The Student Room Group

Teaching LGBTQ+ to kids.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nobody2u
If you read my posts from the beginning of this thread you will see that I have on repeated occasions stated that I didn't want any positive intervention from the part of teachers as children left to their own devices are far more tolerant than their elders. However I do believe that schools have a role to play in informing half of the population that they have as much self worth as their male counterparts. How you can draw a parallel between this and the teaching of creationism is beyond me!

You only think there's no parallel because your value system is the norm.

The point is, you might utterly despise the notion that a woman's place is in the home, but as a free society we allow such notions and values to exist. The teaching of the reverse (that women should pursue a career) is a normative statement and is just as subjective as any opposing statement.
Original post by CatInTheCorner
To just pop in here, I realised I was LGBT when I was 10, in a religious school with absolutely no information. I went into secondary school with no information, and it stayed that way. I was told nothing of how to practice safe sex when one party didn't have a penis, nothing about oral dams, female condoms, etc.

I was never told in primary school that loving another girl was ok, and I was never taught in secondary school how to have a safe relationship with a girl. I'm currently in year 13, I still have never had a lesson where someone explained how to have safe sex with someone who isn't a man with a penis.

Please teach that I exist in schools, please teach teenagers how to protect themselves. You are aknowledging that we exist. I don't care what your personal opinions of my relationships are, I don't care about your relationships, but I acknowledge you exist. Please give me the same courtesty.

Part of my text above #72

"The LGBT issues could be highly politicalised and instead of informing children about the existence of gay people for example using history and context, the subject can go to different direction such as sexuality and relationships."

Agree with you on that matter i.e that kids should be made aware that there are other than heterosexual individuals on this planet and those who have made the transition from one gender to another or those who don't identify as a particular one.
To just pop in here, I realised I was LGBT when I was 10, in a religious school with absolutely no information. I went into secondary school with no information, and it stayed that way. I was told nothing of how to practice safe sex when one party didn't have a penis, nothing about oral dams, female condoms, etc.

I was never told in primary school that loving another girl was ok, and I was never taught in secondary school how to have a safe relationship with a girl. I'm currently in year 13, I still have never had a lesson where someone explained how to have safe sex with someone who isn't a man with a penis.

Please teach that I exist in schools, please teach teenagers how to protect themselves. You are aknowledging that we exist. I don't care what your personal opinions of my relationships are, I don't care about your relationships, but I acknowledge you exist. Please give me the same courtesty.

I would like to back this up.
I didn't realise I liked girls for a while, but I really knew that I didn't like boys. My primary school had no LGBT education, I didn't know that gay men existed, at all, until I was 12 and it took me an additional 2 years to realise that that probably meant that lesbians existed (to be fair that one is probably on me). I spent about 8 of those 14 years of my life thinking that I was a broken person for not liking boys in a romantic or, later, sexual way. That's with a lack of knowledge that being gay existed. Imagine what that must be like if people are talking about it negatively around your child.

I am in a gap year and I too, never received relevant sex education for me. That was entirely self taught through resources on the internet, that I had to find, and double check sources on, myself. I want you to think about what kind of stuff there is waiting on the internet and the probable reliability of some of that and whether you think a teen will always double check that stuff. Think about the kind of misinformation and just plain missed information that kind of 'education' produces.

My primary school books, history and even maths tests were full of heterosexual couples. There wasn't a single gay relationship there, and I read a lot. If you think introducing the idea of non straight couples could 'make your kids gay' I want to remind you that not any of that constant influx of straight couples made me want to go anywhere near a penis. Learning about gay and trans people existing in history, seeing two fathers in a story book while they're learning to read, having two mothers in a maths question about train tickets, none of this is indoctrination. It's just making sure that our education system reflects the world that we live in, right from the start.

