Uni of Sheffield or Newcastle University?

Watch this thread
ThatSkoolG1RL
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hey, I am very grateful to have been offered a place at both of these unis but I have not visited them yet and was wondering if anyone knows about the unis and which one would you advise for me to put as my firm or insurance? I am doing Digital Media if that helps !

Any advice would be great x
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
Look for Campus Tour films on the Uni websites or on YouTube.
Also look for YouTube tourist films about each city.
And read this - https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/advice...versity-offers
Then sit on your hands until at last Easter before you enter anything on UCAS - you will probably have second thoughts and change your mind several times.
mike23mike
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Both are great uni towns and both are great unis so you are safe with choosing either. Newcastle has the reputation of being more of a party city so that may affect your choice. Its a personal choice so you should really try and visit both unis. Even if you have missed the open days, walking around the campus and having lunch in one of their cafes will really help you get a feel for the uni. Remember, you will be spending the next 3 years of your life at that city.
ThatSkoolG1RL
Rep:
(Original post by mike23mike)
Both are great uni towns and both are great unis so you are safe with choosing either. Newcastle has the reputation of being more of a party city so that may affect your choice. Its a personal choice so you should really try and visit both unis. Even if you have missed the open days, walking around the campus and having lunch in one of their cafes will really help you get a feel for the uni. Remember, you will be spending the next 3 years of your life at that city.
Thank you, I will definitely do that!
ThatSkoolG1RL
Rep:
(Original post by McGinger)
Look for Campus Tour films on the Uni websites or on YouTube.
Also look for YouTube tourist films about each city.
And read this - https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/advice...versity-offers
Then sit on your hands until at last Easter before you enter anything on UCAS - you will probably have second thoughts and change your mind several times.
Thanks!
University of Sheffield Students
Badges: 12
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Hi ThatSkoolG1RL,

Congratulations on your offer to study at the University of Sheffield!

I am currently a third year student at the University of Sheffield studying Psychology, whilst I cannot give much information about the digital media course, I thought I could give you a good overview of what it is like studying at Sheffield and the city itself.

As other responses mentioned it can be really difficult to choose where to go when you have not visited the unis themselves. When I was choosing my options I found it really helpful to get a real feel for the universities through open days. Open days gave me the experience of what it would be like to stay and study at each university - so if you haven't already been to these it would be a fab idea to have a look - this is what I found the most helpful throughout the decision making process. After visiting you could also potentially make a pros/cons list for each of your options e.g. what the city is like/what the course buildings are like to compare the two. Sometimes Universities offer extra open days for offer holders too for a more in depth look around the course buildings/uni sites so this might be worth looking into too if that is a possibility.

As a city, Sheffield is lovely and very friendly. When I looked around I found the city really welcoming and felt at home (which was a major reason for choosing Sheffield). I think one of the most important things is to feel comfortable with where you are staying. Within Sheffield there are lots of green spaces and parks, and Sheffield is only about 10 minutes away from the Peak District by car if you are interested in exploring this! The city would be ideal if you like walking and trying out lots of different activities.

Sheffield city centre is also really close to the uni with a host of bars and pubs and restaurants to enjoy - I have found that Sheffield itself is quite cheap for living but also for going out if this is something that interests you. Our students union has been voted the best in the UK for over a decade and we have over 350 societies that you can join - I found that joining a club/society really enhanced my university experience and allowed me to meet lots of different people from different courses. We also have great careers support and different opportunities whilst you are doing your degree - we have a careers service and the student JobShop which helps with finding jobs and work experience during uni and after uni too.

I hope this helps and if you have any other questions please do not hesitate to ask! Good luck with exams and making your University choices!

Ella
BSc Psychology
University of Sheffield
username5890578
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by ThatSkoolG1RL)
Hey, I am very grateful to have been offered a place at both of these unis but I have not visited them yet and was wondering if anyone knows about the unis and which one would you advise for me to put as my firm or insurance? I am doing Digital Media if that helps !

Wow, I'm very jealous, congrats!

As mentioned before, I'd just have a look at their campuses, maybe ask some student's studying there, but either way, you're in for a good time at a top university hahaha

I'm also applying for the same courses, are you cool with sharing what grades you were predicted in what subjects? Or how long did it take you to get a response?

Thanks!
Ambitious1999
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by ThatSkoolG1RL)

Sheffield is in a much better location situated close to Leeds, Manchester, Nottingham and is much closer to London than Newcastle.
Newcastle is a rather isolated city miles from anywhere. Both cities are poor and not very affluent but Sheffield probably has more going for it due to its location. There’s not much around Newcastle.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (24)
18.9%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (13)
10.24%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (9)
7.09%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (22)
17.32%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (33)
25.98%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (26)
20.47%

Watched Threads