Royal Holloway vs Goldsmiths: Clinical Psychology MSc

Watch this thread
khancept16
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
I've applied for MSc Clinical Psych at RHU and Goldsmiths and am confused between both these unis in terms of what opportunities I'd get after graduating. I have been hearing that work placement, job opportunities might be not as great right after RHU as opposed to Goldsmith which provides placement as part of the course. Keep in mind that I'm an international student, and can't really afford to take big gaps in trying to find jobs, placements etc. Maybe Goldsmiths being in London and RHU in Egham might have a role to play

Even though RHU has been a top priority for me, I am now getting a bit more biased towards Goldsmiths purely on the basis of future prospects. I am aware of the high-quality teaching of psychology at RHU. But I need to think long term as I aspire for a DClinPsy

Also, there is a 10,000-pound tuition fee difference between RHU and Goldsmith despite the latter being in London.

Would love some clarity, thank you!
Lord Asriel
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
Before you do even that, be aware as an international student you may not be eligible for traditional funded UK DClinPsy programmes if you don't already have right to work in the UK, as they are a job. See this: https://www.leeds.ac.uk/chpccp/faqinternational.html

Other than that, placements by themselves don't get you straight onto a DClinPsy place, but can open up doors to contacts, references and future entry level jobs as they will expose you to the clinical environment. Having been involved in the selection process it's always the experience and your ability to reflect over the institution you attend. You get that through an environment that you feel comfortable in and being able to connect and learn from people there.
khancept16
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
(Original post by Lord Asriel)
Other than that, placements by themselves don't get you straight onto a DClinPsy place, but can open up doors to contacts, references and future entry level jobs as they will expose you to the clinical environment. Having been involved in the selection process it's always the experience and your ability to reflect over the institution you attend.
Yes, that's exactly what I meant; opportunities, new doors etc. if that is the case, London in itself seems like a better option for an international student starting from scratch.

Would you then say, purely from the pov of future work opportunities, Goldsmiths is a good option? It's just saving me a lot of money, but I am deeply confused between choosing that and the obvious better school for Psychology (RHU)

I am aware of the funding issue of DClinPsy, and that is why I mentioned it as long term. Getting the work visa, working for 5 years, and then applying.

Thank you for your response
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you done work experience at school/college?

Yes (154)
41.62%
Not yet, but I will soon (69)
18.65%
No (147)
39.73%

Watched Threads