Is it okay for a guy to kiss another guy even if he's straight

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I'm a straight male.

In some cultures, it's acceptable as it's a form of greeting. In others, it is considered inappropriate.
What are your thoughts on this?
Anonymous #2
Report 3 months ago
I think kissing can be platonic and not mean anything, a straight guy can kiss another guy and it not mean anything. I’m fact, if they’re able to do that it goes to show that they are more secure about their sexuality as they’re not afraid of being called gay.

As for culture that does depend on their beliefs, naturally each person will have their own views.
Anonymous #1
My friend who may be gay wanted to give mea kiss on the cheek, i didn't want to hurt him, but i felt s bit embarrassed at the Samw time, because it was during College time, and there are some students who may have given me looks, ect. I just wanted to seee what the norm was with this sort of thing
hungrysalamander
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
No.
username155270
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
My friend who may be gay wanted to give mea kiss on the cheek, i didn't want to hurt him, but i felt s bit embarrassed at the Samw time, because it was during College time, and there are some students who may have given me looks, ect. I just wanted to seee what the norm was with this sort of thing
Which culture is he from?

Don’t feel obligated to be nice if you feel uncomfortable
Last edited by username155270; 3 months ago
Honey57
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
In my culture that’s normal. Women kiss each other and men kiss each other on the cheek for a greeting. This is normal where I’m from and at home. But people give weird stares over here because it’s not considered normal. If your friend wanted to kiss you and you didn’t want it tell them about it,
Honey57
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Yeah, don’t let him kiss you if you feel uncomfortable and secondly, don’t do it at school.
Anonymous #2
Report 3 months ago
In terms of what is normal, many people will not see it that way and will give looks. Unfortunately, that’s just the society we live in.
Anonymous #2
Report 3 months ago
But yeah definitely don’t do anything that makes you uncomfortable
Slx.24
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
No.
Anonymous #1
OK thanks
Even in a general sense, it is not acceptable? Even one on the cheek?

(Original post by Slx.24)
No.
(Original post by hungrysalamander)
No.
Rufus The Red
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Regardless of gender, it's fine so long as both parties are fine with it.
hungrysalamander
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
OK thanks
Yeah. I wouldn't even kiss a girl on the cheeks unless she's my girlfriend.
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
In some british families and middle eastern cultures it is socially acceptable as a consensual platonic greeting or sign of close friendship.
I don't believe that it is okay.
Then again, some of my friends are habitual kissers and happy to kiss everyone on the mouth.
Babies, coworkers, parents, friends, business contacts, dates, dates parents, pet rodents and reptilians.
Slx.24
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
OK thanks
No sir.
StriderHort
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Tbh a lot of people would freak out if a stranger leaned in for a kiss. Best of luck trying to explain to a growing crowd that it can't be a sexual assault if it's 'cultural' after someone freaks out.

Take the handshake, open, there's different ways to do it depending on relationship or circumstance, both people get to maintain their own personal space, 0 jealousy from partners.... leaning in to kiss someone as a greeting is pretty much the opposite.
Anonymous #1
Understood
Zarek
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
When I lived in Italy I found the enthusiastic cheek kissing between male friends a bit difficult to adapt to
Chicken.M.
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I've let guys kiss me when they were drunk as I thought it was a joke or banter or whatever. Turns out most of them were secretly gay at the time and fancied me lol. Kinda cringe thinking back at it now.
username155270
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Zarek)
When I lived in Italy I found the enthusiastic cheek kissing between male friends a bit difficult to adapt to
Yep it’s the same way in the Portuguese culture also. They aren’t afraid to show affection people or being macho. Very confident in their sexuality.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your Edexcel A-level Economics Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (48)
15.58%
The paper was reasonable (155)
50.32%
Not feeling great about that exam... (74)
24.03%
It was TERRIBLE (31)
10.06%

Watched Threads