - so its not going anywhere.

If you don't insert the tampon high enough into your vagina you will feel it when you sit down and it will hurt. If this happens just reinsert your finger and push it higher up. You should not feel the tampon at all when it is fully inserted properly.

The freedom tampons give you is worth the effort to keep trying just to be successful. Take time and relax

The tampons with applicators are ok but sometimes its easy to 'pinch' your sensitive skin between the two moving tubes. Ouch

Definitely keep trying but the secret is to use lots of lubrication or just saliva to help things along

Change your tampon every three to four hours. You may need a higher absorbency tampon overnight to get 8 hrs un-interupted leak free sleep but it is trial and error. You will also find that some makes of tampon are far more effective at being leakproof than others.
I think you did it very nice to provide the information for such
username155270
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
The first time I tried tampons I felt dizzy too!!!!!
I had to stop using them.
Tried again years later, and they are fine.

Why don’t you just use pads?
Anonymous #1

I tried yesterday following your advice and it didn’t work but then I tried again this morning and I managed! Thank you so much. I didn’t try putting one leg on the seat before and also I think I was just very nervous so now I did it as soon as I woke up so I didn’t have time to fully think lol. Thanks again.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by xobeauty)
The first time I tried tampons I felt dizzy too!!!!!
I had to stop using them.
Tried again years later, and they are fine.

Why don’t you just use pads?
I will still wear pads on lighter days but when my flow is heavier I find them kinda icky I don’t like feeling it. Also sports is very annoying to do with pads because it like bunches up and it can end up leaking :/.
parmezanne
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Anyway I committed and kept pushing and it did go in eventually but as soon as I stood up I felt really dizzy, started feeling really faint and took it out straight away. Lied down for a while and felt better after a while.
The first time I tried to use a tampon, I was in the exact same situation.

I found it was easier to find a good position first than go with the classic 'one leg up' - it just doesn't work for me. Each body is different so get properly comfortable and maybe try using a mirror so you can see what you're doing? If you're feeling dizzy, I think it's because it's just not in all the way properly.

I tried it again 2 years later and now I can use them regularly, though I mix and match because I don't personally believe they're particularly healthy for you
Last edited by parmezanne; 3 months ago
Angel in the sky
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
You can get different sizes which you probally already know
maybe try a smaller size like a lil - Letts and work your way up in size
with the smaller ones you might still have to wear a pad but it will get you used
to them for things like swimming
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (70)
19.23%
The paper was reasonable (134)
36.81%
Not feeling great about that exam... (108)
29.67%
It was TERRIBLE (52)
14.29%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed