Doesn’t studying in russell group really matter ?

Watch this thread
Original3000
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I got a offer from university of Plymouth for electrical engineering , I know it’s not Russell group but will it make it harder for me to find jobs or doesn’t really matter ?

It’s Accredited by the Institution of Engineering and Technology
https://www.plymouth.ac.uk/courses/u...ic-engineering
Last edited by Original3000; 3 months ago
sppedcup
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
not really
you can go to a russel group and have no social skills or go to a normal uni and be a really strong well rounded person
theyll pick the well rounded person
just be a good student ig
Original3000
Rep:
(Original post by sppedcup)
not really
you can go to a russel group and have no social skills or go to a normal uni and be a really strong well rounded person
just be a good student
Thanks 😊
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Original3000)
I got a offer from university of Plymouth for electrical engineering , I know it’s not Russell group but will it make it harder for me to find jobs or doesn’t really matter ?
Nope.

As long as your EE degree is accredited by the IET, for example, then you'll be fine. Get thinking about applying for insight weeks at engineering firms during first year and then start applying for summer internships in second/penultimate year. Work experience >>>>>>> where you go for university when it comes to getting jobs.
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Plymouth is a great Uni with a good reputation.
'RG' is mostly just marketing nonsense and plenty of very good Unis are not part of it.
Go to Plymouth with no worries.
mike23mike
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
There are lots of unis that are outstanding that are not part of the RG - Loughborough, Bath and Lancaster to name a few. Having said that, going to a top uni for your subject is important. Why? Because they will have the best teachers and better labs and equipment.
Ghostlady
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Congrats on your offer I would wait and see if you have any other offers, then compare the courses and the facilities, support etc before making a decision. RG doesnt really matter so much, like above, its all about teaching and the equipment.
mnot
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
EEE is very in demand degree, just make sure it’s IET accredited.
Original3000
Rep:
(Original post by mnot)
EEE is very in demand degree, just make sure it’s IET accredited.

mnot
Rep:
Report 3 months ago

Should be fine for working in industry after your degree. I don’t know any Plymouth electrical grads, but generally electrical grads are desirable graduates and electrical engineering is one of the areas with lots of jobs and is an expanding industry.
De Montfort University
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Hi there Original3000, how are you?

Congratulations on your offer!

Just because a university is a Russell Group university doesn’t necessarily mean it will make a difference to your time studying, and what you achieve beyond it. As long as you select a university that has a good course, with interesting modules and facilities that can meet your personal needs, then that’s all that matters!

Don’t pick a university that your heart isn’t 100% in, just because you think its status will help you. Russell Group or not – being happy and knowing that you are in an environment in which you will thrive is the most important thing!

I’d also advise that you look into the prospects of work experience whilst you study. Some universities offer great help and advice when it comes to securing placements, internships etc. which will boost your employability hugely. Nowadays this is the first thing that employers want to see.

Good luck!

Konnie, postgraduate student 😊
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by mike23mike)
There are lots of unis that are outstanding that are not part of the RG - Loughborough, Bath and Lancaster to name a few.
That's nonsense - for Engineering the newer unis tend to have FAR better equipment. They certainly don't have the best lecturers [RG unis are foused on research not teaching undergrads] - please find out the truth.
Shuei
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I disagree with the above replies. I would like to discuss the reality.

The above replies are to some extent true. What employers look at are your personality, experience and how well rounded you are. Also Electrical engineering, without doubt, is one of the degree that gives you loads of job opportunities.

However, employers don't only look at you and your degree when considering the application and admissions. That is the reality we all live in. Imagine someone got a first from the university of Plymouth and another person got a 2:1 at more respective/prestigious university (lets say from LSE, ICL, UCL, etc). The employers consider which university you went to and it is obvious why. Getting a first at the above universities will be way much harder and competitive compared to in Plymouth. The students who get to those university are generally more competitve and inquisitive in average.

Of course, there are non-russel universities that are comparable to some russel unis. This may be universities like Bath and Lancaster that are comparable to some of the low-mid tier russel universities. In this case, it does not matter.

But it is self explanatory why some top ruseel universities are top and why they are part of the russell group. It is not for marketing but providing brilliant teaching and as the statistics suggest, there are more from russell group universities who study further or get employed at well paid jobs. Statistics don't lie - and so as do I - so we all should accept the fact that a lot of russell groups universities provide you better opportunities (career events and better taching from leading professors in the world, etc.) compared to most non-russell (not all though). This is a fact - most russel universities have better professors in the field. . So Employers do look at which university you went to - especially if it comes to top 15 russel.

Someone might say --> but if a person from Plymouth uni has way much more work experience than someone from a top russell uni, then he has more chance. Yes, this may be true - and it is hard to discuss because it is case by case. But consider how you get work experience: you have to go through internship application process and get accepted. Employers would want to hire those from better univisersities to be their interns. This is cruel I know. But this is the truth. Russel universities have better employment and further study rate than most non-russell. I'm coming from statistics.

But it does notnmean you got no chance. You can still get a good job. But to answer the question: no, going to russel will facilitate your employment in many ways
Ghostlady
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Some employers don't even know what a Russel group uni is. And not all Russel groups are 'special and have the extra edge' because they don't. Maybe LSE, Imperial Oxbridge, UCL, Edinburgh as an exception.
econhelp525
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
You can actually spell 'Russell Group' properly (with two l's), which is more than most Russell Group TSR fetishists can say.

It's true that many Russell Groups have strong concentrations in many areas, although I'm not familiar with EEE, only Economics. It could very well be that Plymouth is particularly well regarded for engineering. To be quite honest, I don't see how it would matter either way considering it's a practical(?) subject, but that's just my understanding.
econhelp525
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by sppedcup)
not really
just be a good student ig
^^ This is true!

I spoke with someone I know at. BB Investment Bank, who said that she has rejected 'dunces' from Cambridge with a Math degree because they had no common sense and were very boring. It doesn't matter if you go to a Russell Group if you're not going to make the most of it, i.e., societies, forging connections, etc.
Deloo
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by 𝓖𝓱𝓸𝓼𝓽𝓵𝓪𝓭𝔂)
Some employers don't even know what a Russel group uni is. And not all Russel groups are 'special and have the extra edge' because they don't. Maybe LSE, Imperial Oxbridge, UCL, Edinburgh as an exception.
Again it depends on the employer and the job. But I still do belive that most russell unus are more recognised than non-russell especially with Plymouth University.

• Whilst there are universities like LSE, Oxbridge, ICL and UCL (also maybe Warwick, Durham and Edinburgh but nnt comparable to the former 5) that would give you the extra brand name and open many doors, there are also russell universities that are quite well recognised (or that are at least more recognised than non-russell unis - but maybe except university of bath - in this case, definitely more reputable than Plymouth). Universities like Manchester, King's College London, exeter, Birmingham, Bristol, Leeds, Sheffield, Queen mary University London, and Liverpool, employers would know them as good unis. These are more recognised than non-russell unis (sometines except Bath and Lancaster ).

Out of 24 russell universities, these 18 russels are for sure, are more recognised than non russell unis. Then there are Cardiff uni, Newcastle, Queen university Belfast, Southampton and York unis that are often in par with non russell unis but still more recognised than Plymouth (maybe). In the case of Bath, Lancaster and St Andrew they might be better. But generally, Employers do know 18/24 russell universities that i have identified. They know them as good universities!
Deloo
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by econhelp525)
^^ This is true!

I spoke with someone I know at. BB Investment Bank, who said that she has rejected 'dunces' from Cambridge with a Math degree because they had no common sense and were very boring. It doesn't matter if you go to a Russell Group if you're not going to make the most of it, i.e., societies, forging connections, etc.
Ofc cambridge student or russell uni students get rejected by top firms. I am not saying that they will 100 percent get accepted. What I am proposing here is that, as statistics suggest, those from russel university students tend to have better employment rate. Uni societies at top russell unis i would say are better regarded as well than most non-russell unis. Better career opportunities are provided. I am from the LSE, and I know that many IB and different companies and firms visit us for internship opportunities. This being said,russell unis provide more internship opportunities compared to non-russell universities and therefore, have better employment rate (statistics don't lie).

I am not sure if you know. But IB and top law firms have target universities from russel groups - Oxbridge, LSE, ICL, UCL and Warwick. It is time to escape from deception and see the reality. Which university you go to matter to your employment chances and opportunities.

It is funny hiw you say it is about what persona you are and what you make of it at university. I am a first year at a russell group and I think russell uni societies provide amazing opportunities and ofc the lecturers are world-leading. Having world-leading professors and mentor professors as well as having inquisitive people at Russell uni allows you to be a person who is academically competitve and inquisitive.

WHICH UNI you go to matter. And I hope people here stop making non sense... and say what matters is what you do at the university given that the university would be non russell. I hope you one day realise the reality that we live in.
Blue_Cow
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Deloo)
Again it depends on the employer and the job. But I still do belive that most russell unus are more recognised than non-russell especially with Plymouth University.

• Whilst there are universities like LSE, Oxbridge, ICL and UCL (also maybe Warwick, Durham and Edinburgh but nnt comparable to the former 5) that would give you the extra brand name and open many doors, there are also russell universities that are quite well recognised (or that are at least more recognised than non-russell unis - but maybe except university of bath - in this case, definitely more reputable than Plymouth). Universities like Manchester, King's College London, exeter, Birmingham, Bristol, Leeds, Sheffield, Queen mary University London, and Liverpool, employers would know them as good unis. These are more recognised than non-russell unis (sometines except Bath and Lancaster ).

Out of 24 russell universities, these 18 russels are for sure, are more recognised than non russell unis. Then there are Cardiff uni, Newcastle, Queen university Belfast, Southampton and York unis that are often in par with non russell unis but still more recognised than Plymouth (maybe). In the case of Bath, Lancaster and St Andrew they might be better. But generally, Employers do know 18/24 russell universities that i have identified. They know them as good universities!
Are you a recruiter?
How many graduate schemes/jobs applications have you submitted?
How many jobs and paid internships have you completed?

...because what you've written so far is abject nonsense for the vast majority of graduate jobs (especially in STEM).

If the answer is no/zero for all of the above then I'm afraid you are in for a real shock when you enter the recruitment cycle. The vast majority of organisations aren't going to give two ***** about RG. If you boast about your university at an interview you will be laughed out of the door.

I'm not actually sure you know what the Russell Group is, to be honest, given how you've described them.

Statistics don't lie (well, they do) - but people like yourself misinterpret them by not digging deeper.
Last edited by Blue_Cow; 3 months ago
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
'My Uni is better than your Uni'.
That is such a childish game.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (22)
37.93%
The paper was reasonable (21)
36.21%
Not feeling great about that exam... (10)
17.24%
It was TERRIBLE (5)
8.62%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed