The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Shuei
I disagree with the above replies. I would like to discuss the reality.

The above replies are to some extent true. What employers look at are your personality, experience and how well rounded you are. Also Electrical engineering, without doubt, is one of the degree that gives you loads of job opportunities.

However, employers don't only look at you and your degree when considering the application and admissions. That is the reality we all live in. Imagine someone got a first from the university of Plymouth and another person got a 2:1 at more respective/prestigious university (lets say from LSE, ICL, UCL, etc). The employers consider which university you went to and it is obvious why. Getting a first at the above universities will be way much harder and competitive compared to in Plymouth. The students who get to those university are generally more competitve and inquisitive in average.

Of course, there are non-russel universities that are comparable to some russel unis. This may be universities like Bath and Lancaster that are comparable to some of the low-mid tier russel universities. In this case, it does not matter.

But it is self explanatory why some top ruseel universities are top and why they are part of the russell group. It is not for marketing but providing brilliant teaching and as the statistics suggest, there are more from russell group universities who study further or get employed at well paid jobs. Statistics don't lie - and so as do I - so we all should accept the fact that a lot of russell groups universities provide you better opportunities (career events and better taching from leading professors in the world, etc.) compared to most non-russell (not all though). This is a fact - most russel universities have better professors in the field. . So Employers do look at which university you went to - especially if it comes to top 15 russel.

Someone might say --> but if a person from Plymouth uni has way much more work experience than someone from a top russell uni, then he has more chance. Yes, this may be true - and it is hard to discuss because it is case by case. But consider how you get work experience: you have to go through internship application process and get accepted. Employers would want to hire those from better univisersities to be their interns. This is cruel I know. But this is the truth. Russel universities have better employment and further study rate than most non-russell. I'm coming from statistics.

But it does notnmean you got no chance. You can still get a good job. But to answer the question: no, going to russel will facilitate your employment in many ways

This is the sort of guff written by someone who has never sat on an interview panel.
Original post by Shuei
I disagree with the above replies. I would like to discuss the reality.

The above replies are to some extent true. What employers look at are your personality, experience and how well rounded you are. Also Electrical engineering, without doubt, is one of the degree that gives you loads of job opportunities.

However, employers don't only look at you and your degree when considering the application and admissions. That is the reality we all live in. Imagine someone got a first from the university of Plymouth and another person got a 2:1 at more respective/prestigious university (lets say from LSE, ICL, UCL, etc). The employers consider which university you went to and it is obvious why. Getting a first at the above universities will be way much harder and competitive compared to in Plymouth. The students who get to those university are generally more competitve and inquisitive in average.

Of course, there are non-russel universities that are comparable to some russel unis. This may be universities like Bath and Lancaster that are comparable to some of the low-mid tier russel universities. In this case, it does not matter.

But it is self explanatory why some top ruseel universities are top and why they are part of the russell group. It is not for marketing but providing brilliant teaching and as the statistics suggest, there are more from russell group universities who study further or get employed at well paid jobs. Statistics don't lie - and so as do I - so we all should accept the fact that a lot of russell groups universities provide you better opportunities (career events and better taching from leading professors in the world, etc.) compared to most non-russell (not all though). This is a fact - most russel universities have better professors in the field. . So Employers do look at which university you went to - especially if it comes to top 15 russel.

Someone might say --> but if a person from Plymouth uni has way much more work experience than someone from a top russell uni, then he has more chance. Yes, this may be true - and it is hard to discuss because it is case by case. But consider how you get work experience: you have to go through internship application process and get accepted. Employers would want to hire those from better univisersities to be their interns. This is cruel I know. But this is the truth. Russel universities have better employment and further study rate than most non-russell. I'm coming from statistics.

But it does notnmean you got no chance. You can still get a good job. But to answer the question: no, going to russel will facilitate your employment in many ways

What is your experience with this, shuei?

Because what's seen on most threads like this is adults with actual experience saying "nah, employers really don't care" and students with zero experience regurgitating the "Russell group or bust!" marketing drivel they've been fed.

