not enjoying my year abroad, tips to have a better time?

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
i'm a languages student currently coming towards the end of my first year abroad placement and am dreading starting my second one in march.
i really disliked my first study placement here in Europe, the university here is so chaotically organised and they assign far too much work for me to keep up with. i usually struggle with seasonal depression but it's been a lot worse this year due to the combination of homesickness and hating the university i study at. i did reach out to my home university for support and they were quite helpful - scheduling weekly meetings with me to see how i am and referring me to a wellbeing officer - but overall they can't help with my studies and my exchange uni being difficult.
i really want to have a better time during my second placement, but it's in East Asia so i will be much further from home and i know that will be hard to cope with. thankfully there will be a few students from the same UK uni as me attending the same study placement, so i will have a more familiar support network, but i would really appreciate any tips people could offer on how to enjoy my next placement to the best of my ability.
EIL3EN
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
i'm a languages student currently coming towards the end of my first year abroad placement and am dreading starting my second one in march.
i really disliked my first study placement here in Europe, the university here is so chaotically organised and they assign far too much work for me to keep up with. i usually struggle with seasonal depression but it's been a lot worse this year due to the combination of homesickness and hating the university i study at. i did reach out to my home university for support and they were quite helpful - scheduling weekly meetings with me to see how i am and referring me to a wellbeing officer - but overall they can't help with my studies and my exchange uni being difficult.
i really want to have a better time during my second placement, but it's in East Asia so i will be much further from home and i know that will be hard to cope with. thankfully there will be a few students from the same UK uni as me attending the same study placement, so i will have a more familiar support network, but i would really appreciate any tips people could offer on how to enjoy my next placement to the best of my ability.
Take a breathe and try not to let what happened at your First placement affect your next. If you get a little bit of time at home in between placements spend time with your friends/family and speak to your doctor maybe about medication. Have you researched the university or country you're going to? When I went I was familiar with the country already but looked at the modules I'd be studying to get excited about what I'd be learning. Making a list of things to do whilst you're in the country might help give you something to look forward to. Does the new uni have a buddy programme where you can get in touch with a student before you go? Then you'll have a local support already, as well as your peers from the UK.
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by EIL3EN)
Take a breathe and try not to let what happened at your First placement affect your next. If you get a little bit of time at home in between placements spend time with your friends/family and speak to your doctor maybe about medication. Have you researched the university or country you're going to? When I went I was familiar with the country already but looked at the modules I'd be studying to get excited about what I'd be learning. Making a list of things to do whilst you're in the country might help give you something to look forward to. Does the new uni have a buddy programme where you can get in touch with a student before you go? Then you'll have a local support already, as well as your peers from the UK.
thank you, those are all really helpful suggestions tbh i wasn't expecting my second placement to go ahead because of coronavirus so my home uni have ended up organising things last minute, so i don't think i've had time to adjust to the idea of actually going yet.
i've looked into the university i'll be going to and the non-language modules seem really fun and engaging, i'm just worried i'll be overwhelmed with the workload again. i'm also not very familiar with the country, i've never been and was expecting to go somewhere else before my YA started, so you're definitely right about me needing to do research into the country.
as for going back to the UK i only have about a 2 weeks turnaround between placements, so i don't think starting medication would be a feasible option, i think i would have to wait until i come back from the YA (plus in my case at least GPs prefer making u go to therapy like 10 times before giving u any meds lol), but seeing family and friends is definitely something i need
thank you again for your advice! i'll get started on a pros list
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (18)
21.18%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (11)
12.94%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (5)
5.88%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (15)
17.65%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (17)
20%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (19)
22.35%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed