How to improve handwriting quickly

Watch this thread
Bethanybarratt
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
My handwriting has always been bad and I do english literature, history, and psychology so I write a lot of essays.

It's never been much of a problem, my english teacher has brought it up a few times but on a recent essay gave me a B because of it (I usually get A* or A). He said I probably won't get a laptop concession either so I need to improve it, and fast.

How can I improve it? it's not just the timed conditions making it bad either, my writing is bad everytime I write anything - notes, birthday cards etc.

EDIT: thank you for all the responses! I will try out your suggestions
Last edited by Bethanybarratt; 3 months ago
Mythical Pingu
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
Hey! My handwriting is terrible when I'm in a hurry - sometimes I can barely read my own notes.. you're not alone! If you're mindful of it, it should improve over time. I wish I could be more helpful!

MP
Vack
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
write slower
yeet_21
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
A teacher can't mark you down on an essay by 2 grades just because you have bad handwriting. How would that be fair??
I had a similar problem, I solved it by using block capitals instead of cursive.
Dentaldreams
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I always get compliments for my hand writing, you just have to find a style that suits you. I join some letter like r and e when I’m rushing. Id suggest trying to write each letter individually and to keep up with timed conditions, keep your pen on the paper, just don’t press. Hope that makes sense.
KA_P
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Can you send a photo of your handwriting writing? What types of pens do you use? Are they light, thin, do they have a grip? Do you put one peice of paper onto the table or do you like to layer up the papers? How do you hold your pen? Do you move the paper when writing, or your arm or your wrist or do you stretch your fingers until you move your arm? Have you tried writing using squared paper rather than lined? Maybe spacing your letters out a bit rather than them all mushing together?

That's all I have rn
Last edited by KA_P; 3 months ago
username5637224
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
My daughter's French teacher made all of her students change their pens for a specific type before their exams. She said that marking papers with certain shades of blue was incredibly tiring and that subconsciously, after hours and hours of grading papers she may attribute a lower mark due to the fatigue caused when deciphering a script. She said she didn't care about pretty writing, but she did about legible copies.
KA_P
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Nobody2u)
My daughter's French teacher made all of her students change their pens for a specific type before their exams. She said that marking papers with certain shades of blue was incredibly tiring and that subconsciously, after hours and hours of grading papers she may attribute a lower mark due to the fatigue caused when deciphering a script. She said she didn't care about pretty writing, but she did about legible copies.
That's intriguing
Pollokshed
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by yeet_21)
A teacher can't mark you down on an essay by 2 grades just because you have bad handwriting. How would that be fair??
I had a similar problem, I solved it by using block capitals instead of cursive.
I believe this is because if the teachers are unable to read what you have written then you are graded based on what can be read rather than what has been written.

Also I think you should just write the abc, practise it and develop a way of writing each letter in a way comfortable and still readable, that’s what helped my own handwriting.
Last edited by Pollokshed; 3 months ago
tinyperson
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
handwriting teachers
Bethanybarratt
Rep:
(Original post by yeet_21)
I think it was for effect tbf, I mean idk if that was it but he said in his comment B- because that’s how the examiners would react Beth so idk
Bethanybarratt
Rep:
(Original post by Dentaldreams)
I always get compliments for my hand writing, you just have to find a style that suits you. I join some letter like r and e when I’m rushing. Id suggest trying to write each letter individually and to keep up with timed conditions, keep your pen on the paper, just don’t press. Hope that makes sense.
Thank you! Yes R and E are hard for me too!! I’ll try that, I think it’s Because I write slower than I think so I’m rushing to get it all down.
Bethanybarratt
Rep:
(Original post by KA_P)
Can you send a photo of your handwriting writing? What types of pens do you use? Are they light, thin, do they have a grip? Do you put one peice of paper onto the table or do you like to layer up the papers? How do you hold your pen? Do you move the paper when writing, or your arm or your wrist or do you stretch your fingers until you move your arm? Have you tried writing using squared paper rather than lined? Maybe spacing your letters out a bit rather than them all mushing together?

That's all I have rn
Thank you!!
Umm I use bic grip pens for exams abs yes I like to layer up the paper and I have been told I grip the pen wrong so that could be to do with it, but it’s juts how I was taught so that’s how I’ve always done it. I don’t think I can use squared paper in exams, but here’s the essay that there was an issue with.
Bethanybarratt
Rep:
(Original post by Nobody2u)
Yes that is similar to what my teacher said! Examiners don’t get paid enough to bother to take the time trying to work it out if it’s not clear.
Bethanybarratt
Rep:
(Original post by Pollokshed)
I believe this is because if the teachers are unable to read what you have written then you are graded based on what can be read rather than what has been written.

Also I think you should just write the abc, practise it and develop a way of writing each letter in a way comfortable and still readable, that’s what helped my own handwriting.
Thank you!!! I will try that
Habitable Earth
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I had a bad handwriting and I am studying geography and history. When my teacher talked about it she always told me to improve and fast. But it just couldn't work when i enter the exam every time. however, i feel better when i write something with attention and unrelated to academic essay. I think it is just a long process to transform you bad habit into a comfortable style.
boba_drinker
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Bethanybarratt)
Thank you!!
Umm I use bic grip pens for exams abs yes I like to layer up the paper and I have been told I grip the pen wrong so that could be to do with it, but it’s juts how I was taught so that’s how I’ve always done it. I don’t think I can use squared paper in exams, but here’s the essay that there was an issue with.
damn thats pretty bad but not even that bad (but ngl my writing is horrendous) have you been experimenting w different pens...that didnt work for me, id suggest getting a handwriting pen i know its usually for kids, but its not worth being marked down bcs the examiner cant read what youve written meaning you go 2 grades down ygm?
ElfManiac
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
A bit of alphabet practice and 'the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog' wouldn't hurt. Try a few different pens with thicker or thinner nibs, and see what helps you.
When you are doing your normal written work, take the time to form your letters fully. If you get in the routine of it, by the time you get to your exams the good habit should pay off.
The Bic pens flow smoothly across the page, so you may find a narrow point or fineline pen that needs more deliberate movement to form the letters will help you.
KA_P
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Bethanybarratt)
Thank you!!
I wouldn't say it's illegible but you seem to merge letters. I would say to practice enunciating the letters in each word. I found it useful to practice writing in capital letters only when I got home. Then trying different styles or slants. I would say to take it step by step, your handwriting isn't going to change overnight. Just pay more attention to distinguishing one letter from the other when writing to prevent yourself from merging them together.
Bethanybarratt
Rep:
(Original post by boba_drinker)
damn thats pretty bad but not even that bad (but ngl my writing is horrendous) have you been experimenting w different pens...that didnt work for me, id suggest getting a handwriting pen i know its usually for kids, but its not worth being marked down bcs the examiner cant read what youve written meaning you go 2 grades down ygm?
I know it is not great! I hadn't thought of that, will look into it. Thank you!!!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Has advance information helped during your exams?

Yes (146)
66.67%
No (47)
21.46%
I didn't use it to prepare (26)
11.87%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise