My IQ is 103, should I NOT go Uni?

Watch this thread
hakim667
Badges: 9
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Recently did one of those Mensa IQ tests, there were two types, scored 103 and 100. (50% on both).

I was on reddit and asked what these results translated to in terms of real world examples of people with the same IQ or very near this. Turns out that with this IQ I will probably not be intellectually capable of graduating through most subjects at university level .

They also sent proofs to back this up such as statistics showing the average IQ of people in certain professions and the average IQ of a university graduate as well as the fact that the people who dropout tend to have an IQ that is BELOW the average IQ of a university graduate.

This is just really depressing stuff. Am I wasting my time going to university?
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
Well you can write and spell perfectly well. I wouldn't really take the online free IQ tests all that seriously.
There's far more to intelligence than the sort of things that you're tested on with those tests. Many of the subjects you can study at university don't involve mentally rotating shapes, or figuring out number patterns. There's plenty of things you can do.
I really wouldn't put too much stock in worrying about your IQ. If you've been okay at studying so far, then you're perfectly fine to go to uni. After all, if you can pass their entry requirements, then you're qualified to be at uni - simples!
hakim667
Rep:
(Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
Well you can write and spell perfectly well. I wouldn't really take the online free IQ tests all that seriously.
There's far more to intelligence than the sort of things that you're tested on with those tests. Many of the subjects you can study at university don't involve mentally rotating shapes, or figuring out number patterns. There's plenty of things you can do.
I really wouldn't put too much stock in worrying about your IQ. If you've been okay at studying so far, then you're perfectly fine to go to uni. After all, if you can pass their entry requirements, then you're qualified to be at uni - simples!
Hey )

Thanks for the swift response!

This was a test I did at their centre, hence my worries.

I'm a big believer in the phrase, "men lie, women lie, numbers don't."

Given the statistical evidence to suggest that their is a strong correlation between IQ and success at university/college level education and beyond, I feel compelled to actually take this seriously.

I was qualified to go apply to my chosen course, which was Quantity surveying and commercial management at Loughborough university...but In all honesty...my sixth form education was easy (an extended level BTEC in business as well as two IB Diplomas SL);

I got;

Business level 3 Extended Diploma: D*DD
IBO (SL) Math studies: 4
IBO (SL) English Language and lit: 5

I don't know, I'm just nervous, the last thing I want to be is another statistical victim that is apart of those poor souls who aren't intelligent enough to graduate from uni.
anonymous #5000
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by hakim667)
Hey )

Thanks for the swift response!

This was a test I did at their centre, hence my worries.

I'm a big believer in the phrase, "men lie, women lie, numbers don't."

Given the statistical evidence to suggest that their is a strong correlation between IQ and success at university/college level education and beyond, I feel compelled to actually take this seriously.

I was qualified to go apply to my chosen course, which was Quantity surveying and commercial management at Loughborough university...but In all honesty...my sixth form education was easy (an extended level BTEC in business as well as two IB Diplomas SL);

I got;

Business level 3 Extended Diploma: D*DD
IBO (SL) Math studies: 4
IBO (SL) English Language and lit: 5

I don't know, I'm just nervous, the last thing I want to be is another statistical victim that is apart of those poor souls who aren't intelligent enough to graduate from uni.
How did you find GCSE?
hakim667
Rep:
(Original post by anonymous #5000)
How did you find GCSE?
Never took it seriously, my results were;

-Mathematics: 5
-English Language: 4
-English Literature: 4
-Core Science: C
-Additional Science: B
-Business BTEC: D*
-I.T BTEC (L2): M

Oh...and Geogroahy and Spanish...yeah, I flunked those classes completely, like, I really just didn't care back then, which I now regret, failed those two subjects.
PossiblyNotGod
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
First, for those statistics, I'm thinking that they did not show the distribution, and I'm leaning on the side that if you did it would show a number of people with IQ's lower than yours who managed. Secondly, you seem to be on the right mental observational side given you value statistics but keep in mind statistics can be misleading without the entire data. I'm not going to say that uni would be easy because it's challenging for most people but the main criteria I would suggest to look at is are you motivated with a strong desire to learn and get through uni?

If you're still worried, find the content that is going to be studied during the degree you will pick and get a head start. You can delay when you start uni and learn most of the first-year content which will help you build the confidence you need to pursue the rest of the degree.
anonymous #5000
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Never took it seriously, my results were;

-Mathematics: 5
-English Language: 4
-English Literature: 4
-Core Science: C
-Additional Science: B
-Business BTEC: D*
-I.T BTEC (L2): M

Oh...and Geogroahy and Spanish...yeah, I flunked those classes completely, like, I really just didn't care back then, which I now regret, failed those two subjects.
I see. It seems as though you're not particularly comfortable with academic material. I don't want to be a downer but I see you struggling with university material based off these results.
Last edited by anonymous #5000; 3 months ago
hakim667
Rep:
(Original post by anonymous #5000)
I see. It seems as though you're not particularly comfortable with academic material. I don't want to be a downer but I see you struggling with university material based off these results.
Maybe man. I would absolutely agree with you but its just, I've never really revised before and I've never paid attention in the majority of my classes, this is the only thing in my mind that makes me think, well...if I passed most of my GCSEs by doing these things, what would I get if I actually worked hard in my studies through revision and took all my classes seriously?
Gabgool
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Maybe man. I would absolutely agree with you but its just, I've never really revised before and I've never paid attention in the majority of my classes, this is the only thing in my mind that makes me think, well...if I passed most of my GCSEs by doing these things, what would I get if I actually worked hard in my studies through revision and took all my classes seriously?
If you've met the entrance requirement then you're capable enough.

