Computer Science MSc with placement year. Advice please?

Watch this thread
UsernameTaken98
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
My undergrad is completely unrelated to CS. I have been self teaching myself programming while working temp jobs but would like the MSc to learn CS theory, be in the uni environment and have the degree on my CV.

I am leaning towards a placement year although, I am not sure if it is a good idea.

The downside is that I would have to pay the university an additional £1000 for the placement year. Another downside although I am not sure is that I would graduating a year later (not sure about this as you can do a 3 month placement).

By the time I start my course I am confident that I will have an impressive portfolio of projects, as i am currently self taught and try to projects get more complex and my final project is supposed to take 2-3 months to do. Which I think will look good on a CV. I will also have accumulated some practice with data structures and algorithms (but will do more practice during my degree).

I would be responsible for getting the placement. I imagine that if everywhere rejects me my course would just change to the 1 year version anyway. The university boats a good list of partnered companies

Pros of placement:
3 months - 1 year of being an intern = 1 year of experience before applying for grad schemes.
Opportunity to go abroad.
I can also apply for internships during my 3rd semester (the dissertation semester so course ---> intern + diss ---> placement year ---> normal jobs/grad schemes)
More time to practice data structures and algorithms

Cons:
My degree would technically be 2 years
Have to pay 1000
Not much different to just getting a job after I graduate
Last edited by UsernameTaken98; 3 months ago
UsernameTaken98
Badges: 7
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Bump
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (26)
37.68%
The paper was reasonable (22)
31.88%
Not feeling great about that exam... (14)
20.29%
It was TERRIBLE (7)
10.14%

Watched Threads