Abertay Game design and production

Watch this thread
confusedmama
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hey all.
My son has applied to do game design and production at Abertay. I’m just wondering if anyone could tell me roughly the amount of days he will be in uni. Is it spread over the whole week or just over a couple of days? I’m trying to sort accommodation out in my head, however if it’s only a few days he’s in we have family he could possibly stay with for a night or 2.
Any other hints or tips about the course or uni life would be greatly appreciated too.

Thank you ❤️
Pars1885
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
Hey
I went to Abertay Uni to study Sports Coaching and spent my first year in Student Halls/Accommodation - what I can say is it tends to vary between courses and years.
For example during my first year I did have at least 1 class every day, however not everyone in my halls (iirc) who were doing other courses did. Everyones schedule changes year on year as well, so it may be that he gets to 2nd year and maybe has the same amount of teaching time condensed into 3/4 days. I would imagine the best bet would be to contact the University to see if they can shed any light on what the courses for this year look like in 1st year to give you a better idea.
Sorry if that wasn't much help!
Regarding Uni Life at Abertay from someone who lived in Student Accom - Abertay was great, the Gaming section was incredibly state of the art and they're very proud of that. There is an on campus gym if he is into that and plenty of places to meet new people other than his class mates. Abertay's Student Union was really good and everything is right on your doorstep. The Uni is 5 minutes from the city centre and the accom that I lived in through 1st year is a 2 minute walk from the uni. It used to be called Opal accommodation but I think its changed its name now.
The campus library is good, tonnes of books and computers with some meeting rooms that can be use for group projects as well.
Given the popularity of the Gaming courses there I would imagine he will meet plenty of people with similar interests to spend time with.

Hope that helps a little - anything you want me to answer etc just let me know
Pars1885
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Also - should have mentioned a bit about the accommodation I had as well to give you an idea of what it was like.
There was 7 bedrooms to a flat with a communal living room and kitchen area. 6 Bedrooms are single rooms and one double, but each does come with its own en-suite toilet and shower. Each room also has a large built in computer desk with plenty of room to set up multiple screens which is ideal for your son for setting up gaming stuff for playing and studying/programming/designing.
Next to the reception building is a communal area with a few large tv's for students to spent time in if they wish and there is a washroom with loads of washer driers as well. There was a convenience store across the street, a PureGym a few minutes away and the city centre and supermarkets are only 5 minutes from there. Great way to meet new people and gain some independence if that's the route you choose to go down, everything really is within a 5 minute walk except the train station and that only 15 minutes away as well.
confusedmama
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by Pars1885)
Also - should have mentioned a bit about the accommodation I had as well to give you an idea of what it was like.
There was 7 bedrooms to a flat with a communal living room and kitchen area. 6 Bedrooms are single rooms and one double, but each does come with its own en-suite toilet and shower. Each room also has a large built in computer desk with plenty of room to set up multiple screens which is ideal for your son for setting up gaming stuff for playing and studying/programming/designing.
Next to the reception building is a communal area with a few large tv's for students to spent time in if they wish and there is a washroom with loads of washer driers as well. There was a convenience store across the street, a PureGym a few minutes away and the city centre and supermarkets are only 5 minutes from there. Great way to meet new people and gain some independence if that's the route you choose to go down, everything really is within a 5 minute walk except the train station and that only 15 minutes away as well.
First of all, thank you so much for your reply, it helps tremendously! My lad is a bit of a loner, keeps himself to himself (literally, been in his new school since august and hasn’t spoken to anyone) so I’m thinking maybe halls of residence could be the way to go. He’s amazing when he does actually speak! I’ll try and contact the university and get an answer from them about class schedules etc. The gym will be something he passes by on his way to the gaming section I would imagine 🤣 I honestly think I’m more excited about the prospect of university than he is, just got to hope he gets the grades to get in. Thanks again, you’ve been super helpful! xx
Pars1885
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by confusedmama)
First of all, thank you so much for your reply, it helps tremendously! My lad is a bit of a loner, keeps himself to himself (literally, been in his new school since august and hasn’t spoken to anyone) so I’m thinking maybe halls of residence could be the way to go. He’s amazing when he does actually speak! I’ll try and contact the university and get an answer from them about class schedules etc. The gym will be something he passes by on his way to the gaming section I would imagine 🤣 I honestly think I’m more excited about the prospect of university than he is, just got to hope he gets the grades to get in. Thanks again, you’ve been super helpful! xx
Not a problem at all - glad i could help! And regarding keepig himself to himself, Halls will be a big adjustment for him but in a positive way. Theres every chance he will get housed with someone who is into Gaming and stuff as well which would be nice, plus it will likely help him come out his shell a bit more. On top of that there is also loads of societies and things around the Uni for things he is interested in. I would imagine he is probably just a bit apprehensive about it, maybe might not want to admit a bit nervous about the fact its quite a bit out his comfort zone to all of a sudden be living with 6 other students who have some similar and varying interests. I was fortunate in the sense that I quite liked going out clubbing and meeting new people etc back then so i found Halls to be exactly what I had expected and hoped for, but it can be a lot for someone who is more reserved. We had a girl in our dorm who sounded similar, extremely shy, spent a lot of time to begin with in her room and not interacting too much, eventually we managed to convince her to come out with all of us and honestly by the time we left Halls she was probably the most social of all of us - still friends with her now actually 11 years later and she's invited to my wedding this year (in fact, all of my 1st year flatmates are)! - Thought I would mention that just incase either, or indeed both of you were a bit concerned about how he would fare at Halls, its not for everyone granted - but the large majority of people have an amazing time and really learn alot about themselves and grow into it and make friends for life.

There is always the option as well (if he gets in obviously and is going there) - to use things like The Student Room and Facebook pages to meet students that will be going into his course there as first years so he can make some friends before even going which may help if he is a bit shy.

Obviously - he may not be shy at all and may just be the type of person who prefers his own company - which is totally fine as well and if that's the case the majority of this message is probably a bit redundant.

Guess what im trying to say in a nutshell is, neither of you worry there is plenty of opportunities both in and out of halls to make friends that have similar interests and friends that don't - but only if he wants to
Im sure he will have an amazing time!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (32)
20.92%
The paper was reasonable (51)
33.33%
Not feeling great about that exam... (47)
30.72%
It was TERRIBLE (23)
15.03%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed