Foundation year or no? (UK)

Watch this thread
butterflygun35
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I am an international student and my question is if you apply for the first year entry point to a particular university and they happen to reject you, what can you except to see in the response? Do they offer a foundation year? Or are you better off just applying to the foundation year instead as the qualifications do not match their requirements? Just want to know if anyone has knowledge on this and advice on whether I should rather apply for a foundation year to increase my chances of being accepted or do they provide the offer regardless?

A response would be much appreciated!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
Ask your universities if they’ll make an alternative offer for foundation entry if they can’t make an offer for first year.
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
And btw, not all Unis offer Foundation years.
username5637224
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Being an International Mum, with kids at an International school, I've seen some of my children's school friends applying to Unis such as Bath for Business/Econ, not getting offered places but being offered a foundation year specifically for International students at a local affiliated college which feeds into the f first year of the degree course if they have obtained the required grades on the foundation course. So it does happen,but how often I don't know. As suggested I would contact the Universities that interest you directly.
Last edited by username5637224; 3 months ago
Manchester Metropolitan University
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by butterflygun35)
I am an international student and my question is if you apply for the first year entry point to a particular university and they happen to reject you, what can you except to see in the response? Do they offer a foundation year? Or are you better off just applying to the foundation year instead as the qualifications do not match their requirements? Just want to know if anyone has knowledge on this and advice on whether I should rather apply for a foundation year to increase my chances of being accepted or do they provide the offer regardless?

A response would be much appreciated!
Hi butterflygun35My best recommendation would be to contact the universities you are interested in and check if your International qualifications will meet their entry requirements for the course you are interested in. For some universities, they may offer you their foundation year, if you do not meet the requirements but usually this is not guaranteed and it will be different for every university. Some universities may not have linked foundation yeer for the course you are interested in so it is worth double checking with the univeristy.

Usually, the university will be able to give you their recommendations based on your qualifications. Most universities will have a dedicated International team who will be able to handle your enquiry.

I hope this helps!

Carly
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Nobody2u)
Unis such as Bath ..... being offered a foundation year specifically for International students at a local affiliated college which feeds into the f first year of the degree course
Bath International Foundation = https://www.bath.ac.uk/courses/found...-bath-college/
Bristol International Foundation = https://www.bristol.ac.uk/academic-language/study/ifp/
Surrey International Foundation = https://isc.surrey.ac.uk/programmes/...oundation-year
Leeds International Foundation Year = https://www.leeds.ac.uk/international-foundation-year

Etc, etc
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (140)
42.68%
Not yet, but I will soon (57)
17.38%
No (131)
39.94%

Watched Threads