This discussion is closed.
smallthoms
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
I don't know whether I should be worried about this. We go on placements next month.

My form was last to go off because I wasn't sure what I wanted to do, and so I'm expecting to end up somewhere rubbsh like last time.

I'm quite able academically so I may well try applying for competitive courses. My non-academic skills aren't quite so hot, though. Will a lack of relevant work ex. be too much of a problem with regards to both jobs and uni? I wasn't worried before because I assumed that work ex. was just something that schools were obliged to do and I thought every employer would just assume that someone had spent their entire placement making cups of coffee.
Brown Patrick Bateman
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Lack of work experience won't matter when you're applying to uni, unless you're going for Medicine/similar. At age 15/16 2 week work exp. placements aren't of massive value, as it's usually just shadowing, but from 18+ work experience can mean doing serious work and thus it's really useful. When it comes to getting "proper" jobs a few years on, work experience is pretty much as important as having a degree; being good academically says little about how you'll perform in a vocational environment.
smallthoms
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
(Original post by Jools)
Lack of work experience won't matter when you're applying to uni, unless you're going for Medicine/similar. At age 15/16 2 week work exp. placements aren't of massive value, as it's usually just shadowing, but from 18+ work experience can mean doing serious work and thus it's really useful. When it comes to getting "proper" jobs a few years on, work experience is pretty much as important as having a degree; being good academically says little about how you'll perform in a vocational environment.

Thanks, that's reassuring.

Are 18+ placements organised on your own steam rather than through a careers service? You'll have to excuse my ignorance - I am dull.
Brown Patrick Bateman
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by smallthoms)
Thanks, that's reassuring.

Are 18+ placements organised on your own steam rather than through a careers service? You'll have to excuse my ignorance - I am dull.
Usually from 18+ nobody's going to make you do anything so it's your initiative to organise work experience. However, places like LSE and Nottingham have excellent careers services which can help you along the way.
Scott-jsa
Badges: 0
Report 14 years ago
Some courses have a semistar dedicated to work experience, where you are expected to do the ground work but the Uni will provide support. Depends on the subject area though and isn't particularly common unless the discipline is more hands-on.

Scott
Carelesswhispers
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Work exp was kinda a joke for me but i thought i wanted to be a vet, but realised i didnt on work exp (in yr 10), second work exp in yr 11 = a joke cos i was lazy and got a crappy placement but then in yr 12 i got a gd one, in charles kennedy's priv office. was v gd being in Parliament, wlaking rnd, seeing/meeting ppl, watching debates etc i wud try to get a work exp thats pretty impressive
frost105
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
When your at uni get as much as experiance as possible as it'll work well for you post graduation.
ThePants999
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Placements during uni generally means summer internships. Sometimes you'll organise this in a similar fashion to school work experience, but for most students it's a case of applying to companies with established internship schemes, the application process often being similar or even identical to graduate recruitment.
frost105
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Though simply getting a job or doing a few hours shadowing somewhere every week is equally valid.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.01%
They might tell the bully (18)
9.84%
I don't think they'd understand (32)
17.49%
It might lead to more bullying (70)
38.25%
There's nothing they could do (52)
28.42%

Watched Threads