Getting a student loan with a spent conviction in England

Watch this thread
elisa.c
Badges: 6
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi,My cousin was sentenced to 6 years in jail when he was 18. He just got out of jail now and he is almost 24. He doesn’t have any employable skill and he is struggling to enter the job market because of his criminal record. We are trying to understand if he is eligible for financial support from Student Finance England to start an undergraduate degree in any university in England, either as a part time or full time student.
PhoenixFortune
Badges: 21
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by elisa.c)
Hi,My cousin was sentenced to 6 years in jail when he was 18. He just got out of jail now and he is almost 24. He doesn’t have any employable skill and he is struggling to enter the job market because of his criminal record. We are trying to understand if he is eligible for financial support from Student Finance England to start an undergraduate degree in any university in England, either as a part time or full time student.
Convictions don't seem to have any bearing on SFE funding entitlement:
The Student Loans Company offer financial support to anybody studying in higher education to cover the cost of tuition fees and living expenses. The Student Loans Company do not ask you to disclose details of criminal convictions however, UCAS, with your consent, may share details of your application with the Student Loans Company.
Source: https://unlock.org.uk/advice/funding-opportunities-2/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (70)
19.44%
The paper was reasonable (133)
36.94%
Not feeling great about that exam... (105)
29.17%
It was TERRIBLE (52)
14.44%

Watched Threads