Pharmacy Personal Statement

Watch this thread
A22I
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi! so I recently applied to unis for dentistry. For one of the unis they are unable to give me the dentistry course but they said they would like to consider me for Pharmacy instead. I need to provide a new personal statement in 2 weeks tailored to Pharmacy but I don't have any work experience in pharmacy. I have done work experience in a hospital, dental practice, online experiences and volunteering at a vaccination center. I'm not sure how these will be useful for my personal statement. Any tips? And do you think it is still worth applying?
A22I
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
This is for Cardiff University btw
CalciPharm_900
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Hi! I'm a pharmacy applicant (sent off application about 5 days ago) and I have not been able to get any relevant work experience/volunteering in the field at all and I still managed to get an interview invite for one of my chosen unis. I don't think it matters what kind of experience you have as long as you express the skills that you've developed while volunteering. Like I volunteered at a charity shop. But since you seem to have loads of relevant healthcare experience, you can definitely talk about that. I don't think it matters if you've volunteered at a pharmacy or not.
I've applied for Cardiff pharmacy still haven't heard back but hopefully I get an interview. And you as well
Can't tell you if it's worth applying or not. Are you interested in pharmacy? Do you still have a chance to get a dentistry offer at other unis? You still have the option to try again next year. But, all in all, I think pharmacy is a great field and you can still do postgrad dentistry after if you want.
Last edited by CalciPharm_900; 3 months ago
A22I
Rep:
Well done for getting an interview !! Thank you I decided I will still apply and just see if I get an interview . The thing is I’m interested in dentistry but I won’t mind trying other courses as long as their healthcare related . I did consider taking a gap year but that’s only if I get good a levels but then I need to resit ucat which I didnnot do well in 😔 so not sure if I’ll do better the second time either . But thank you for your helpGood luck for your interviews!!
A22I
Rep:
(Original post by A22I)
Well done for getting an interview !! Thank you I decided I will still apply and just see if I get an interview . The thing is I’m interested in dentistry but I won’t mind trying other courses as long as their healthcare related . I did consider taking a gap year but that’s only if I get good a levels but then I need to resit ucat which I didnnot do well in 😔 so not sure if I’ll do better the second time either . But thank you for your helpGood luck for your interviews!!
Could I also ask you what interested you to do pharmacy ?
CalciPharm_900
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by A22I)
Could I also ask you what interested you to do pharmacy ?
Thank you!! I'm glad you decided what you want to do. I'm sure you will do better at the UCAT next time. I also did horrible in it as I was going to apply for medicine at first but then I found new interest in pharmacy. Just give yourself lots and lots of UCAT practice because that is something I didn't have time to do and failed badly lol.
Well, pharmacy is a diverse career. Not only can you work at a local pharmacy to provide the community with healthcare advice, but you can also choose to work in industry, make and test new medicines. You have the option to take part in different pharmaceutical roles at a company, pharmacy, hospital and even the military I recently discovered. There is also an option to do freelance jobs on the side like forensic drug analysis for the police. Pharmacy is all about drugs and how they affect the body, which I find very interesting. To be honest I think it's crazy how a small pill can literally make your body do so many different things. Pharmacists play a very crucial role in the treatment chain as nearly all treatments rely on drugs and we need people who are experts at it so nothing bad happens. I am generally interested in biology and chemistry and pharmacy incorporates both of these.
Not to mention that ever since Fleming discovered Penicillin, healthcare has changed drastically all over the world and there could be another opportunity waiting for us to discover another drug that could change the world.
Wow sorry too much writing. Good luck with your personal statement
A22I
Rep:
wow I can clearly tell you are very interested in pharmacy. Thank you for all your help!! whats your first choice of uni to do pharmacy?
CalciPharm_900
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by A22I)
wow I can clearly tell you are very interested in pharmacy. Thank you for all your help!! whats your first choice of uni to do pharmacy?
No problem My first choice is actually Cardiff, it's ranked pretty high for pharmacy in the UK. And it's close to home!
Alevelhelp.1
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by CalciPharm_900)
Hi! I'm a pharmacy applicant (sent off application about 5 days ago) and I have not been able to get any relevant work experience/volunteering in the field at all and I still managed to get an interview invite for one of my chosen unis. I don't think it matters what kind of experience you have as long as you^^ express the skills that you've developed while volunteering. Like I volunteered at a charity shop. But since you seem to have loads of relevant

healthcare experience, you can definitely talk about that. I don't think it matters if you've volunteered at a pharmacy or not.
I've applied for Cardiff pharmacy still haven't heard back but hopefully I get an interview. And you as well
Can't tell you if it's worth applying or not. Are you interested in pharmacy? Do you still have a chance to get a dentistry offer at other unis? You still have the option to try again next year. But, all in all, I think pharmacy is a great field and you can still do postgrad dentistry after if you want.
^^^
A22I
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
(Original post by CalciPharm_900)
Hi! I'm a pharmacy applicant (sent off application about 5 days ago) and I have not been able to get any relevant work experience/volunteering in the field at all and I still managed to get an interview invite for one of my chosen unis. I don't think it matters what kind of experience you have as long as you express the skills that you've developed while volunteering. Like I volunteered at a charity shop. But since you seem to have loads of relevant healthcare experience, you can definitely talk about that. I don't think it matters if you've volunteered at a pharmacy or not.
Hey!!! Hope your well. I just wanted to ask if you heard back from Cardiff?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (61)
42.07%
The paper was reasonable (65)
44.83%
Not feeling great about that exam... (11)
7.59%
It was TERRIBLE (8)
5.52%

Watched Threads