The Student Room Group

Sociology, Politics or Religious Studies?

What are the pros and cons of each? I’d enjoy all 3 but I’ve already picked Computer Science and Maths
(edited 2 years ago)
I do Politics A-Level and love it. It's very interesting and allows for a lot of debate, if you like that kind of thing. It's also a lot of essay writing, but as long as you know the content the questions aren't too difficult.
I did RE GCSE and also loved it, at my school it's combined with Philosophy and Ethics for A-Level and I've heard it's a lot of reading and essay-writing, but with a lot of debates and questioning.
Sociology is the one I know least about, but my friends that do it love it. Again, a lot of essays, I think, but if you find the content interesting then it can be quite fun.

But all three would go well with your other two subjects.
Reply 2
I do both Religious Studies and Sociology!
Sociology I would say is probably the easiest one for me and it’s very interesting. There is a lot of writing and independent work but I love it. In Year 12 we did Education for the one part of the course and family for the other half. This year in Year 13 we are doing crime and beliefs and I think it’s definitely more interesting than last year.
Religious Studies is my favourite subject but the one that stresses me more because of the exams as in each paper you have to write 3 40 marks essays. However it is so interesting!
Last year we did Ancient Greek Philosophy, Mind body and soul, arguments for the existence of God, and the problem of evil for the Philosophy section. For the Ethics section we did Natural Law, Kantian Ethics, Situation Ethics, Utilitarianism, and Euthanasia. This year so far we’ve done the Nature of God and religious language in Philosophy and Metaethics, Business Ethics and sexual ethics in Ethics. We also do Christian Development which is the third paper in the exams (Augustine, Jesus etc)
You have to do a lot of reading and write a lot but you learn so many things that you can apply in your everyday life so it’s definitely worth it.
As you have chosen Maths I think Religious Studies would be the best choice for you (2 students in my RS class do maths)
You could also try and do 4 a levels maybe? to see which one is best for you and then drop one
Hope this helps!
Original post by Lenaraza
I do both Religious Studies and Sociology!
Sociology I would say is probably the easiest one for me and it’s very interesting. There is a lot of writing and independent work but I love it. In Year 12 we did Education for the one part of the course and family for the other half. This year in Year 13 we are doing crime and beliefs and I think it’s definitely more interesting than last year.
Religious Studies is my favourite subject but the one that stresses me more because of the exams as in each paper you have to write 3 40 marks essays. However it is so interesting!
Last year we did Ancient Greek Philosophy, Mind body and soul, arguments for the existence of God, and the problem of evil for the Philosophy section. For the Ethics section we did Natural Law, Kantian Ethics, Situation Ethics, Utilitarianism, and Euthanasia. This year so far we’ve done the Nature of God and religious language in Philosophy and Metaethics, Business Ethics and sexual ethics in Ethics. We also do Christian Development which is the third paper in the exams (Augustine, Jesus etc)
You have to do a lot of reading and write a lot but you learn so many things that you can apply in your everyday life so it’s definitely worth it.
As you have chosen Maths I think Religious Studies would be the best choice for you (2 students in my RS class do maths)
You could also try and do 4 a levels maybe? to see which one is best for you and then drop one
Hope this helps!

Thank you! I’m doing a L3 Extended Certificate ICT course in addition
Reply 4
Original post by Usernamesaredum
Thank you! I’m doing a L3 Extended Certificate ICT course in addition

Do you want to go to uni after college? If yes what course are you thinking of?
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Lenaraza
Do you want to go to uni after college? If yes what course are you thinking of?

Computer Science
Reply 6
Original post by Usernamesaredum
Computer Science

I think either would be just fine
You should talk to your teachers and they can tell you which one would be best for you

Quick Reply

Latest