The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

Accepted without an interview?

I sent off my application to study music to UCAS 3 days ago, and one of the unis I've applied to (Sussex) has already sent me an offer. I haven't even seen them for an interview! Is this good or bad? I want to think it's good because maybe they were really impressed with my personal statement, but it could be bad because it could mean they're desperate or can't be bothered to interview prospective students. Does anyone have any insight?
Are you certain that Sussex do always interview applicants for this course?
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 2
Original post by McGinger
Are you certain that Sussex do always interview applicants for this course?

No, I'm not actually. I just sort of assumed every course at every uni interviews people, I mean I had to attend an interview for college. I guess it's possible they don't though? I just wonder what the reasoning is
Original post by rudy_bee
No, I'm not actually. I just sort of assumed every course at every uni interviews people, I mean I had to attend an interview for college. I guess it's possible they don't though? I just wonder what the reasoning is

The majority of courses / unis don't interview.
Reply 4
This is going back a few years but one of my classmates was given an unconditional offer straight after applying. It turned out that she'd accidentally ticked that she was privately funding her course rather than using a student loan. Maybe just double check your application!
(edited 2 years ago)
Some unis interview for music but not all. There are plenty of other courses where the only place you'd ever get interviewed is Oxford or Cambridge (who interview everyone).

It's most likely that they can't be bothered to interview prospective students. You'll have to decide for yourself whether this is bad.
If you’re taking music A level and/or have grade 8 theory and practical awards then that’s generally all a university will be interested in.

Most music degrees (outside conservatoires) will be designed to take students with those qualifications. No need for an audition or interview.

Quick Reply

Latest