Help!!!! Need urgent advice

Watch this thread
thupreme
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Can a student be removed from private student accommodation where there is evidence that they are not using the premises to study but are involved in anti-social behavior such as playing music at excessively loud volumes and smoking cannabis?
ROTL94 2
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
Yes, the tenancy contract can be terminated on the basis of a client's (the tenant's) breach, repeated or otherwise, of said agreement.
thupreme
Rep:
(Original post by ROTL94 2)
Yes, the tenancy contract can be terminated on the basis of a client's (the tenant's) breach, repeated or otherwise, of said agreement.
I've addressed this with the managing agents and they seem hesitant to terminate the tenancy on the basis that it 'takes too long' for courts to remove someone - this isn't an acceptable excuse. Should I contact a lawyer and get their opinion?
ROTL94 2
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by thupreme)
I've addressed this with the managing agents and they seem hesitant to terminate the tenancy on the basis that it 'takes too long' for courts to remove someone - this isn't an acceptable excuse. Should I contact a lawyer and get their opinion?
Have a read of this, if in doubt do contact a solicitor.
https://www.gov.uk/evicting-tenants
Last edited by ROTL94 2; 3 months ago
BlueChicken
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I would also go back to them and say it is unacceptable - what's the point of the conditions in the tenancy agreement then? Don't threaten, but point out that your next point of call would be legal advice/solicitor if they don't address this. Good luck.
thupreme
Rep:
(Original post by BlueChicken)
I would also go back to them and say it is unacceptable - what's the point of the conditions in the tenancy agreement then? Don't threaten, but point out that your next point of call would be legal advice/solicitor if they don't address this. Good luck.
yes, I 100% agree. like what is the point writing up a tenancy agreement if they are not enforcing breaches in the contract. thank you! i will mention this to them
thupreme
Rep:
(Original post by ROTL94 2)
Have a read of this, if in doubt do contact a solicitor.
https://www.gov.uk/evicting-tenants
thank you for this!!
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
Can a student be removed from private student accommodation where there is evidence that they are not using the premises to study but are involved in anti-social behavior such as playing music at excessively loud volumes and smoking cannabis?
Undoubtedly they could - and probably would be. Furthermore, that sort of behaviour could be viewed as bringing the university into disrepute, resulting in disciplinary proceedings being initiated against you at university.
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I wonder why they are anticipating the need to get a solicitor involved?

Sounds like the landlord just doesn't want to know tbh.
thupreme
Rep:
(Original post by Admit-One)
I wonder why they are anticipating the need to get a solicitor involved?

Sounds like the landlord just doesn't want to know tbh.
I can't even recall the number of emails I've sent to my managing agents about the noise he's making. we had a university meeting recently where he agreed not to play music past 11 pm (even admitting he didn't care for the degree he was doing but was only doing it because his mother told him to do it and even said in front of university staff uni degrees don't mean anything) but prior to that he was playing must at excessive volumes at any time of the day past 11 pm on many occasions even at 1 am with large speakers that created enough bass that made my walls vibrate. unfortunately for me, my bed is against that wall so you can imagine being awoken by bass that I could not only hear but feel the vibrations in my chest. the music continues but now he will play it before 11 pm at stupid hours of the day at loud volumes as he believes he can play it as loud as he wants because it's not 11 pm. I explained this to him yesterday and he was being argumentative, rude, and inconsiderate. he told me I should go to the library and study so that he can play his music.

I had spent that morning studying in the library and wanted to come back to my studio to relax which i couldn't do. :/

my question - as a tenant, I am entitled to quiet enjoyment of the property which he is disturbing. I am also extremely bothered by his cannabis smoking which I have addressed and he still continues to do it.

he is an international student, are sanctions harsher on them?
Last edited by thupreme; 3 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (133)
43.04%
Not yet, but I will soon (54)
17.48%
No (122)
39.48%

Watched Threads