I don't want any child to feel like I did about myself. No one deserves to spend years wondering if they'll ever have a fulfilling life because they can't ever see themselves doing what everyone and everything around them tells them they should. Saying that children shouldn't know LGBT+ people shouldn't exist, is like saying that relationships are all about sex, and with that logic, no relationship should be shown to children and playing getting married in the playground really needs to stop happening.
Stop seeing us as a taboo, think of all the kids that will not find that information out any other way, we are everywhere, lets let the education reflect that.
Original post by Scotney
Yes exactly.And funnily enough all that knowledge about straight people and straight sex did not make you straight did it, which is what is at the base of many of the objectors arguments, a fear that a few books and discussions will turn their kids queer.
I am sorry you felt so unheard and unseen but I think the current generation of kids are at least a more accepting generation and with the internet so much more information is out there thankfully.

Definitely did not make me straight. Actually, bias against me due to my sexuality was a large part of what made me seek out women even more, I wanted to feel loved. Our generation definitely are, if you say something homophobic or transphobic in a classroom in my school, or amongst my peers, you'll be the disliked one. I appreciate it, I feel less like an unwanted fly.
Original post by Lucifer323
Part of my text above #72

"The LGBT issues could be highly politicalised and instead of informing children about the existence of gay people for example using history and context, the subject can go to different direction such as sexuality and relationships."

Agree with you on that matter i.e that kids should be made aware that there are other than heterosexual individuals on this planet and those who have made the transition from one gender to another or those who don't identify as a particular one.

I appreciate that, but I'd also say that sexuality and relationships need to be mentioned too. It's important the subject goes in that direction, for students in senior school. Refer to my previous post for the exact points I made, but I had no idea how to have safe gay sex, keep safe, etc. I know how to put on a condom and use birth control, but what good does that do me?

So many LGBT young people are putting themselves in danger because the subject isn't going towards sexuality and relationships. It crushes me that I had to google this stuff, no-one sat me down, no-one told me anything. It's incredibly important to talk about relationships too because LGBT relationships are exactly like heterosexual ones, just with different genders/gender identities/sexualities etc. There can be abuse, r*pe, all of these things. I didn't even realise that could happen with two women. These conversations aren't political, it's keeping teenagers safe during sex and safe from damaging relationships.

Speaking with my friends, which is where my understanding had to come from without reliable information, we never politicised it. We never talked about laws, except to say "Hey! We can get married now!". I would fault the teachers if they weren't able to tell young people how to put on a female condom without making it political.

All that needs to be said is "Boys can love boys, girls can love girls, some people aren't born as their true gender, some people don't have a gender, some people's genders are fluid. Some people don't want to have sex, and that's just as ok and acceptable as wanting to have sex. Here's how to avoid STI's if it's two people with penises, here's how to avoid it if it's two people's with vaginas, here's how to avoid pregnancy if one party has a womb."

Why is it so controversial to provide basic health information to our children? Why are other's politics more important that protecting our children? I'm not controversial, I'm a human being that deserves to know how to have sex with someone I love.
Reply 85
Seems like a few people are deadset against LGBTQ+ and Ace people and want to impose that on their children. It is a face of society that there are people of all types and in all types of relationships so which primary children don't need to be taught intricate details talking about it in the same vein as hetero sex ed is perfectly reasonable.

It seems like some people take the idea of teaching about LGBTQ+ stuff as going into full detail about it to 5 year old children. When has that ever been considered and why does anyone seem to treat it like that's the case? Anyone doing that is just ranting because they're unhappy.
I appreciate that, but I'd also say that sexuality and relationships need to be mentioned too. It's important the subject goes in that direction, for students in senior school. Refer to my previous post for the exact points I made, but I had no idea how to have safe gay sex, keep safe, etc. I know how to put on a condom and use birth control, but what good does that do me?

So many LGBT young people are putting themselves in danger because the subject isn't going towards sexuality and relationships. It crushes me that I had to google this stuff, no-one sat me down, no-one told me anything. It's incredibly important to talk about relationships too because LGBT relationships are exactly like heterosexual ones, just with different genders/gender identities/sexualities etc. There can be abuse, r*pe, all of these things. I didn't even realise that could happen with two women. These conversations aren't political, it's keeping teenagers safe during sex and safe from damaging relationships.

