The Student Room Group

Should the NHS treat obesity and type 2 diabetes?

How should I rephrase this: Should the NHS treat obesity and type 2 diabetes? For epq any help appreciated.
Original post by Deskilz
How should I rephrase this: Should the NHS treat obesity and type 2 diabetes? For epq any help appreciated.

What? The NHS already treats T2DM - a hella lot.

What are you trying to say here? Are you trying to make some sort of argument for people who are obese and develop T2DM not to be eligible for NHS treatment?
Original post by Reality Check
What? The NHS already treats T2DM - a hella lot.

What are you trying to say here? Are you trying to make some sort of argument for people who are obese and develop T2DM not to be eligible for NHS treatment?

I see lots of EPQ's with devil's advocate type topics. I do get the feeling that they're sometimes encouraged to go for a contentious position.

OP, some thoughts on the pro-side:

- unprecedented backlog on the NHS in post-COVID world.
- need to prioritise resource for the most societal benefit
- could have exclusions for people with clear medical predispositions to those conditions
- any evidence you could find that the majority of sufferers are a result of lifestyle choices
- have a look into any other countries or healthcare systems which do similar - what benefits have they seen?

(I'm not for any of this btw, before anyone thinks to take me to task :smile: )
Even if we ignore the enormous moral obligation to treat people with those problems, it's also just a good investment. People who are supported and treated by the healthcare service are more productive and less likely to develop other health conditions. You can cheaply help someone lose weight now, or you can be even more morally obliged to spend even more public money giving them a life-saving triple bypass later.
Good short online course on doing an EPQ here - https://www.futurelearn.com/courses/epq-success

Quick Reply

Latest