urgent - three or four a levels

Watch this thread
bryantw17
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
here's the catch: I am currently thinking of doing maths, econ and geog for my a levels.
I'm struggling in thinking whether I should do 3 or 4 a-levels, since my school didn't actually offer econ in GCSEs and i don't know if i would like it or not.
if i pick four subjects, i could drop econ if i really don't like it but I'm not sure which 4th subject i should pick, cuz I'm not really interested in any others... i don't wanna pick a 4th subject for the cause of it.
however, what if i don't like econ and i wanna drop it? i would be left with 2 subjects which is not ideal at all...

i wanna pursue a career in urban planning (Hopefully) so what subjects in a level will suit this? ik that maths and geog defo would, but what are my other options?

thanks!
lunariumxo
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
Muttley79
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by bryantw17)
here's the catch: I am currently thinking of doing maths, econ and geog for my a levels.
I'm struggling in thinking whether I should do 3 or 4 a-levels, since my school didn't actually offer econ in GCSEs and i don't know if i would like it or not.
if i pick four subjects, i could drop econ if i really don't like it but I'm not sure which 4th subject i should pick, cuz I'm not really interested in any others... i don't wanna pick a 4th subject for the cause of it.
however, what if i don't like econ and i wanna drop it? i would be left with 2 subjects which is not ideal at all...

i wanna pursue a career in urban planning (Hopefully) so what subjects in a level will suit this? ik that maths and geog defo would, but what are my other options?

thanks!
Look at the specification, talk to current students and please just take three [unless you want FMaths as a 4th]. What degree might you do?

Many schools do induction days with sample lessons and allow change early on in September.
thegeek888
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Maths, Economics and a language such as French, German or Spanish.
Cyion
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 3 months ago

thanks!
At my school we had an induction period where you get started with your subjects and see if they're right for you. I would defiantly take 4 if you're interested in it because it's much easier to drop a subject than pick it up 1 month into the course. It's probably worth talking to a sixth form teacher abt it to see if you're allowed too drop it
LG2004
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I would check the list of facilitating subjects
skylark2
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by LG2004)
It hasn't existed in half a decade.
bryantw17
Rep:
(Original post by skylark2)
It hasn't existed in half a decade.
i believe there is tbh, i think maths geog are in there along with mfl, classics, sciences
skylark2
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
i believe there is tbh, i think maths geog are in there along with mfl, classics, sciences
https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...s-subjects-hit

Please stop making stuff up.
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by thegeek888)
Maths, Economics and a language such as French, German or Spanish.
Why? There is NO mention of a language being considered ...
Ghostlady
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
3 and an EPQ ?
Muttley79
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
RG invented them and now don't consider them ... your information is out of date
Pluto bat
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
As other people have already stated: normally within the first couple of weeks you can change your A levels. I would check with the college/sixth form what the latest date you can change from starting. At my college I think it was up to 3 weeks. I would suggest trying it out and then if you don't fancy econ, switch to something else. I would say within your first couple of classes you do get a gut feeling of whether or not its right for you.

Looking at the syllabus in the meantime and maybe chatting with other students who do A level econ will hopefully give you more of an insight into the subject.

Personally I dont suggest doing 4 A levels as it doesn't give you an advantage and you have expressed that you aren't really into anything else.

Most people probably won't of done an econ GCSE (I haven't met anyone who had that available to them personally) and there's obviously a reason why you are wishing to do economics so the chances are you'll probably enjoy it. I wouldn't stress too much over it.
michaelahahaha
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
If you want to take a fourth subject you can always drop it later on. I didn't drop my fourth subject until midway through year 12.

I'm in year 13 atm studying bio, chem and french and I applied for urban planning this year. There are no specific A level requirements for the degree so I wouldn't worry too much.
bryantw17
Rep:
(Original post by michaelahahaha)
If you want to take a fourth subject you can always drop it later on. I didn't drop my fourth subject until midway through year 12.

I'm in year 13 atm studying bio, chem and french and I applied for urban planning this year. There are no specific A level requirements for the degree so I wouldn't worry too much.
oh, that's cool. did u apply the specific 'urban planning' degree or did u apply for a joint degree for like 'econ with geog'?
just wondering since I actually wanna apply for the latter for uni but still want to do urban planning - but the econ with geog just gives me a variety just in case if I chose to do something else by the time I reach uni... that's 3 years from now!
erinmadison
Rep:
Report 3 months ago

thanks!
As someone who took 4 and dropped one, I'd 100% say 4. It saves so much hassle of having to switch courses and catch up on content. Geography will be key in urban planning, my course has a component on it. I take Geography, English Lit and Economics if you have any questions.
bryantw17
Rep:
(Original post by erinmadison)
As someone who took 4 and dropped one, I'd 100% say 4. It saves so much hassle of having to switch courses and catch up on content. Geography will be key in urban planning, my course has a component on it. I take Geography, English Lit and Economics if you have any questions.
what was the other a level that u dropped?
and my school didn't offer econ in gcse, is it a big step up from gcse to a level in econ? thanks
LG2004
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Muttley79)
RG invented them and now don't consider them ... your information is out of date
Still, a applicant with A-levels in Maths and Sciences will be more competitive than an applicant with A-levels in social sciences (psychology, sociology...etc)
Sinnoh
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Still, a applicant with A-levels in Maths and Sciences will be more competitive than an applicant with A-levels in social sciences (psychology, sociology...etc)
For a science degree? sure. In general? who cares. The OP wants to do urban planning, not medicine.
Last edited by Sinnoh; 3 months ago
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
This is complete nonsense. Please stop doubling down on this.

Universities publicly state both essential and ‘preferred’ subjects. There is no veiled list that strengthens an application.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (18)
22.22%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (10)
12.35%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
4.94%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (13)
16.05%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (17)
20.99%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
23.46%

Watched Threads