The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Is teaching at Uni of Nottingham online or in person?

I know there will definitely be some lectures online but is this for the majority of them or are majority in person?

Scroll to see replies

I do maths and we currently have to watch the recorded lectures from last year to make notes and learn the content and then we have in-person “engagement lectures” where you tend to go through a couple practice questions, so sort of a waste of time. I have 20 hours a week in-person. Hope that helps.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Original post by stillcrying
I do maths and we currently have to watch the recorded lectures from last year to make notes and learn the content and then we have in-person “engagement lectures” where you tend to go through a couple practice questions, so sort of a waste of time. I have 20 hours a week in-person. Hope that helps.

Are the in person ones recorded? I find them a waste of time at my uni too so I tend to watch the recordings and skip through them.

God--20 hours a week, right now I've got 8 hours in total a week, only like 1 or 2 hours in person. Suits me though
Original post by ran-dumb
Are the in person ones recorded? I find them a waste of time at my uni too so I tend to watch the recordings and skip through them.

God--20 hours a week, right now I've got 8 hours in total a week, only like 1 or 2 hours in person. Suits me though

They are recorded fortunately. And this semester Nottingham have completely mucked up the timetabling as I've got lectures/workshops 9-6 on Monday with a 1 hour break 11-12! It's awful! And so annoying I have to watch the first couple online lectures for each module all for Monday :s-smilie:
(edited 2 years ago)
They are recorded fortunately. And this semester Nottingham have completely mucked up the timetabling as I've got lectures/workshops 9-6 on Monday with a 1 hour break 11-12! It's awful! And so annoying I have to watch the first couple online lectures for each module all for Monday :s-smilie:

**** thats bad. I'm thinking of transferring to Nottingham next year, doing maths too. What year are you in?
**** thats bad. I'm thinking of transferring to Nottingham next year, doing maths too. What year are you in?

I'm in first year, I submitted a new UCAS application a few days ago because I've had the absolute worst time here and want to leave. I just didn't have any time last term to practice questions, despite the teachers banging on about "that's how you learn." I was completely engulfed in a load of online lectures, with barely any time to fit them all in because of the amount of in-person stuff. I don't know whether it's Nottingham that's made me hate maths, but I'm not applying for it again because of this experience. I also didn't do further maths so I think that has disadvantaged me as most of my friends have seen a lot of the content before whereas it's all new to me. But I just think Nottingham have really put too much work on first years and wouldn't recommend it in the slightest. I've also submitted some complaints about how the course is run but they don't put in any change until next year, so basically the cohort above us influences how things are run for us, which I find absolutely bizarre :confused: In short, look elsewhere to save your own sanity!
(edited 2 years ago)
I'm in first year, I submitted a new UCAS application a few days ago because I've had the absolute worst time here and want to leave. I just didn't have any time last term to practice questions, despite the teachers banging on about "that's how you learn." I was completely engulfed in a load of online lectures, with barely any time to fit them all in because of the amount of in-person stuff. I don't know whether it's Nottingham that's made me hate maths, but I'm not applying for it again because of this experience. I also didn't do further maths so I think that has disadvantaged me as most of my friends have seen a lot of the content before whereas it's all new to me. But I just think Nottingham have really put too much work on first years and wouldn't recommend it in the slightest. I've also submitted some complaints about how the course is run but they don't put in any change until next year, so basically the cohort above us influences how things are run for us, which I find absolutely bizarre :confused: In short, look elsewhere to save your own sanity!

Do you know if people on other courses are having similar problems or is it just maths?

I'm applying for statistics if that helps. I'm really sorry you've been having a crap time, its not fun when the lecturers swamp you with work and doesn't care you never did further maths. Since I've only got that many hours I was genuinely thinking you were second or third year, that does suck. I hate it here too, but not so much the maths. Good luck with UCAS
Original post by Anonymous
Do you know if people on other courses are having similar problems or is it just maths?