Employers don't care. They don't. I'm sorry if this scares you, but no, they are not going to employ a low quality graduate over a high quality one because of the university they went to. It's not 1950. You need to do well at the university you go to, not just get into it.
Original post by McGinger
'My Uni is better than your Uni'.
That is such a childish game.

I concur with that and also cosmic apathy's comment. Apart from the obvious unis, no-one is going to give a jot whether you studied at York/Bath Cardiff/Chester. People try to hype it up on TSR as if a russell is some 'Ivy league', its laughable..
As someone working in recruitment/admissions at a RG uni, the honest answer is no, not really.

Some RG unis might have a bit more name recognition internationally, but you could say that about a good number of non-RG's too. Similarly, if you go to a RG uni lower down the pack I don't think the fact it's a RG by itself is going to make some recruiter's heart sing.

Now as it happens the RG tends to be reasonably well resourced and attract high achievers, but it's somewhat of a self fulfilling prophecy. In the same way that going to Oxbridge isn't the thing making you successful afterwards, IE you were pretty capable if you got in and then performed well there anyway.
Original post by Deloo
Ofc cambridge student or russell uni students get rejected by top firms. I am not saying that they will 100 percent get accepted. What I am proposing here is that, as statistics suggest, those from russel university students tend to have better employment rate. Uni societies at top russell unis i would say are better regarded as well than most non-russell unis. Better career opportunities are provided. I am from the LSE, and I know that many IB and different companies and firms visit us for internship opportunities. This being said,russell unis provide more internship opportunities compared to non-russell universities and therefore, have better employment rate (statistics don't lie).

I am not sure if you know. But IB and top law firms have target universities from russel groups - Oxbridge, LSE, ICL, UCL and Warwick. It is time to escape from deception and see the reality. Which university you go to matter to your employment chances and opportunities.

It is funny hiw you say it is about what persona you are and what you make of it at university. I am a first year at a russell group and I think russell uni societies provide amazing opportunities and ofc the lecturers are world-leading. Having world-leading professors and mentor professors as well as having inquisitive people at Russell uni allows you to be a person who is academically competitve and inquisitive.

WHICH UNI you go to matter. And I hope people here stop making non sense... and say what matters is what you do at the university given that the university would be non russell. I hope you one day realise the reality that we live in.

Of course I know about target universities. However, they are different for IB and law, I don't know why you included ICL when they don't even offer law, and LSE isn't as highly represented in the Magic Circle compared to other universities. I will say also that I had people from City in Assessment Centres at a BB Bank for a front office role, so.

Universities don't provide internship opportunities, it's up to you to get them. Some universities may have an internship in some Department, but that's different.

What's funny about what I said regarding making the most out of university? I'm not disagreeing with you, what I said was that it doesn't matter if you go to a Russell Group university, if you're not going to take advantage of what they have to offer. A graduate from Nottingham with nothing but their degree is probably less competitive than a graduate from Plymouth with a slew of volunteering, internship, and society experience.

You're also being wilfully ignorant of very good non-RG universities, such as Bath, St Andrews, Lancaster, etc. Durham and York only became RG in 2012, does that mean that before 2012 that they were unserious institutions?

Your tone is misplaced in its arrogance. It's you who should realise the reality that we live in, that employers don't sit around a table and pull up rankings of what university is where. If you're a dunce of a candidate, then it wouldn't matter if you went to Cambridge or Oxford, you would fail in interviews and not be hired.

(Notice also how I didn't feel the need to include my university into my reply, because I'm not self-conscious or braggy - next time you should try it, instead of falling back on the "I go to the LSE, therefore I know better than you" argument).
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by Blue_Cow
Are you a recruiter?
How many graduate schemes/jobs applications have you submitted?
How many jobs and paid internships have you completed?

...because what you've written so far is abject nonsense for the vast majority of graduate jobs (especially in STEM).

If the answer is no/zero for all of the above then I'm afraid you are in for a real shock when you enter the recruitment cycle. The vast majority of organisations aren't going to give two ***** about RG. If you boast about your university at an interview you will be laughed out of the door.

