Help with Civil Service ‘Skills and Experience’ section

Watch this thread
Hello34
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
Hi guys, so I am applying for a position in the civil service and I am completely lost as to how to answer the ‘Skills and Experience’ section.

I believe i pick a skill, talk about it and link it back to the success profile, but I am unsure. Please read my example and let me know if I am on the right track

Customer Service: A key part of being a receptionist is the ability to work with clients to understand their needs and expectations. This at times requires me to identify and use the appropriate approach with different individuals, to explain to them what needs to be done, what they can expect and how to move forward. This is especially useful when I am dealing with complaints, and want to make things right. The end goal is always to ensure that clients have an amazing spa experience, and leave happy. Thus it is my responsibility to accomplish this for them, all while learning from the experience and communicating the situation/outcome to my colleagues and manager.

Thank you in advance
myalauryn
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Hello34)
Hi guys, so I am applying for a position in the civil service and I am completely lost as to how to answer the ‘Skills and Experience’ section.

I believe i pick a skill, talk about it and link it back to the success profile, but I am unsure. Please read my example and let me know if I am on the right track

Customer Service: A key part of being a receptionist is the ability to work with clients to understand their needs and expectations. This at times requires me to identify and use the appropriate approach with different individuals, to explain to them what needs to be done, what they can expect and how to move forward. This is especially useful when I am dealing with complaints, and want to make things right. The end goal is always to ensure that clients have an amazing spa experience, and leave happy. Thus it is my responsibility to accomplish this for them, all while learning from the experience and communicating the situation/outcome to my colleagues and manager.

Thank you in advance
What position is it ? With Civil Service you need to read the job description carefully and adapt skills to that . My advise is add something about online help . So for example when assisting clients you help them navigate the system to make future bookings smooth .
Hello34
Rep:
(Original post by myalauryn)
What position is it ? With Civil Service you need to read the job description carefully and adapt skills to that . My advise is add something about online help . So for example when assisting clients you help them navigate the system to make future bookings smooth .
It's for an EO position. I've checked the job description and what behaviours they are assessing, and this paragraph here is me trying to write about 'Managing a Quality Service.

Thanks for your feedback and time. I'll definitely add that in. I was also thinking maybe that I should make the skills the different behaviours and use star to answer them. Does that sound smart?

Thank you in advance
myalauryn
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
(Original post by Hello34)
It's for an EO position. I've checked the job description and what behaviours they are assessing, and this paragraph here is me trying to write about 'Managing a Quality Service.

Thanks for your feedback and time. I'll definitely add that in. I was also thinking maybe that I should make the skills the different behaviours and use star to answer them. Does that sound smart?

Thank you in advance
yes always use the STAR . The answers are always in the description
Hello34
Rep:
(Original post by myalauryn)
yes always use the STAR . The answers are always in the description
Thank you again.

Honestly, maybe is just this application because I have read it multiple times, and asked other people to do it too and there is no guidance on how to answer the skills and experiences part. They only talk about how to answer the Technical questions and have a reminder not to include any identifying information the CV.

Anyway, back to my application.
myalauryn
Rep:
Report 3 months ago
I have been successful in a AO role . They are looking for skills that relate to the position and how you go about tasks from beginning to end . Be specific on scenarios . Any questions message me x
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (60)
34.68%
The paper was reasonable (68)
39.31%
Not feeling great about that exam... (28)
16.18%
It was TERRIBLE (17)
9.83%

Watched Threads