I had to work so much last term to keep on top of the lectures each week, and I'm not someone who goes out clubbing. I go to one society a week for a couple hours. Most people I spoke to were a week or two behind for the whole term as they never had time to catch up, so yeah, it's a pretty universal thing. I would say more people enjoy learning the maths, whereas I really struggle with it so I don't but most people disagreed with the number of online lectures and/or number of in-person things. The computing was taught really poorly as we just had to learn from a worksheet each week, I didn't see my teacher once as there were just postgrads who were just scheduled in. I had to get a lot of help from other people on the computing because it feels like they expect you to know how to do everything.

I'm first year maths here too, kinda feel the same - there's so many lectures/engagement sessions that it's hard to sit down and actually practice questions. Timetable for this semester isn't great either, seems like they've shoved everything into monday and friday!

I know some people on the other sciences who are having similar issues, not sure about humanities. But I know the whole uni was told to make use of the online lectures they made in 2020 so every subject has that approach.
I'm applying for statistics if that helps. I'm really sorry you've been having a crap time, its not fun when the lecturers swamp you with work and doesn't care you never did further maths. Since I've only got that many hours I was genuinely thinking you were second or third year, that does suck. I hate it here too, but not so much the maths. Good luck with UCAS

Many thanks :smile:
I know some people on the other sciences who are having similar issues, not sure about humanities. But I know the whole uni was told to make use of the online lectures they made in 2020 so every subject has that approach.

Was going to firm Nottingham.. having second thoughts now ahhaha
Was going to firm Nottingham.. having second thoughts now ahhaha

Yeah, I can definitely see why they didn't publicise they weren't going to actually teach us this year despite having the capability of doing all in-person things with no limit to numbers whatsoever. As time went on, fewer and fewer people turned up to the in-person things as they were actually that useless. From the middle of November I'd say I saw a max of 40 people turn up, out of about 250. I really wouldn't recommend coming here, it's not worth £9,250 a year in my opinion. Shame though, as the campus is lovely and the city isn't bad either.
Original post by flaurie
I'm first year maths here too, kinda feel the same - there's so many lectures/engagement sessions that it's hard to sit down and actually practice questions. Timetable for this semester isn't great either, seems like they've shoved everything into monday and friday!

oh no and I was thinking of firming Notts for nat sci :frown:
Yeah, I can definitely see why they didn't publicise they weren't going to actually teach us this year despite having the capability of doing all in-person things with no limit to numbers whatsoever. As time went on, fewer and fewer people turned up to the in-person things as they were actually that useless. From the middle of November I'd say I saw a max of 40 people turn up, out of about 250. I really wouldn't recommend coming here, it's not worth £9,250 a year in my opinion. Shame though, as the campus is lovely and the city isn't bad either.

Yeah I was watching the recordings and while skipping through I was all like they're doing that example again??? They did that like 3 times in the lecture videos already
Original post by Obolinda
oh no and I was thinking of firming Notts for nat sci :frown:

if it helps, i'm really enjoying my time at notts, and the approach to teaching will differ between the different departments! (plus it will be different again by September as teaching is starting to be in-person again this semester :rave:)
Original post by flaurie
if it helps, i'm really enjoying my time at notts, and the approach to teaching will differ between the different departments! (plus it will be different again by September as teaching is starting to be in-person again this semester :rave:)

thanks that does :biggrin:
Original post by Obolinda
thanks that does :biggrin:

To add on, I also love studying at UoN and wouldn't want to be anywhere else. The teaching is good, the campus is amazing and the city is great for students. I'm now returning in September for a new degree so hopefully, that says something xD.
Original post by mah1000000
To add on, I also love studying at UoN and wouldn't want to be anywhere else. The teaching is good, the campus is amazing and the city is great for students. I'm now returning in September for a new degree so hopefully, that says something xD.

Good to know not all experiences are bad haha! I want to study finance, accounting and management and I was sure about Nottingham because I really like the course and the campus and I really liked it on the open day but I’m a bit worried now :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending