Anna83838
Badges: 5
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I’m applying to do adult nursing at a university but I want to become a midwife and don’t have the right qualifications for that course, can I do adult nursing then study midwifery afterwards?
Lauracarter123
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anna83838)
I’m applying to do adult nursing at a university but I want to become a midwife and don’t have the right qualifications for that course, can I do adult nursing then study midwifery afterwards?
Not easily. You wouldn’t be able to access student finance for midwifery if you’ve already studied for an Allied Health Professions degree from what I’ve seen.

Why not look at studying general nursing with the aim of become a paediatric nurse?
Anna83838
Rep:
(Original post by Lauracarter123)
Not easily. You wouldn’t be able to access student finance for midwifery if you’ve already studied for an Allied Health Professions degree from what I’ve seen.

Why not look at studying general nursing with the aim of become a paediatric nurse?
The closing date was yesterday and I only applied for adult nursing
Emily_B
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Lauracarter123)

Doing "general nursing" with the aim of becoming a paeds nurse is impossible. General nursing no longer exists, you have to train in branch specific (adult, child, mental health or LD) - besides, Midwifery is about the pregnant women much more than the babies.

Yes, you can study midwifery after nursing. You wouldn't get funding for undergrad midwifery having already done undergrad nursing, but there is potential to get funding for registered adult nurse to midwife conversion courses (check the info here https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/car...ort-university ). Just remember that these conversion courses are few and far between though.
Tracey_W
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
It's not end of the world for doing adult nursing course ok.
Do this and apply for job on maternity wards and gain experience from it till you ready to do the conversion course for midwifing as you'll learn lots from this.

As Emily said you can study midwifing after you completed adult nursing as you can ask for to do the conversion course ( 20 months top-up degree course to become midwife ), but you'll need to see if this is still available within your local hospital trust at time of applying to do this ( need permission from management). As those being phrased out at most hospital trusts as everybody having now to do the whole 3 years course. Only downfall for doing this conversion course is that you lose your adult nurse registration temporary untill you complete the conversion course and it stops you working as a adult nurse as you be classed again as a student.
Funding for this is the issues as you won't get it so you'll pay for it yourself but looking at Emily link she given you on it will be worth looking into okay.

I'm a registered midwife.

(Original post by Emily_B)
Doing "general nursing" with the aim of becoming a paeds nurse is impossible. General nursing no longer exists, you have to train in branch specific (adult, child, mental health or LD) - besides, Midwifery is about the pregnant women much more than the babies.

Yes, you can study midwifery after nursing. You wouldn't get funding for undergrad midwifery having already done undergrad nursing, but there is potential to get funding for registered adult nurse to midwife conversion courses (check the info here https://www.healthcareers.nhs.uk/car...ort-university ). Just remember that these conversion courses are few and far between though.
midwife2020
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Yes, you will be able to complete a midwifery top-up after becoming a nurse if the conversion course is still available (I know many universities are phasing them out).

Don't be disheartened though, what i would do if i was in your situation is still go ahead with the adult nursing and attempt to get in to a midwifery course through clearing. I know they don't have many spaces but some universities do have open spaces through clearing.

Another option definitely worth considering and i know a few women have done this... is to re-apply. A few people i know did their first year nursing but whilst on the course they applied to do midwifery and the experience they gained whilst doing their first year nursing helped them to gain a space on the midwifery course the following September! That way you haven't wasted 3 years to just do another 2 years to be a midwife. Instead, you gain clinical experience and valuable skills for one year which you will need to be a midwife and it helps you get on the course and qualify quicker!

I hope these options help you
Anna83838
Rep:
(Original post by midwife2020)
Yes, you will be able to complete a midwifery top-up after becoming a nurse if the conversion course is still available (I know many universities are phasing them out).

Don't be disheartened though, what i would do if i was in your situation is still go ahead with the adult nursing and attempt to get in to a midwifery course through clearing. I know they don't have many spaces but some universities do have open spaces through clearing.

Another option definitely worth considering and i know a few women have done this... is to re-apply. A few people i know did their first year nursing but whilst on the course they applied to do midwifery and the experience they gained whilst doing their first year nursing helped them to gain a space on the midwifery course the following September! That way you haven't wasted 3 years to just do another 2 years to be a midwife. Instead, you gain clinical experience and valuable skills for one year which you will need to be a midwife and it helps you get on the course and qualify quicker!

I hope these options help you
I mainly didn’t apply for midwifery because I didn’t have the right qualifications for it but I did for adult nursing, I have an interview for adult nursing in a couple weeks so I’ll see how that goes and have a think about it , thanks for the advice!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (17)
23.94%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (8)
11.27%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
5.63%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (10)
14.08%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (16)
22.54%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (16)
22.54%

Watched Threads