Is it okay to going home on weekends during internship?

Watch this thread
rchill
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I am doing an on-site internship in my final semester in a big tech company. It's a little far from home, so I am living in rent near the work location. This is the first time I am living completely alone away from family. I thought this would be like college, but there I had roommates and friends. Here, I am all by myself. This place is kinda rural (not very used to) and the people in the building are families, that I can't really mix with for anything, pretty much nothing social.

I feel really lonely and almost hate going back to my rented place after the internship work every day but also don't want to stay at work because of the hectic schedule. I stay about 2-3 hours from my home and was wondering if it is okay to go home every weekend. Especially because I have literally nothing to do where I stay, and not good food, have to do everything by myself, really homesicking and almost depressing. IDK. This is a 6-month internship and I have only spent like 1.5 weeks now (went home in the weekend).

Is it okay going home every weekend? late on Fridays to Sunday eve? I wonder if this will be negative for me in any way.

PS: I am not in the UK or Europe or Americas. It still applies I believe, any help is useful.
Last edited by rchill; 3 months ago
University of Portsmouth Student Rep
Badges: 16
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by rchill)
I am doing an on-site internship in my final semester in a big tech company. It's a little far from home, so I am living in rent near the work location. This is the first time I am living completely alone away from family. I thought this would be like college, but there I had roommates and friends. Here, I am all by myself. This place is kinda rural (not very used to) and the people in the building are families, that I can't really mix with for anything, pretty much nothing social.

I feel really lonely and almost hate going back to my rented place after the internship work everyday but also don't want to stay at work because of the hectic schedule. I stay about 2-3 hours from my home and was wondering if it is okay to go home every weekend. Especially because I have literally nothing to do where I stay, and not good food, have to do everything by myself, really homesicking and almost depressing. idk. This is a 6 month internship and I have only spent like 1.5 weeks now (went home in the weekend).

Is it okay going home every weekend? late on fridays to sunday eve?

PS: I am not in the UK or Europe or Americas. It still applies I believe, any help is useful.
Hi! rchill

I don't see why not. If you think that is it feasible and you have the time then I don't see why not. Especially if you think that it will improve your well-being.

I hope this helps!
Best wishes
Chloe - Official Student Rep
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Hi rchill , if anything it sounds positive that you will be going home, to where family and friends are. Isolation is one of the worst things for your mental health, and you could always use the time on the train to get work done so you can spend your weekend relaxing. Moving away from home is hard, especially if it is your first time away, so you can also call or facetime family and friends during the weekday as well. If you are finding it difficult to go back every weekend then invite family or friends to come stay over for the weekend at your place sometimes, or plan trips with friends or family to cities in between and have a fun day out.

I'd say the only negative would be the cost of travel, but if you can afford it then there shouldn't be any problems with this If you don't have one already, get a railcard of some type, such as the 16-25 railcard , in order to make travelling cheaper.

- Rosie
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (84)
19.18%
The paper was reasonable (167)
38.13%
Not feeling great about that exam... (118)
26.94%
It was TERRIBLE (69)
15.75%

Watched Threads