Speaking with my friends, which is where my understanding had to come from without reliable information, we never politicised it. We never talked about laws, except to say "Hey! We can get married now!". I would fault the teachers if they weren't able to tell young people how to put on a female condom without making it political.

All that needs to be said is "Boys can love boys, girls can love girls, some people aren't born as their true gender, some people don't have a gender, some people's genders are fluid. Some people don't want to have sex, and that's just as ok and acceptable as wanting to have sex. Here's how to avoid STI's if it's two people with penises, here's how to avoid it if it's two people's with vaginas, here's how to avoid pregnancy if one party has a womb."

Why is it so controversial to provide basic health information to our children? Why are other's politics more important that protecting our children? I'm not controversial, I'm a human being that deserves to know how to have sex with someone I love.

Couldn't agree more!! You have opened my eyes to issues that I had not considered and to be honest was ignorant about. My first posts were directed to the need to explain in a structured environment the LGBT issue to infant school children, where I maintain that I wouldn't go into detail. For me at that age of they simply need to know that loving in all its variations is allowed. But as you have detailed the gaping holes in our teenagers knowledge, yes I do believe something should be done. Is the classroom the right place? I don't know. In my day the school I attended had a matron or sick room/ health attendant with an open door access rule. If such school employees still exist, maybe their duties could be expanded?
(edited 2 years ago)
Out of interest - if you don't want to talk about LGBTQ+ topics until the child is older - if your child (say at the age of 5) made friends with someone who had two mums or two dads, wouldn't you let them go to their friends house? Wouldn't not letting them go confuse/highlight the topic more? :holmes:
Original post by BurstingBubbles
Out of interest - if you don't want to talk about LGBTQ topics until the child is older - if your child (say at the age of 5) made friends with someone who had two mums or two dads, wouldn't you let them go to their friends house? Wouldn't not letting them go confuse/highlight the topic more? :holmes:

If the question is addressed to me, Of course I would! I have no problem with any sort of family structure as long as the children evolve in a secure environment. Just because a child grows up in a heterosexual household his emotional and mental well being is not guaranteed. I don't discriminate on any grounds when any of my children choose their friends because they are just that, their friends not mine. But getting back to what I wouldn't want taught to five year olds. Unless a question comes spontaneously from a child I don't feel the need for any form of sexual education at that age. If a question is asked I'd like it answered honestly but in a way that the child doesn't come away feeling even more confused than at the time the question was asked.
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Nobody2u
If the question is addressed to me, Of course I would! I have no problem with any sort of family structure as long as the children evolve in a secure environment. Just because a child grows up in a heterosexual household his emotional and mental well being is not guaranteed. I don't discriminate on any grounds when any of my children choose their friends because they are just that, their friends not mine. But getting back to what I wouldn't want taught to five year olds. Unless a question comes spontaneously from a child I don't feel the need for any form of sexual education at that age. If a question is asked I'd like it answered honestly but in a way that the child doesn't come away feeling even more confused than at the time the question was asked.

It was addressed to users in general, not to anyone specific :nah:

Yes that makes sense. I would personally try and provide inclusive toys, books etc. - but then again any future child of mine will very likely have two mums (unless something significant changes in my own personal life) :tongue:
We've never hidden the fact that some people are gay from our kids. The eldest (now 16) came out when she was 12. It just is what it is.
We're Catholic, but I fully accept my daughter for who she is, and Jesus told us to love one another, so that's my stance.

Menstruation, puberty, monopause, pregnancy and giving birth, again it's a non-issue, they've always known about that. These things have naturally come up because they've seen me pregnant, they see sanitary products in the bathroom, you know... they can see that boobs / body hair / deeper voices for adult males, etc. all exist.

We don't teach the actual mechanics of sex until around 11 or 12 though (i.e. the start of puberty). So usually during Year 7, but my current Year 7 (third kid) is doing IGCSE Biology this year, so we taught him about sex in the summer holidays just before the start of Year 7, in preparation for starting his Biology course.
Original post by Joel 96
It isn't a universal value, so it's always going to cause division among parents who do not wish for their children to be taught values that they don't agree with.

