The Student Room Group

Foundation year or no? (UK)

I am an international student and my question is if you apply for the first year entry point to a particular university and they happen to reject you, what can you except to see in the response? Do they offer a foundation year? Or are you better off just applying to the foundation year instead as the qualifications do not match their requirements? Just want to know if anyone has knowledge on this and advice on whether I should rather apply for a foundation year to increase my chances of being accepted or do they provide the offer regardless?

A response would be much appreciated!
Ask your universities if they’ll make an alternative offer for foundation entry if they can’t make an offer for first year.
And btw, not all Unis offer Foundation years.
Being an International Mum, with kids at an International school, I've seen some of my children's school friends applying to Unis such as Bath for Business/Econ, not getting offered places but being offered a foundation year specifically for International students at a local affiliated college which feeds into the f first year of the degree course if they have obtained the required grades on the foundation course. So it does happen,but how often I don't know. As suggested I would contact the Universities that interest you directly.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by butterflygun35
I am an international student and my question is if you apply for the first year entry point to a particular university and they happen to reject you, what can you except to see in the response? Do they offer a foundation year? Or are you better off just applying to the foundation year instead as the qualifications do not match their requirements? Just want to know if anyone has knowledge on this and advice on whether I should rather apply for a foundation year to increase my chances of being accepted or do they provide the offer regardless?

Hi @butterflygun35My best recommendation would be to contact the universities you are interested in and check if your International qualifications will meet their entry requirements for the course you are interested in. For some universities, they may offer you their foundation year, if you do not meet the requirements but usually this is not guaranteed and it will be different for every university. Some universities may not have linked foundation yeer for the course you are interested in so it is worth double checking with the univeristy.

Usually, the university will be able to give you their recommendations based on your qualifications. Most universities will have a dedicated International team who will be able to handle your enquiry.

I hope this helps!

Carly :smile:
Original post by Nobody2u
Unis such as Bath ..... being offered a foundation year specifically for International students at a local affiliated college which feeds into the f first year of the degree course

Bath International Foundation = https://www.bath.ac.uk/courses/foundation-2022/university-of-bath-international-foundation-year/university-of-bath-international-foundation-year-course-licensed-to-bath-college/
Bristol International Foundation = https://www.bristol.ac.uk/academic-language/study/ifp/
Surrey International Foundation = https://isc.surrey.ac.uk/programmes/international-foundation-year
Leeds International Foundation Year = https://www.leeds.ac.uk/international-foundation-year

Etc, etc
Original post by butterflygun35

They might offer one it's much more likely to happen on results day though (called a course change) if you miss your girl the uni can if they choose to offer a related or foundation course the foundation will be either at a local collage or on campus. If this happens I'd personally take it if it's offered on campus because you get all the university things like freshers week and halls your also a pat of the university proper so you get all the resources like an extensive library (The collage one may be good but not as good.) and it will include old assignments which you can look at for guidance on what they expect and what things like a literature review is (it helps) student services etc etc you don't get quite so much of that in collage (I've been to both collage (Btec ) and uni (HND and degree)).

If they reject you clearing is most likely which might I don't know for sure include foundation years or degrees including a foundation year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending