I wanna publish my very own children’s book

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
So here’s a few thing I really wanna publish a children’s book and have a few questions about it. I have been offered to publish my children’s book with AuthorHouse for 1699.50 pounds I would have to pay but can pay in installments so here’s my questions

1) How much does a children’s Author earn per month especially if they are new to it
2)AuthorHouse has offered to do my illustrations for me wondering how good they are at illustrations and if they a good company or not for publishing books
3) I be offered a marketing team and social media team and also would like to know whether they good or not as well .
4) Overall I am mainly publishing a children’s book for the passion and experience
skylark2
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
You need to look up "vanity publishing". Follow it up with a search for "Authorhouse scam". (Do a similar search with a publisher you have heard of, for instance "Penguin scam", and compare.)

1) A children's author who has vanity published? Nothing. The only copies of your book you will sell are those you have begged family and friends to buy. There is no way you will make your costs back again.

2) Walk into your local bookshop, find some children's books published by them where they did the illustrations, see what the illustrations are like. (I'm being mean here - you will be unable to complete the second stage. Vanity published books aren't sold in bookshops.) They are an awful company for publishing books.

3) That will be a lie, I'm afraid. If you're lucky, they will put out a couple of tweets. See the results you get from searching for "authorhouse scam".

4) Nothing wrong with that, but for goodness sake don't pay a small fortune for the privilege. You can publish your own book for a tiny fraction of that cost - look up "kindle direct publishing".

I've been very blunt here - I'm sorry this isn't what you wanted to hear, but please do not be another one of their victims.
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 22
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
Publish your own book through Ingram Spark, or via Kindle Direct if you can't be bothered dealing with the layout and buying your own ISBN. It'll not be anywhere near as much as the figure you've been quoted.

As for how much you'll earn - next to nothing. Don't go into this thinking you're going to become rich - the old adage of penniless writer isn't for nothing.

Anecdotal evidence - I've self published three books of my own so far.
Coventry University Student Ambassadors
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
So here’s a few thing I really wanna publish a children’s book and have a few questions about it. I have been offered to publish my children’s book with AuthorHouse for 1699.50 pounds I would have to pay but can pay in installments so here’s my questions

1) How much does a children’s Author earn per month especially if they are new to it
2)AuthorHouse has offered to do my illustrations for me wondering how good they are at illustrations and if they a good company or not for publishing books
3) I be offered a marketing team and social media team and also would like to know whether they good or not as well .
4) Overall I am mainly publishing a children’s book for the passion and experience
Hi there,

My name is Eleanor and I'm a Student Ambassador at Coventry University- I study Illustration & Animation, I have created three books whilst at University and it's also my passion to write novels (for young adults) and illustrate them!

I would highly advise to see some of their past work as they have offered to do your illustrations- if you're unsure about their style or skills, definitely ask for some examples of published work!

The main reason I wanted to reply to you was the fact that we just had an artist talk in lectures from an published children's book writer -who had graduated from Coventry 6 months ago! Already she has two books published about mental health and ED for children who struggle with it daily. Her name is Eleanor Loseby and here is her instagram, she is pretty active with replies so I'm sure she'll speak to you if you told her Eleanor Hopkins (me) sent you! Here is the link: https://www.instagram.com/brushandbr...rations/?hl=en

Hopefully she will have some information for you that you will find valuable!

El
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (154)
41.62%
Not yet, but I will soon (69)
18.65%
No (147)
39.73%

Watched Threads