Kicked out of access course AFTER submitting UCAS

Watch this thread
momentarilymori
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi, pretty much what it says in the title. I've lurked the forums for a bit but can't really find anything I can trust as 100% relevant.

So, I was kicked off my access course due to poor attendance. Mental health issues were the main reason; I was still doing okay turning in coursework for a while but then after having to resubmit something I fell behind. Pretty sure the educational centre shelled out £500 on therapy for me, then when I felt better and completed therapy told me I had already failed and removed me.

I'm applying for art courses. Nowhere big; nothing like UAL. My main options were Brighton, Portsmouth and UCA.

But now that I won't have my level 3 qualification, do I bother still going to interviews if I get offered? Probably not, right? Do I try to get in based on portfolio alone? I've heard of it supposedly being done but you're against people with other qualifications. My only other qualifications are a Level 2 in Art and Design. :/

2 of the courses I applied for don't have a foundation year/option, if that's any relevance.

I'm kind of lost here. Do I give up for this year? I've been told I can go back to my access course this September but I had a plethora of other issues with that university and I really, really don't want to go back.
My lecturer was the only lecturer I had and it was hard to speak to him, student services never responds, etc.

Can provide more details if needed, probably will be a bit vague in some areas.
one_two_three
Badges: 17
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
If you are struggling on the access course then it might not be the right time to start university. I think you should take the offer and go back in September. Also, put a support system in place for you so that next time you are struggling, you already have what you need so that you can continue to work towards your goals.

I understand when you say that it was hard to speak to your lecturer and that may have made it more difficult, but ultimately they are just a lecturer. There are different services when you need further help, but your lecturers role is just academic. It is a bonus if you get a lecturer who is more approachable and pastoral, but at the end of the day it isn't their job and it is not what they are qualified to deal with. It is very different to a school setting where there is that expectation, and it is no different to a university. But on the flip side, colleges and universities offer so much more in the way of support through other services.
momentarilymori
Rep:
(Original post by one_two_three)
If you are struggling on the access course then it might not be the right time to start university. I think you should take the offer and go back in September. Also, put a support system in place for you so that next time you are struggling, you already have what you need so that you can continue to work towards your goals.

I understand when you say that it was hard to speak to your lecturer and that may have made it more difficult, but ultimately they are just a lecturer. There are different services when you need further help, but your lecturers role is just academic. It is a bonus if you get a lecturer who is more approachable and pastoral, but at the end of the day it isn't their job and it is not what they are qualified to deal with. It is very different to a school setting where there is that expectation, and it is no different to a university. But on the flip side, colleges and universities offer so much more in the way of support through other services.
It was only a temporary rough patch from August until January. Since then I have been put on suitable medication and finished up some therapy.

I do not want to go back there. My problems were only made worse by consistent poor admin on the university's side. Their support system is practically non existent. It took them ages to actually offer me therapy, which is external. I was supposedly given the option to work in another room/have different arrangements to help with my social anxiety, which seemed good, right? I thought so too.

The day I tried it, I went in, registered myself as present, sat down as the task was discussed and once my lecturer stopped talking and we began to work, I quietly excused myself to the other room just next door, planning to go in every so-often to check what was going on. It actually wasn't difficult to stay updated, the room was divided by dividers rather than walls, so I could hear everything.
Anyway, he comes in a bit later, maybe 30 minutes or so? And talks to me about my attendance. I acknowledge the issue but reassure him I'm here now and I'm working and I've been looking at work and previous teaching slides while absent anyway.

He proceeds to tell me, in response to me saying 'I'm here/Present now': "Well. No. Not really." and mentions about how I'm in another room so it doesn't count as me being there?
THEN proceeds to say I never took up the alternative work arrangements that were "OFFERED" to me?
Never responded to emails either then say I never emailed him about absences when I have several sent emails in recorded on my email.

That's just a small example. Hate to ramble, just wanted to provide context. If I had more options than to speak to my lecturer, I'd take them. I've tried. My calls have either gone unanswered (Student services said they opened at 8am but for some reason remained closed until 12pm that day, took 5 calls to get through, not all at once of course. Left a voicemail on the second call. Not the first time it's happened, either. Common complaint among students.)

tl;dr the uni has no support system, which is why I performed so poorly during a temporary rough patch. I personally believe I'm ready to study an undegraduate course and would be well on my way if it wasn't for temporary obstacles and some of the reasons mentioned above.
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Have you used all 5 choices on ucas?
How old are you?
momentarilymori
Rep:
(Original post by PQ)
Have you used all 5 choices on ucas?
How old are you?
I've used all 5 choices, 2 course choices are delivered by the same university.
I'm 18, will be 19 in September.
PQ
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by momentarilymori)
I've used all 5 choices, 2 course choices are delivered by the same university.
I'm 18, will be 19 in September.
Did you apply within the last 14 days?

Your only option if you want to avoid a gap year is to try to get your choices changed to a foundation year option (and even then that’s not guaranteed).

At 19 you’ll need level 3 qualifications to get into yr 1. And usually for yr 0 entry.

You need to notify your universities.

It might be worth approaching local fe colleges to see if they’ll accept you as an external candidate for an A level in Art to improve your chances of getting into a foundation year (even an art foundation diploma will usually require 1 or 2 A levels in most cases)
momentarilymori
Rep:
I think it's been over 14 days.

I'll see but a lot won't accept me because I don't have GCSE Maths. Which sucks.
PQ
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
To be honest I think your best option is to start a BTEC or UAL 2 year extended diploma in September and resit your gcse maths alongside it.

I’m not sure why you went from gcse/level 2 to an access diploma. That’s not a good choice unless you’re over 19 and have been out of education for more than 2 years. An access diploma is an intensive course and not suitable for many students. Especially if you’re 18 a standard btec or A levels is a better option spread over 2 years.
momentarilymori
Rep:
I tried to do A-Levels but nowhere would accept me in my area because I didn't have maths GCSE. I did retake it but I failed again. Nowhere would allow me to retake it alongside A-Levels.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (14)
20.9%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (7)
10.45%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
5.97%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (10)
14.93%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (16)
23.88%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (16)
23.88%

Watched Threads