There's very little in schools that will receive universal approval from every single parent of a school-age child. There's always someone who'll object. Is there any real evidence that this issue is unusually polarising or divisive? No, not really. It reflects what is already firmly established in law, a consensus across the major parties, and a comfortable majority of the public that demographics indicate is only likely to keep growing. To the extent that it is even still "divisive", that division is declining as the anti-LGBT side continue to shrink in number.

If the school is teaching values that go in opposition to the parent's values, then you have a conflict of interest.

No, you just have a difference of opinion. A conflict of interest would require considerably more.

It's better to leave subjective values to parents rather than the state, or you end up undermining the family structure.

Well, it's not simply subjective. Schools have a responsibility to make their students aware of what will be expected of them, both in the wider world and within the school community. In both those contexts, they will generally be expected, regardless of private opinion, to behave in accordance with treatment of gay relationships as equal to straight ones, and may well face disciplinary consequences from work or school for not doing so. This is not simply an abstraction - schools, companies, etc have responsibilities to their other students/employees/etc, who may well be gay or have gay family members.

It is a fundamentally bad idea to have the state monitoring and influencing behaviour like this. You clearly have no idea of the potential ramifications.

What is being "monitored" here?

If indoctrination has to exist, it's better at the parental level, not the state level.

Why? I think it renders the term "indoctrination" meaningless to use it basically as just a synonym for "teaching", but regardless of the term we use, I'd say the content is usually far more important than who it's coming from.
Original post by anarchism101
There's very little in schools that will receive universal approval from every single parent of a school-age child. There's always someone who'll object. Is there any real evidence that this issue is unusually polarising or divisive? No, not really.

That's disingenuous. We're talking about values. Nobody objects to the teaching of universal values because we require them for ourselves and each other.

In regards to your question, I don't understand the importance of it having to be "unusually" divisive. It's divisive.

It reflects what is already firmly established in law, a consensus across the major parties, and a comfortable majority of the public that demographics indicate is only likely to keep growing. To the extent that it is even still "divisive", that division is declining as the anti-LGBT side continue to shrink in number.

Aside from this being an appeal to law, you're just appealing to the majority consensus. You're failing to understand the distinction between personal values and universal ones.

What you're effectively arguing for is a society where the school syllabus reflects our current moral attitudes to social issues. Thus, any value that is held by the majority can essentially be included in the curriculum. I don't want that.

I think our schools should act as objective models that help progress our children into a knowledgeable understanding of the world. I don't want schools to be constrained by current subjective outlooks on moral issues. Kids should be taught how to think - not what to think.

No, you just have a difference of opinion. A conflict of interest would require considerably more.

Call it what you want. It's a problem.

Well, it's not simply subjective. Schools have a responsibility to make their students aware of what will be expected of them, both in the wider world and within the school community. In both those contexts, they will generally be expected, regardless of private opinion, to behave in accordance with treatment of gay relationships as equal to straight ones, and may well face disciplinary consequences from work or school for not doing so. This is not simply an abstraction - schools, companies, etc have responsibilities to their other students/employees/etc, who may well be gay or have gay family members.

If you believe that schools should teach about discrimination laws in this country, for example, then that's not a values thing. It's how you apply your methodology that pertains to whether we're teaching subjective values, or facts.
Reply 93
Not being unreasonable, I feel the same way.
Reply 94
Original post by StriderHort
As I mentioned above, I feel that waiting might not be a luxury many have anymore. Like it or not, they will learn from you or 'other' and being passive isn't much of an option. (This stuff was prob so much easier before young kids had phones) I think despite all wishes, v quick at school a parent would get "Why does Sally have 2 mums?" or such,

Someone's sexuality is big thing to them. far less so to pretty much everyone else in my eyes?

I'm not looking at asking 5 yos to make such choices, or even understand the detail (I'm also unsure why we're only considering 5 yo's/Primary 1s in the thread in general) like I'd expect a primary school kid to be able to understand the basic concept of how a family can be put together... without feeling a desperate pressure to start their own at a kid, straight or otherwise.