I'm not actually sure you know what the Russell Group is, to be honest, given how you've described them.

Statistics don't lie (well, they do) - but people like yourself misinterpret them by not digging deeper.

I will just answer your question quickly. No I am not a professional recruiter. But I work at student led organisation as a HR intern and we have been recruiting students for consulting vacancies. We do recruit students from non-russell group universities, but most applicants who get interviewed are russell universities. Of course there may be a disparity between number of applications between russell students and non russell students, but russell students are still recruited way much more often - id say their A levels and GCSEs are often times better too. We don't give them opportunities because they are russell, but there is a tendency that, when recruiting, CV shows their university name first before their experience. The university they attended to show who they are as well. Being taught by world leading professors and with well rounded peers, this is also what we look for. Then we look at work experience. This was not something that we were putting too much effort in though - because we are student led organisation. So this meant that we wanted to give opportunities to those withouttoo much experience too but with greatest potential. We were limited, therefore, when looking at their CVs. This meant that we wanted to know more about those individuals with better academic profile: better university attendee and better A levels and GCSEs. For us, university partnerships were also important. If they set up a student society at their university to get more students from their school, that is very beneficial to us. This meant that we get to write their university name (the name of society) at our website to attract more students.

I have been also volunteering for HR to give students opportunities to build on their research skills (which I was also part of) with an organisation (I do not wanna say but it is an international enterprise). When I told the employer that I will set up a society at LSE to recruit LSE students, he was very very happy. We also recruited students across the UK but again, most were russell students comparatively. Most non-russel were baths i think (quite loads from baths actually). I think Baths students were comparable to most russell or even better in terms of inquisitiveness and volunteering performance.

"Have you applied to blah blah"-- With my friends I have applied to top IB and law firms. I got like 2 places out of 8 I applied to. From what I know, most of them are from russell universities - but some were from non russell like St Andrews (one of the well respected non-russell). My friend studies Maths and Finance (I think -well STEM) at the Oxford Brookes University (non-russel) and he applied to those top IB firms in London that I have applied to. Whilst I don't even study finance, and I study something very humanities, I got 2 places for IB and unfortunately, he wasn't able to.

Talking about STEM, they have loads of graduate jobs compared to non STEM degrees. However, lets be real. My another friend (we are like a trio group of friends) studies STEM at university of Bristol and he tells me that he still finds it hard to find internship opportunities even though he did in the end. Today's society is full of opportunities but there are too much competition. I know number of people who studied medicine, maths, and engineering at the Oxford brookes university. One is self-employed, and the other are unemployed (as I lived in Oxford and I knew people from church).

I am not talking nonsense here. Many employers don't look at if you are from Russell or not - and you are right - but they do look at which university you are from. If it is top 10 universities then on the CV, it will just catch their eyes. I am not saying that they will accept you because you attend better university. What I am saying is that they will be more attracted towards the CV with known university than unknown university. Then what comes after are your experience. But you will have more and better internship experience opportunities if you attend better university. Career events at top universities, are without doubt, superior.

I know what russell group is as I described them perfectly above.

Finally, how am I misinterpreting the statistics if I am directly evidencing the statistics? Coming from the ranking tables and from the university websites themselves, what can be more accurate? University ranking tables, independent university websites, admisison report, etc all show us that russell universities generally have higher employment rate and higher earned salary comparatively. I know you said that statistics do lie. In my opinion, even though I am not studying STEM or stats, statistics are the most physical evidence that you could give to support your view.

There are mixture of my personal experience and objective views coming from stats. And open your EYES blue🐄. employers do look at your university too! That is why you write it on your CV lmao. And ik that some very competitive ones (IB and Law) even directly say which university students they want from.
(edited 2 years ago)
Find it utterly hilarious that you are telling me to open my eyes when you have failed to understand the most basic concept of correlation =/= causation when it comes to statistics on student outcomes and the supposed prestige of a university.

You've just admitted yourself that you work for a student-led organisation - so not an org that spends millions on graduate recruitment each year using way more than just a CV.

