if someone ask where you from is it from the place you were born or parent?

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
for example if you were born in UK and hold dual nationality in Japan but parent are born in Japan. Can you say to people that you are from Japan since your name is Japanese, looks Asian and English was their second language. I saying this because my English isn't good and i am Asian and i was born in UK but i did half of my education in Japan due to family work so i don't feel i am 100% British despite having a British passport. And if i say i am from UK it would sound stupid in front of people that I can't communicate very well in English as it has always been a struggle as a second language. I am also working in the UK at Nissan but when i try to apply to other companies people always tend to ask where i am from (for visa purpose) but i just i am from Japan but have a British passport to avoid being stupid because i don't look like someone who is from the UK despite being born in UK- hope it make sense. Thanks.
Blackstarr
Badges: 20
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
I get you because I feel the exact same way you do. I don't think there is a right or wrong way to answer this. Its down to the individual and how they feel.
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
You could probably just say that you were raised partially in Japan and partially in the UK, and leave it at that.

I never really know what to say when people ask where I'm from either. I don't know whether to say where I was born, where I was raised, or where I'm living now.
1secondsofvamps
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Annoyingly enough, someone asked me this the other day and it's a question i never really know how to answer.
"What part of asia are you from?"
Technically I wasn't born in asia so i told him my ethnicity and nationality. But then he was like "No, I meant your parents" like ??? does it really matter?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Sociology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (29)
24.79%
The paper was reasonable (51)
43.59%
Not feeling great about that exam... (25)
21.37%
It was TERRIBLE (12)
10.26%

Watched Threads