Idk about others, but it's something I'll be able to manage^
You're right, being passive isn't an option, but being proactive in a different manner, as in, not a straight up and direct method, but another one that will still be effective, is definitely plausible imo

I'm sooo against kids with phones, it's one of the worst ideas to give your kid a phone at such a young age :colonhash:
Yh ofc, there'll be innumerable things that kids would see and then ask, out of their innocence, would ask. But yeah as parents you'd have to give an appropriate answer etc

The reason is that kids at that age are being taught in schools 🤷*♂️ I mean I disagree with that age in the first place which was most of my whole point but yeah lol

Exactly, it's something that is there not something that has to be addressed in any semblance of particular detail, just as I wouldn't really talk about ANY romantic relationships at any age before perhaps 10 (AS an example, I'd have to be there in the situation, hopefully one day, to actually see what I should do) before telling them that yes, there are relationships that are not sibling/parent relationships etc
Reply 95
Original post by Slx.24
Exactly, it's something that is there not something that has to be addressed in any semblance of particular detail, just as I wouldn't really talk about ANY romantic relationships at any age before perhaps 10 (

Kids will ask questions around the subject way younger than that if they pay attention to what's going on around them When you answer they often go away and think for a bit and come back and ask more questions about the subject. Questions that I can remember that my kids asked before they reached Junior school included:

What's an erection? (overheard something on the radio about Viagra)

Why is that man wearing a skirt and high heels? (Transvestite running a flower stall)

So does he want to be a lady? Should I tell him we can all tell he isn't?

Dale called me gay, what does it mean?

So if 2 gay men love each other, where do they put their willies?

What does giving head mean? (Heard in the lyrics to Walk on the wild side)

Reply 96
Original post by EOData
Kids will ask questions around the subject way younger than that if they pay attention to what's going on around them When you answer they often go away and think for a bit and come back and ask more questions about the subject. Questions that I can remember that my kids asked before they reached Junior school included:

What's an erection? (overheard something on the radio about Viagra)

Why is that man wearing a skirt and high heels? (Transvestite running a flower stall)

So does he want to be a lady? Should I tell him we can all tell he isn't?

Dale called me gay, what does it mean?

So if 2 gay men love each other, where do they put their willies?

What does giving head mean? (Heard in the lyrics to Walk on the wild side)

Facts, there is nothing you can do to prevent a kid from asking you these types of questions, so it's best, to be honest with them (if necessary) but at times you have to limit on how much you can say because it can confuse them and I don't personally think I wanna tell them all about this.
Reply 97
Original post by Joel 96
If you believe that schools should teach about discrimination laws in this country, for example, then that's not a values thing. It's how you apply your methodology that pertains to whether we're teaching subjective values, or facts.

It is harmful to the many children that grow up to be whatever they are if they don't have a decent understanding that it exists and those around them don't want to treat them properly because of dodgy views.

I have to just ask, what exactly is your problem with it? What do you think will happen to them? They know about hetero relationships because they are everywhere so what exactly is wrong with knowing about others?
Reply 98
Original post by C25
Facts, there is nothing you can do to prevent a kid from asking you these types of questions, so it's best, to be honest with them (if necessary) but at times you have to limit on how much you can say because it can confuse them and I don't personally think I wanna tell them all about this.

You might not want to tell them all about all of this but they keep on asking questions to understand life. I tried avoiding talking about the specifics of gay sex with a 6 year old - at one point I told him he'd just have to work it out for himself but he came back 5 minutes later having clearly got the gist - but they are really persistent
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Bio 7
I have to just ask, what exactly is your problem with it? What do you think will happen to them? They know about hetero relationships because they are everywhere so what exactly is wrong with knowing about others?

Many children don't though.
Particularly in regards to heterosexuals in civil partnerships or couples living together and issues connected to consent.
They know about their own family traditions and those obvious relationships that they see frequently (usually married, single never married, divorced or widowed).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending