The Student Room Group

How do I hang out with people?

Recently, my friendships have been ended by others and I feel hurt so now I'm trying to make friends. I was alone in classes all the time and still am, how do I befriend someone? I've tried to make a start-off with small talk and it led to nowhere. I don't have very good social skills and many people know me as the quiet stupid girl. So i haven't got a particularly good reputation ; v;.. I'm working on improving my knowledge for class to break that unlucky reputation.

How do I fix my social skills though and what conversations should I get going with people to keep them interested? Are there any ways to get along with people? I'm really bad at speaking in general, I speak too quietly and I often try to practise speaking in the mirror but it does nothing. I've gotten anxiety alot too when talking to people so that's another disadvantage..How do I overcome it?
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Recently, my friendships have been ended by others and I feel hurt so now I'm trying to make friends. I was alone in classes all the time and still am, how do I befriend someone? I've tried to make a start-off with small talk and it led to nowhere. I don't have very good social skills and many people know me as the quiet stupid girl. So i haven't got a particularly good reputation ; v;.. I'm working on improving my knowledge for class to break that unlucky reputation.

How do I fix my social skills though and what conversations should I get going with people to keep them interested? Are there any ways to get along with people? I'm really bad at speaking in general, I speak too quietly and I often try to practise speaking in the mirror but it does nothing. I've gotten anxiety alot too when talking to people so that's another disadvantage..How do I overcome it?

I took a bunch of steps to get over this last year. What worked best for me was asking to go out with anyone - anyone at all and just doing something fun together. I started off with my sisters, then my brothers and then people who i hadn’t hit up in many months (from my current and old school). Every time i did this, we just went out to eat usually. The only time we didn’t was when me and my friends from my old school hit the studio together but this is kind of specific to us because we all have a hobby in common (music). Just like that, I started to enjoy their company again and I also started to become better at enjoying it mainly in the form of talking more. Another thing I never understood was that you have to be happy to talk to others - if you’re nervous or sad or talk about sad things then it will result in people feeling nervous & sad around you. The people that you see talking to tons of people are funny and happy, and as a result, people laugh around them and smile around them. So given the choice to interact with a sad person or a happy person, they’re just gonna choose to interact with a happy person, so do your best to be a happy person even if you’ve gotta force yourself! You have to start small though in order to practice talking one on one. Then when you feel confident with that, you can move on to groups which is literally just a 1 on 1 with a couple more people.

So some things you should consider: Who could you call on a weekend and spend some time with (no matter who they are btw)? Do you and your friends have any hobbies in common? What do your friends talk about and is it stuff that you’re also interested in? Do your hobbies allow you to meet new people?

Have a think about all of that and remember to start small and have a plan. No matter how small the plan is - it’s better to do something rather than nothing. That’s all i got though and i hope this helps.
Reply 2
Original post by j25_8
I took a bunch of steps to get over this last year. What worked best for me was asking to go out with anyone - anyone at all and just doing something fun together. I started off with my sisters, then my brothers and then people who i hadn’t hit up in many months (from my current and old school). Every time i did this, we just went out to eat usually. The only time we didn’t was when me and my friends from my old school hit the studio together but this is kind of specific to us because we all have a hobby in common (music). Just like that, I started to enjoy their company again and I also started to become better at enjoying it mainly in the form of talking more. Another thing I never understood was that you have to be happy to talk to others - if you’re nervous or sad or talk about sad things then it will result in people feeling nervous & sad around you. The people that you see talking to tons of people are funny and happy, and as a result, people laugh around them and smile around them. So given the choice to interact with a sad person or a happy person, they’re just gonna choose to interact with a happy person, so do your best to be a happy person even if you’ve gotta force yourself! You have to start small though in order to practice talking one on one. Then when you feel confident with that, you can move on to groups which is literally just a 1 on 1 with a couple more people.

So some things you should consider: Who could you call on a weekend and spend some time with (no matter who they are btw)? Do you and your friends have any hobbies in common? What do your friends talk about and is it stuff that you’re also interested in? Do your hobbies allow you to meet new people?

Have a think about all of that and remember to start small and have a plan. No matter how small the plan is - it’s better to do something rather than nothing. That’s all i got though and i hope this helps.

I am a happy person though, I try to keep optomistic as much as I can. I just can't hide the nervous me even if I try to, I'm seeing a doctor about this and they mentioned it's likely I've got a social anxiety disorder. Thank you alot though, I have some friends from old school that I would consider worth to be catching up with. I know my brother and I aren't close so it would be worth catching up with him aswell. Thank you again, I really appreciate the advice.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I am a happy person though, I try to keep optomistic as much as I can. I just can't hide the nervous me even if I try to, I'm seeing a doctor about this and they mentioned it's likely I've got a social anxiety disorder. Thank you alot though, I have some friends from old school that I would consider worth to be catching up with. I know my brother and I aren't close so it would be worth catching up with him aswell. Thank you again, I really appreciate the advice.

It’s cool man. If you truly are happy, that’s basically a first step already! I wasn’t exactly happy when I started to fix my social skills which is why it was a lot harder for me and I had to take more steps to make it work (like spending more time with my siblings first). Being happy will make it much easier to present your happy side to whoever you’re talking to, and everyone (I really do mean everyone you will ever meet) likes talking to someone who can show their happy side. When you speak to your brother or your friends during your activity, just let your happy side show through and enjoy their company. Just like that, you’ll find yourself saying all the right words without you even realising it.

This will obviously help you in groups because even in groups you will be talking one on one so long as you’re interested in the topic at hand. In my experience i enjoy talking in groups more now whereas I used to hate it before (I’m kind of an attention ***** tho ngl but that’s not important😂) and all it took was practicing talking to just one person.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending