Film production course

Watch this thread
pepperfreckles
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi! I was wondering if anyone here is currently on the film production course and how they feel about it/what they think? I'm thinking of making York my first choice but I want to hear from students first. I really want to have a focus on production and really getting stuck in. Also would love to hear from other applicants too, was also wondering if anyone has heard back with offers yet?
AveriNova
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by pepperfreckles)
Hi! I was wondering if anyone here is currently on the film production course and how they feel about it/what they think? I'm thinking of making York my first choice but I want to hear from students first. I really want to have a focus on production and really getting stuck in. Also would love to hear from other applicants too, was also wondering if anyone has heard back with offers yet?
I'm on it right now and I really love it!! I'm gonna be honest first term is more theory than practical with the story module (where you write your own film from scratch) and the tv and cinema history modules (where you basically just learn the history of tv and cinema). But i have just began term 2 and we are doing so much practical stuff now, making short films etc.

If you are looking to start doing the practical stuff in term 1, I recommend joining YSTV (York Student Television Society). You can find them on youtube and you can be involved in behind the scenes action right from the start.

The lecturers are excellent as well, very knowledgeable about their fields (Nick is the best in my opinion)

let me know if you wanna know anything else!
pepperfreckles
Rep:
(Original post by AveriNova)
I'm on it right now and I really love it!! I'm gonna be honest first term is more theory than practical with the story module (where you write your own film from scratch) and the tv and cinema history modules (where you basically just learn the history of tv and cinema). But i have just began term 2 and we are doing so much practical stuff now, making short films etc.

If you are looking to start doing the practical stuff in term 1, I recommend joining YSTV (York Student Television Society). You can find them on youtube and you can be involved in behind the scenes action right from the start.

The lecturers are excellent as well, very knowledgeable about their fields (Nick is the best in my opinion)

let me know if you wanna know anything else!
That's great thanks! If you can remember, how long did it take for them to get back to you with an offer and what was that offer? Also is there anything you had wished you'd known before starting the course that would have been useful?
AveriNova
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by pepperfreckles)
That's great thanks! If you can remember, how long did it take for them to get back to you with an offer and what was that offer? Also is there anything you had wished you'd known before starting the course that would have been useful?
If I'm remembering correctly, york didn't give out all the offers for the course at the same time, I knew some people online who had already gotten their offers but I finally got an email on the 8th of February for an interview! York is weird where it only interviews some people and others get instant offers, it literally doesn't mean anything though - they just want to know more about you and any ideas you may have! I then had my interview on the 17th February and got an offer the next day - the offer was AAB

Before starting the course, just made sure you have a good laptop that can handle editing software and has lots of RAM, maybe read up a bit on the origins of cinema and TV if you want to get ahead. Honestly, it may not seem like it at first but everyone starts in the same place and the lecturers and tutors treat you as such so don't worry too much if you don't understand something right now.
pepperfreckles
Rep:
(Original post by AveriNova)
If I'm remembering correctly, york didn't give out all the offers for the course at the same time, I knew some people online who had already gotten their offers but I finally got an email on the 8th of February for an interview! York is weird where it only interviews some people and others get instant offers, it literally doesn't mean anything though - they just want to know more about you and any ideas you may have! I then had my interview on the 17th February and got an offer the next day - the offer was AAB

Before starting the course, just made sure you have a good laptop that can handle editing software and has lots of RAM, maybe read up a bit on the origins of cinema and TV if you want to get ahead. Honestly, it may not seem like it at first but everyone starts in the same place and the lecturers and tutors treat you as such so don't worry too much if you don't understand something right now.
Thanks that makes me feel a lot better! Hopefully I'll hear back soon
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Psychology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (76)
41.99%
The paper was reasonable (82)
45.3%
Not feeling great about that exam... (12)
6.63%
It was TERRIBLE (11)
6.08%

Watched Threads