The Student Room Group

Help with maths test for graduate accountant role?

Could anyone provide advice on what's likely to crop up in this please? In the job advert, there's no specific degree requirements, so would this indicate it will be more maths based than accounting formulas?
Original post by BatmanRH
Could anyone provide advice on what's likely to crop up in this please? In the job advert, there's no specific degree requirements, so would this indicate it will be more maths based than accounting formulas?

It'll just be a typical graduate maths test that anyone who has at least not failed GCSE maths can pass. Shouldn't require any preparation. Good luck.
(edited 2 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Blue_Cow
It'll just be a typical graduate maths test that anyone who has at least not failed GCSE maths can pass. Shouldn't require any preparation. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply. Gosh, it's been a while since doing GCSE, would you mind jogging my memory as to what types of question will be involved?
Original post by BatmanRH
Thanks for the reply. Gosh, it's been a while since doing GCSE, would you mind jogging my memory as to what types of question will be involved?

I mean, you don't exactly need GCSE specific knowledge. Your usual stuff, percentages, pie charts, graphs, ratios, converting between units etc. Really not that difficult.
Reply 4
I mean, you don't exactly need GCSE specific knowledge. Your usual stuff, percentages, pie charts, graphs, ratios, converting between units etc. Really not that difficult.

Thanks!
Reply 5
Have they said what sort of test? Some firms have pretty bespoke ones, others use SHL type tests. I think if not a huge firm you might expect a numerate reasoning tests and verbal reasoning.

I would agree with the post above that the level of maths is unlikely to be any higher than GCSE (for higher grades at GCSE). I'd point out that most applicants don't do hugely well in the tests and are weeded out at this stage. Thus it is important to get some practice. Lets say you sit an SHL test. If you apply for enough jobs its bound to happen! There is enough exam technique involved that not knowing the techniques and getting some practice is likely to leave you with a lower percentile score than you are capable of.
Reply 6
Original post by ajj2000
Have they said what sort of test? Some firms have pretty bespoke ones, others use SHL type tests. I think if not a huge firm you might expect a numerate reasoning tests and verbal reasoning.

I would agree with the post above that the level of maths is unlikely to be any higher than GCSE (for higher grades at GCSE). I'd point out that most applicants don't do hugely well in the tests and are weeded out at this stage. Thus it is important to get some practice. Lets say you sit an SHL test. If you apply for enough jobs its bound to happen! There is enough exam technique involved that not knowing the techniques and getting some practice is likely to leave you with a lower percentile score than you are capable of.

It's maths!
Reply 7

Ok, so just seen there's an attachment with things such as sales, number of staff and staff head cost per year..
Reply 8
Original post by ajj2000

Ok, so just seen there's an attachment with things such as sales, number of staff and staff head cost per year..

Quick Reply