'Numbers don't lie' but that also means you should be careful when interepreting numbers. Correlation and causation. There may be many factors affecting one number or any statistic so don't take it at face value. If you want to believe in stats presented to you by users of the internet well take the following: UK average IQ is 99. You are 4 points above the average IQ in the UK...
Last edited by Gabgool; 3 months ago
hakim667
Rep:
(Original post by PossiblyNotGod)
First, for those statistics, I'm thinking that they did not show the distribution, and I'm leaning on the side that if you did it would show a number of people with IQ's lower than yours who managed. Secondly, you seem to be on the right mental observational side given you value statistics but keep in mind statistics can be misleading without the entire data. I'm not going to say that uni would be easy because it's challenging for most people but the main criteria I would suggest to look at is are you motivated with a strong desire to learn and get through uni?

If you're still worried, find the content that is going to be studied during the degree you will pick and get a head start. You can delay when you start uni and learn most of the first-year content which will help you build the confidence you need to pursue the rest of the degree.
A1 response, many thanks!

I think I will get to doing that. The course I have, which starts in September of this year, does not seem as academically dense as opposed to a STEM subject, so I hope further preparing by going through some of the content now, I would have some sort of an edge...

I say some sort because, as you might expect, I already thought about this before doing any IQ test. I wanted that edge over everyone else by getting a head start so I asked the professors during my interviews whether it would be appropriate for me to prepare and if so, how could I? (as in, what content could I go through). They told me not to bother and just start revising when the course starts due to potential "bad habits" that could be picked up as well as a change in course content.

You know what... I just hope bitcoin gets to $1,000,000 a decade from now, hell, even $500,000 would suffice.

I purchased my 7 bitcoins towards the end of 2018, which was also after I had got my compensation money, best decision my average a** IQ has made in my life so far, that's pretty much all I have as of now, along with a line of other cryptocurrencies such as Solana, Polygon, and Ethereum, all of which I purchased in the pursuit of financial freedom.

Man, all this stress just to be able to get a degree and earn a living...
I just want my cryptocurrencies to give me the financial freedom to, at the very least, buy a nice house. I don't even mind working a 9-5 job, as long as I have a house I own and a bitcoin or two left to have as a sort of rainy day fund
mike23mike
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Read the attached research paper. Quoting from it,

"IQ tests rarely account for more than 50% of the variance in academic performance ... factors other than ability contribute to individual differences in academic performance".

"Conscientiousness accounted for a substantial amount of additional variance in academic performance. . . deep learning approach contributed to . . academic performance beyond personality and intelligence"

Deep learning relates to a student's genuine interest in the topic and a desire to learn about it. The desire to learn and working hard trumps intelligence. Thus an intelligent student may get there quicker but someone who is hardworking and has a genuine interest in the subject will get there too.
Attached files
Last edited by mike23mike; 3 months ago
PossiblyNotGod
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
gjd800
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by mike23mike)
Read the attached research paper. Quoting from it,

"IQ tests rarely account for more than 50% of the variance in academic performance ... factors other than ability contribute to individual differences in academic performance".

"Conscientiousness accounted for a substantial amount of additional variance in academic performance. . . deep learning approach contributed to . . academic performance beyond personality and intelligence"

Deep learning relates to a student's genuine interest in the topic and a desire to learn about it. The desire to learn and working hard trumps intelligence. Thus an intelligent student may get there quicker but someone who is hardworking and has a genuine interest in the subject will get there too.
Yet again, another great reply.

OP - your IQ is all but meaningless in this equation. The people that tell you otherwise are clueless, do not pay them any heed.
ROTL94 2
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Recently did one of those Mensa IQ tests, there were two types, scored 103 and 100. (50% on both).

I was on reddit and asked what these results translated to in terms of real world examples of people with the same IQ or very near this. Turns out that with this IQ I will probably not be intellectually capable of graduating through most subjects at university level .

They also sent proofs to back this up such as statistics showing the average IQ of people in certain professions and the average IQ of a university graduate as well as the fact that the people who dropout tend to have an IQ that is BELOW the average IQ of a university graduate.

This is just really depressing stuff. Am I wasting my time going to university?
That was funny thanks for that, I needed a laugh. 103 is slightly above average, you could with an average intelligence do quite well at university, don't listen to what Redditors tell you especially if they're telling you that you're not capable of doing something.
Elijah_Jacobs
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
There are a range of universities.

Choose an easier one or redo the IQ test until you master it to a level where you feel good about yourself. Then you can join the rest of these clowns at mensa and feel good about mastering a test but never having actually solved a real problem or anything considerably abstract.
Last edited by Elijah_Jacobs; 3 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (25)
18.94%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (15)
11.36%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (10)
7.58%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (22)
16.67%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (34)
25.76%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (26)
19.7%

Watched Threads