I won't continue this any further. No point in discussing with somebody that can't critically analyse statistics yet insists on using them to backup a false argument.
(edited 2 years ago)
The problem is that we are conflating "RG alumni tend to have better outcomes" with "recruiters screen out non-RG applicants".

TBH I've never heard of any UK recruiter doing this. Certainly some Unis are targets and benefit from greater volume or quality or recruitment activity in some sectors, but again it's not the RG status of the uni giving them the boost. It's that have more resource to become better prepared candidates. And to repeat, you could get exactly the same at a decent non-RG uni.
Reply 28
Original post by Deloo
Ofc cambridge student or russell uni students get rejected by top firms. I am not saying that they will 100 percent get accepted. What I am proposing here is that, as statistics suggest, those from russel university students tend to have better employment rate. Uni societies at top russell unis i would say are better regarded as well than most non-russell unis. Better career opportunities are provided. I am from the LSE, and I know that many IB and different companies and firms visit us for internship opportunities. This being said,russell unis provide more internship opportunities compared to non-russell universities and therefore, have better employment rate (statistics don't lie).

I am not sure if you know. But IB and top law firms have target universities from russel groups - Oxbridge, LSE, ICL, UCL and Warwick. It is time to escape from deception and see the reality. Which university you go to matter to your employment chances and opportunities.

It is funny hiw you say it is about what persona you are and what you make of it at university. I am a first year at a russell group and I think russell uni societies provide amazing opportunities and ofc the lecturers are world-leading. Having world-leading professors and mentor professors as well as having inquisitive people at Russell uni allows you to be a person who is academically competitve and inquisitive.

WHICH UNI you go to matter. And I hope people here stop making non sense... and say what matters is what you do at the university given that the university would be non russell. I hope you one day realise the reality that we live in.

'I think russell uni societies provide amazing opportunities'.... did you know anyone can join a Russell group society even if they're not a student there lmao.....
Reply 29
Find it utterly hilarious that you are telling me to open my eyes when you have failed to understand the most basic concept of correlation =/= causation when it comes to statistics on student outcomes and the supposed prestige of a university.

You've just admitted yourself that you work for a student-led organisation - so not an org that spends millions on graduate recruitment each year using way more than just a CV.

I won't continue this any further. No point in discussing with somebody that can't critically analyse statistics yet insists on using them to backup a false argument.

This will also be my last reply. I do work at student led organisation (one of the biggest) but which provide opportunities to those without experience. And as we all need to have experience before applying to "organisation that spends millions and millions on graduate recruitment each year using way more than just CV" , I am proving that even getting places for like this, russell uni students are preferred and they are more likely to get these opportunities. And as I got places for top IB internships in London, only those from non-russel are mostly St Andrew and Baths

I do understand the basic correlation, the positive correlation between university prestige rank and the employment rate. QS graduate employability rankings in Europe suggests that russel have better employability. Of course there may be a doubt - such as that there might just be more graduates in russel unis so therefore have better employment rate - this is not true. My University (LSE) and ICL are specialist institutions meaning they don't have half of the subjects (and students) as other universities do. But they are top 10 in the list. And I cannot find non russell universities in the list and I don't wanna go to like the 10th page - I cba. It almost feels like you are losing your argument here and just want to say I don't understand the correlation between these two variables when I am the only one providing physical evidence and you are the one just saying "you don't know things."

I am the somebody here analysing statistics here. How about you have a go and prove that QS graduate employability rankings are wrong in suggesting that russel universities students have higher employment rate generally than non-ruseel rather than just saying "statistics do lie."

Do you see who is more giving proofs than the other? You are utterly stating things that I am not providing any critical analysis of statistics and my argument. How hypocritical. I will no longer respond.

I would like to end my argument here with this closing statement, famously and respectively from Bill Murray: "It's hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it's damn near impossible to win an argument with a stu*** person".
(edited 2 years ago)
1) Quoting statistics =/= analysing statistics.
2) I know you understand correlation - you just don't understand correlation =/= causation.
Aren't RG unis essentially research unis unless I'm wrong? So why would rankings matter unless you went to the university of Bedfordshire or something that low level? @mnot any advice for the OP?

