Right Choice/UCAS EXTRA?

Watch this thread
Pandalovesfood
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi, I applied for adult nursing for my 2022 uni entry but after having my first interview, I feel like nursing is not for me, I mainly chose it because of my parents. Orginially, I wanted to diagnostic radiography but certain aspects of it put me off like the employment because whenever I search diagnostic radiography jobs, there are mainly jobs for Band 6 and higher. What about band 5? Like once i'm graduated, i'm scared that i won't get a job cause there's not enough. That's anothe reason why I picked nursing because the employment rate of nursing is so high. Also, with diagnostic radiography, some of the aspects that kinda put me off is the maths and physics involved in it because I'm not that good in either, right now I'm doing btec applied science so I didn't do any A-level sciences so I feel like I will struggle. I looked at foundation degrees for radiography but there's barely any and 4 of them r really far away. I was thinking about doing a foundation degree of health sciences separately then doing the radiography degree but I'm not sure. Also, I'm an introvert and I have social anxiety so it's difficult for me to work with people so I don't know if I will be good at this job especially the fact that I might have to teach students or that I have to work in the theatre. I'm thinking about applying through UCAS Extra but now I'm confused if I wanna change, all my doubts are stopping me from making any decisions. Should I stick to nursing or change to radiography or to some other course? Please help!
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
You can always ask your current 5 choices to consider you for radiography instead if they offer both courses.
This is a better route than extra.
mike23mike
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
You want to go into radiography but have doubts about being able to cope with maths and teaching others. You cannot find a suitable foundation course and are worried about finding a job when you qualify too. Stick with nursing since there are too many negatives/unknowns with you going down the radiography route.
normaw
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Pandalovesfood)
Hi, I applied for adult nursing for my 2022 uni entry but after having my first interview, I feel like nursing is not for me, I mainly chose it because of my parents. Orginially, I wanted to diagnostic radiography but certain aspects of it put me off like the employment because whenever I search diagnostic radiography jobs, there are mainly jobs for Band 6 and higher. What about band 5? Like once i'm graduated, i'm scared that i won't get a job cause there's not enough. That's anothe reason why I picked nursing because the employment rate of nursing is so high. Also, with diagnostic radiography, some of the aspects that kinda put me off is the maths and physics involved in it because I'm not that good in either, right now I'm doing btec applied science so I didn't do any A-level sciences so I feel like I will struggle. I looked at foundation degrees for radiography but there's barely any and 4 of them r really far away. I was thinking about doing a foundation degree of health sciences separately then doing the radiography degree but I'm not sure. Also, I'm an introvert and I have social anxiety so it's difficult for me to work with people so I don't know if I will be good at this job especially the fact that I might have to teach students or that I have to work in the theatre. I'm thinking about applying through UCAS Extra but now I'm confused if I wanna change, all my doubts are stopping me from making any decisions. Should I stick to nursing or change to radiography or to some other course? Please help!
There is a national shortage of diagnostic radiographers so I doubt if employment will be an issue when you qualify. However, the majority of courses require at least one A level from physics, chemistry and biology/human biology. It is possible to enter the profession via a degree apprenticeship, so that might be a better route in for you:

https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/exp...ing-diagnostic
Pandalovesfood
Rep:
(Original post by mike23mike)
You want to go into radiography but have doubts about being able to cope with maths and teaching others. You cannot find a suitable foundation course and are worried about finding a job when you qualify too. Stick with nursing since there are too many negatives/unknowns with you going down the radiography route.
But with nursing, I think there're negatives too because nursing involves a lot of patient interaction compared to radiography. With radiography, you meet patients for a short amount of time then you see the next, with nursing you are constantly around patients. And nursing requires having to teach other students as well, the only reason why I picked nursing in the first place was because of employment but all the other aspects of nursing don't interest me.
Pandalovesfood
Rep:
(Original post by normaw)
There is a national shortage of diagnostic radiographers so I doubt if employment will be an issue when you qualify. However, the majority of courses require at least one A level from physics, chemistry and biology/human biology. It is possible to enter the profession via a degree apprenticeship, so that might be a better route in for you:

https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/exp...ing-diagnostic
I was thinking of applying for a foundation degree in health sciences because apparently, this will help you prepare for allied health degrees such as radiography. However, I checked the entry requirement for one uni and they said that they mainly are accepting students who don't meet the grade requirements for the normal degree but I do. I already have the grades to do the normal radiography degree of 3 years but I wanna do a foundation degree to brush up on my skills/knowledge.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (29)
35.37%
The paper was reasonable (30)
36.59%
Not feeling great about that exam... (15)
18.29%
It was TERRIBLE (8)
9.76%

Watched Threads