Edit nevermind
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 32
I've been working in RG institutions for the better portion of the last 10 years and the idea that teaching isn't a priority used to be true, but it isn't true now. The introduction of the TEF and student demand for good teaching has changed that, albeit with some institutions adapting slower than others.
Original post by Deloo

Yes RG is an indication of quality, but NO it doesn't mean that for every course they are better than certain non RG universities.If Plymouth runs a good EE course that is accredited, that provides good employment prospects afterwards, that has reasonable student satisfaction statistics and most importantly offers modules that interest you, then don't choose a RG uni just because it has the label.
Yes some employers do choose RG candidates when they are stuck between 2 very similar choices, but just as many don't. As someone mentioned earlier there are people who don't even know what RG stands for. Employers look for qualified graduates with the right interpersonal skills to fit their organisation.Not being able to make a written argument that presents better than a boring recipe would be enough to eliminate a certain LSE student from a fair few job application processes.
So look at all of your choices in detail and don't be rushed into making a decision and don't let people pressurise you into making a choice which you are not completely comfortable with.
Original post by Talkative Toad
Aren't RG unis essentially research unis unless I'm wrong? So why would rankings matter unless you went to the university of Bedfordshire or something that low level? @mnot any advice for the OP?

The Russell Group is a lobby group for research funding, the members are the institutions have the highest output of quality & quantity of research and receive more grants and funding then other research institutions. It depends what your goals are when you attend the university, but even if you are interested in research, what matters is the team, output & funding for the specific area you want to pursue not the rough average of the uni.

I gave my advice to the OP earlier, and they have checked it is IET accredited. Another thing to note is the OP is interested in EEE, a field where their is a current shortage of engineers so OP would likely be in good standing with any accredited reputable degree.
Original post by mnot
The Russell Group is a lobby group for research funding, the members are the institutions have the highest output of quality & quantity of research and receive more grants and funding then other research institutions. It depends what your goals are when you attend the university, but even if you are interested in research, what matters is the team, output & funding for the specific area you want to pursue not the rough average of the uni.

I gave my advice to the OP earlier, and they have checked it is IET accredited. Another thing to note is the OP is interested in EEE, a field where their is a current shortage of engineers so OP would likely be in good standing with any accredited reputable degree.

Yeah saw that.
Original post by Deloo
Talking about STEM, they have loads of graduate jobs compared to non STEM degrees. However, lets be real. My another friend (we are like a trio group of friends) studies STEM at university of Bristol and he tells me that he still finds it hard to find internship opportunities even though he did in the end. Today's society is full of opportunities but there are too much competition. I know number of people who studied medicine, maths, and engineering at the Oxford brookes university. One is self-employed, and the other are unemployed (as I lived in Oxford and I knew people from church).

Oxford brookes doesn't offer medicine.
For the OP, like you say its accredited for that course, you are interested in the uni and what its got to offer, and you are up for putting your name out there for internships etc, so happy days, its a win win situation :smile:
Reply 38
1) Quoting statistics =/= analysing statistics.
2) I know you understand correlation - you just don't understand correlation =/= causation.

How about, since I can't "analyze" statistics, you analyze QSgraduate employability rankings in Europe to show that they are wrong in suggesting Russell groups have a higher employment rate compared to non-Russell unis generally? I can't do it, so can you do it to prove why the QS employment statistics are wrong?
Original post by Deloo
How about, since I can't "analyze" statistics, you analyze QSgraduate employability rankings in Europe to show that they are wrong in suggesting Russell groups have a higher employment rate compared to non-Russell unis generally? I can't do it, so can you do it to prove why the QS employment statistics are wrong?

It might be because RG students are, on average, more likely to go out and go job-hunting in lucrative fields more than those students who don't go to an RG. The correlation doesn't necessarily run the other way round.

Furthermore, you bragged quite heartedly about getting into 'IB', but said also that you were some HR intern? Getting into an IB is less impressive if you got into a back-office, which are much less competitive.

Also, no one calls them 'non-Russell', so stop doing it.

Latest

Trending

Trending